Induction range hotspot?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2021 8:56 pm
[OP]
Jun 17, 2015
77 posts
3 upvotes

Induction range hotspot?

I bought a frigidaire induction range model #CGIF3036TF from Costco back in April and I hadn't noticed back then but now I see that there seems to be a hotspot so the food does not cook evenly when I try to fry some food. I am past 90 day return window for appliances but I still have warranty. Is this something warranty could fix or it's just a poor cooktop? I like benefits of induction but are all induction cooktops like this because I much prefer even heat of radiant cooktop ranges. What could I do if warranty says it's normal and can't be fixed?

Here's 2 videos showing water boiling, you can see the hot spot is more pronounce with cast iron, I know it's not as good as a conductor but both pans are induction compatible.

I also tried the smallest pan I had and it seems better maybe because the coil underneath is not big enough. I also tried moving these bigger pans to different burners and had the same results as this is the biggest burner on the stovetop.

Cast iron pan:
https://youtu.be/-3iriMJvOhY

Stainless Steel Pan:
https://youtu.be/tEGdjVHnnU8
9 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2789 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
What is the size of both pans in the video? Look like 12” pan and that element is supposed to accommodate maximum of 9.4”. The rapid boiling circle looks much smaller than the pan.

Assuming matched correctly I do not have that issue on mine which is also a Frigidaire. My largest element is 10” and my largest pan is also 10”.

The marking on the cooktop is not for the maximum size of pan. It is just an indicator that the pan can be placed anywhere/offcentered within that circle boundary. My 10” element has a larger 12” boundary
[OP]
Jun 17, 2015
77 posts
3 upvotes
bubuski wrote: What is the size of both pans in the video? Look like 12” pan and that element is supposed to accommodate maximum of 9.4”. The rapid boiling circle looks much smaller than the pan.

Assuming matched correctly I do not have that issue on mine which is also a Frigidaire. My largest element is 10” and my largest pan is also 10”.

The marking on the cooktop is not for the maximum size of pan. It is just an indicator that the pan can be placed anywhere/offcentered within that circle boundary. My 10” element has a larger 12” boundary
Pan bottom is 10.5” in size which should fit according to the range user manual. The marking on the cooktop is suppose to be maximum size of the pan according to the manual.
Images
  • 8B86BE4A-07B0-45CF-BFCF-182A7199A114.jpeg
Nov 15, 2004
251 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Based on the cooktop specifications, the largest element is 9.4":

Right Rear: 5.5" (140 mm) Induction
Left Front: 7" (180 mm) Induction
Left Rear: 7" (180 mm) Induction
Right Front: 9.4" (240 mm) Induction

With a 10.5" pan, you will have some spots around the edges that will not be as hot.

The cast iron video is surprising though. Maybe there isn't enough contact on some sections or it's slightly off center from the element?
[OP]
Jun 17, 2015
77 posts
3 upvotes
AmirPars wrote: Based on the cooktop specifications, the largest element is 9.4":

Right Rear: 5.5" (140 mm) Induction
Left Front: 7" (180 mm) Induction
Left Rear: 7" (180 mm) Induction
Right Front: 9.4" (240 mm) Induction

With a 10.5" pan, you will have some spots around the edges that will not be as hot.

The cast iron video is surprising though. Maybe there isn't enough contact on some sections or it's slightly off center from the element?
Where did you get those specs from? I couldn't seem to find them on frigidaires website. I also took a level and layed it across the bottom of the pans since they say they have to be flat but these pans are brand new but there seems to be a small air gap in the center. I am not sure how much impact that has.
Images
  • 20210218_104555.jpg
  • 20210218_104523.jpg
Nov 15, 2004
251 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
Some manufacturers make it difficult to see the actual burner sizes. I've been looking at induction ranges and I've been very sensitive to finding one that supports a larger diameter pot!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2789 posts
1254 upvotes
Mississauga
cellucc wrote: Pan bottom is 10.5” in size which should fit according to the range user manual. The marking on the cooktop is suppose to be maximum size of the pan according to the manual.
I just took a look at my manual that explains inner and outer ring. They didn’t use the “pan just right” stock image in mine.

So it should fit according to Frigidaire but I don’t see how you can avoid hot spots if the pan has not heated enough to retain and pass on some residual heat to the liquid in it.

My smaller elements are 1” smaller than the outer ring. My largest element is 2” smaller than its outer ring. So seems they are saying it is ok to use pans larger than the elements. Mine has multiple circles and I usually stick to the next size down from the ring which is the size of each element.
Images
  • 131C8C44-1ACA-40DB-B3AB-E15734D4E5EA.jpeg
  • D904220D-7FBC-4E39-900E-FF35C07ADA8B.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4892 posts
1259 upvotes
cellucc wrote: Where did you get those specs from? I couldn't seem to find them on frigidaires website. I also took a level and layed it across the bottom of the pans since they say they have to be flat but these pans are brand new but there seems to be a small air gap in the center. I am not sure how much impact that has.
I think the slight concave bottom, particularly on the cast iron pan, will have an impact on performance. No question.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
May 21, 2015
870 posts
416 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I have a GE Profile induction stove. One small fry pan I have, a Gotham Steel 9" pan seems to do this when I fry a couple of eggs where as the larger 11" pan doesn't. I also had a steel based aluminum pot that would not work at all in the GE but did work on my induction hotplate. All my other pots and pans work fine.