• Dec 18th, 2020 3:53 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2013
374 posts
313 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

inexpensive 50" TV?

Hi all,

I am looking for a TV around 50" for my basement gym, mostly to watch youtube. I don't need anything fancy, don't need 4K.
I was considering TCL, but looks like they have soap opera effects (most models) and I hate that.
Any recommendations?
13 replies
Nov 25, 2020
48 posts
40 upvotes
I have a 55 " TCL 6 series and it is awesome. If you're seeing the soap opera effect then the store is doing it an injustice. If you can play around with the settings at the store then you'll see how good it can look.
Nov 22, 2018
154 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
isnt TCL the one which has the Chinese spyware/backdoors built in to the firmware?
Dec 6, 2020
377 posts
354 upvotes
EndeavourX wrote: isnt TCL the one which has the Chinese spyware/backdoors built in to the firmware?
Every smart TV has embedded spyware. Tracking and selling your viewing habits is the entire business model of smart TVs.

If you buy a Chinese smart TV you will get Chinese spyware. Buy anything else and you'll get American spyware. Pick your poison....or buy a large monitor instead.
Nov 22, 2018
154 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
middleofnowhere wrote: Every smart TV has embedded spyware. Tracking and selling your viewing habits is the entire business model of smart TVs.

is that demonstrably true?
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4728 posts
1693 upvotes
The ONLY time you get none of that spyware is that you get yourself and android box and do not use any of the TV's built in crap.

I never connected my TVs to WiFi.

Unnecessary when you have to Android Boxes (both from Asia and both unlocked) that gives you all the necessary channels, movies, drama shows/series you need.

My mom's 55" Sharp is the same ... got her an Android Box from Asia and no need to worrry.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Banned
Sep 3, 2005
3154 posts
799 upvotes
Vaughan
If its just for youtube and you don't need 4k. Just buy a used tv off kijiji. I sold my 46 inch samsung for $150. I'm sure there are similar deals to be found.

Soap opera effect can be turned off on most tv's if not all. Demo display tv's in stores will have this effect because it prevents motion blur and judder.

You could probably get a tv for around $100 on kijiji.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Dec 6, 2020
377 posts
354 upvotes
EndeavourX wrote: lol, I think thats apocryphal
In that case, I'm sure Consumer Reports will be happy to accept a correction from you.

I'm also sure that the company which makes content recognition spyware used in Smart TVs will be very amused to be told they don't exist.

Did you realize that there were two links in my post? Did you read them?
Nov 22, 2018
154 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga - ON
middleofnowhere wrote: In that case, I'm sure Consumer Reports will be happy to accept a correction from you.

I'm also sure that the company which makes content recognition spyware used in Smart TVs will be very amused to be told they don't exist.

Did you realize that there were two links in my post? Did you read them?
sorry actually no, I didnt see any links in your post (they arent very obvious on this forum)
thats why I was scoffing a little at the 'demonstrably' bit

:)