Home & Garden

Industrial rope tied to my house - Does anyone know what this is for?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2016 11:24 am
Dec 7, 2006
466 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto

Industrial rope tied to my house - Does anyone know what this is for?

I woke up this morning and found a rope (It says "Slick Tape" on it) outside my house, and it looks to be going down to my basement where some wiring runs. I didn't have a note in my mailbox or didn't give anyone permission to do this, so I'm curious what this is for. I did some research and it looks like this is industrial rope that has something to do with underground cables. Would anyone know what this could be for?
Slick Tape.jpg
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Does it go to a conduit somewhere? It could be one of the utilities pulling a new wire to your house, maybe Bell Fibe
Dec 7, 2006
466 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
schade wrote: Does it go to a conduit somewhere? It could be one of the utilities pulling a new wire to your house, maybe Bell Fibe
Yes it does: http://q.dam-img.rfdcontent.com/cms/002 ... iginal.jpg

I noticed the same rope tied to one of my neighbor's house as well. Would Bell do this even if we didn't sign up for Bell? Could they just be getting the neighborhood ready for Fibe? I tried gently pulling the rope and it feels like it's tied to something in the ground or something is weighing it down.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Probably just pulling conduit. Might not be to your basement, but through the underground lines.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Dec 7, 2006
466 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote: Probably just pulling conduit. Might not be to your basement, but through the underground lines.

bjl
Thanks. I wish they had left a note or something to tell me why they're tying a rope to my house!