• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 2:19 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
816 posts
388 upvotes

Infant milk amount?

Hey guys
We have 3 weeks old boy, we have been feeding him (breastfeed and formula 1 time before sleep), 30 ml per feed until 2 weeks and now about 60ml, sometimes even 80ml. According to articles it says 45-90ml... so I thought it was okay.
Recently we have figured the boy throws up often after feeding, even with nice burping....
Do you think we feed him too much?
11 replies
Dec 12, 2005
517 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond
You can try decreasing the amount and see the result or increase it gradually. 30ml to 60ml is a big jump. Babies would have those growth spurt and usually, the cue is they still feel hungry even after the feed.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1225 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
Is he actually vomiting or is he spitting up?

Spitting up can be normal for some babies. Typically, a 3 month old would be fed on demand so it shouldn’t really be a “set” amount that you’re giving him. It could be that you’re giving him way too much since he’s being breastfed and supplemented with formula. I would reduce the amount and just feed him on demand. Also, try burping him multiple times per feed.

If this doesn’t work then you should take him to the doctor. Sometimes vomiting/spitting up can be a sign of an allergy.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2317 posts
1117 upvotes
Ottawa
ESJExplorer wrote: Hey guys
We have 3 weeks old boy, we have been feeding him (breastfeed and formula 1 time before sleep), 30 ml per feed until 2 weeks and now about 60ml, sometimes even 80ml. According to articles it says 45-90ml... so I thought it was okay.
Recently we have figured the boy throws up often after feeding, even with nice burping....
Do you think we feed him too much?
Does he throw up only after Formula? If he breastfeeds he doesn't need formula after. Are you trying to get him to sleep longer? This is unrealistic at 3 weeks. Are you pumping and using a bottle? Try a slower bottle designed for breastfeeding. It might help also.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33997 posts
19850 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree to reduce it back and see if he cries for more.
Some kids will drink to their heart contents, even when full.
Oct 24, 2010
881 posts
666 upvotes
Ottawa
We didn't use formula, but the advice we received (and followed) for breastmilk was to allow our son to drink until he didn't want any more. Infants know when they're done.

We were told to wake him to feed him every couple of hours until he hit his birth weight. For #2, we're planning to ignore that advice. It was hard on everyone, and he gained weight so quickly that he would have been fine meeting the doctors' metric for weight gain if he had just fed when he woke, even if it ended up to be 3-4 hours between feedings some nights.

Spitting up is certainly normal. Vomiting isn't. There's a difference between the two.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2044 posts
546 upvotes
Woodbridge
Make sure you use correct amount of water/formula (60ml of water + 1 scoop of formula) if using powder and make sure you mix it well as if the formula milk has not mixed well it causes the infants to vomit due to the fact that their stomach is tiny (size of a walnut at 3 weeks).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9941 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
3-4 hours, when the baby cried its hungry, but when sleeping, your fine., my baby slept through the nite (4 1/2) hours, took turns feeding.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6764 posts
1249 upvotes
Scarborough
We’ve just had twins and the hospital nursery told us its every 3 hrs for now we feed them
Increase the amount slowly....(breastfeeding shoukd be enough if there’s enough milk if the mother)....no need to give firmula
Give em 2 yrs breastmilk and start feeding soft food after 4-5 months. Gotta get few burps each time you feed...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9016 posts
10446 upvotes
Vancouver
apnayloags wrote: We’ve just had twins and the hospital nursery told us its every 3 hrs for now we feed them
Increase the amount slowly....(breastfeeding shoukd be enough if there’s enough milk if the mother)....no need to give firmula
Give em 2 yrs breastmilk and start feeding soft food after 4-5 months. Gotta get few burps each time you feed...
3 hours? That's a long time between feedings for newborns. Also don't agree with "increase the amount slowly". We just ignored the clock and fed them when they wanted to eat. It was usually every 1-2 hours, 3-4 was unusual. The more you feed, the more breast milk is produced. So if you want good supply, feed often! Letting babes cry for food because the clock hasn't reached its expected number yet is not a good idea IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6764 posts
1249 upvotes
Scarborough
Kiraly wrote: 3 hours? That's a long time between feedings for newborns. Also don't agree with "increase the amount slowly". We just ignored the clock and fed them when they wanted to eat. It was usually every 1-2 hours, 3-4 was unusual. The more you feed, the more breast milk is produced. So if you want good supply, feed often! Letting babes cry for food because the clock hasn't reached its expected number yet is not a good idea IMO.
Yeah i agree, feed amount and frequency increases within days. My post was about initial recommendation from the hospital paediatrics. But yeah need to pump and guve mother’s milk which is best.
Sometimes try gripe water it helps ease the digestion and/or gas etc.
Aug 15, 2009
939 posts
603 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: 3 hours? That's a long time between feedings for newborns. Also don't agree with "increase the amount slowly". We just ignored the clock and fed them when they wanted to eat. It was usually every 1-2 hours, 3-4 was unusual. The more you feed, the more breast milk is produced. So if you want good supply, feed often! Letting babes cry for food because the clock hasn't reached its expected number yet is not a good idea IMO.
Yes every 3 hours or when crying for newborn I was told 2 years ago by the nurse and paediatrics. And if it falls to sleep, you need to wake him up so she/he can drink what its needs.