• Jan 6th, 2019 2:17 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
legendofxix wrote: The camera specialty shops, (ie Blacks and Henrys) aren't really equipped for it since its a specialty store (Cameras for adults...not babies).
You could always try your luck with them though. Its difficult but definitely doable.
Cameras for adults and not babies? :confused:

How can they not be equipped for it?
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1724 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
KorruptioN wrote: Cameras for adults and not babies? :confused:

How can they not be equipped for it?
Actually, many places won't do young babies (ie, before they can sit up or under 3 or 4 months old) passport photos. I guess what they are lacking is the high seat for young babies and the patience to get the baby's attention? Ah, perhaps the type of flash on the camera is not suitable for young babies.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Which is why having the infant lie down ontop of a white board usually works...
Deal with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
84 upvotes
rrraven wrote: We just did it ourselves, laid 6wk old infant on white sheet (posterboard sounds even better, if you have matte and not glossy), shot a bunch digitally, picked one with eyes open and head mostly straight, then resized so it would come out right and had copies printed at the corner drugstore, which we trimmed to size with regular old scissors (though a papercutter would make it a bit easier to look professional).
I believe you need to have it certified from the photographer with a stamp on the back.

We did our 2 month old at walmart. they put a white sheet over a baby seat and set her in it. worked great
Jan 9, 2009
158 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
We weren't able to get it done for our 5 month old at Costco Kitchener. They did do it for our 18 month old though.

We went to Sears for the infant.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
junkyardbottles wrote: We weren't able to get it done for our 5 month old at Costco Kitchener. They did do it for our 18 month old though.

We went to Sears for the infant.

No problem at blacks...you just put your hand up the back of their shirt and as long as you dont seen the hand then fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3566 posts
1644 upvotes
Brampton
costco in heartland didnt want to so went with walmart across the street
dont know about specialized equipment since I just sat in a regular chair with my baby in my lap
my hands were behind her dress to prop her up
she was 3 months then
Mar 13, 2012
25 posts
3 upvotes
THORNHILL
rrraven wrote: We just did it ourselves, laid 6wk old infant on white sheet (posterboard sounds even better, if you have matte and not glossy), shot a bunch digitally, picked one with eyes open and head mostly straight, then resized so it would come out right and had copies printed at the corner drugstore, which we trimmed to size with regular old scissors (though a papercutter would make it a bit easier to look professional).

And...? Have you actually taken your application to the Passport Office? Because the passport photo rule says it has to be taken by a "commercial" photographer, with the name of the studio or photographer on the back of the photo.

I went to Blacks at Hillcrest mall in Richmond Hill to get it done.
I had tried Costco at Woodbine and Hwy 7, but they said no baby passport photo. Also tried Shoppers but no luck. I think it depends on whether the photographer is willing to spend some time on it or not, rather than the equipment s/he has.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
CeeEll wrote: And...? Have you actually taken your application to the Passport Office? Because the passport photo rule says it has to be taken by a "commercial" photographer, with the name of the studio or photographer on the back of the photo.

I had tried Costco at Woodbine and Hwy 7, but they said no baby passport photo. Also tried Shoppers but no luck. I think it depends on whether the photographer is willing to spend some time on it or not, rather than the equipment s/he has.
Considering that post is about five years old, I'd say they've dealt with it in some manner by now.
Jan 9, 2009
158 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
nalababe wrote: No problem at blacks...you just put your hand up the back of their shirt and as long as you dont seen the hand then fine.

Black's near us was pretty expensive though. $25 per kid versus the $7-$15 I find everywhere else.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
junkyardbottles wrote: Black's near us was pretty expensive though. $25 per kid versus the $7-$15 I find everywhere else.

For us it is convenience: 2 minutes away, very friendly, no queues

...plus having the guarantee is nice.
Feb 1, 2007
582 posts
12 upvotes
We took our baby (8 months) passport photos at the Superstore in Kitchener. When I asked if they take baby passport photos, the lady said "Sure, let's give it a try."

The passport office accepted the photos and we got our passport.
Dec 25, 2005
230 posts
6 upvotes
CeeEll wrote: And...? Have you actually taken your application to the Passport Office? Because the passport photo rule says it has to be taken by a "commercial" photographer, with the name of the studio or photographer on the back of the photo.

What is "Commercial"? That is subjective. There is no license requirement to be a photographer. There is no levels of photographers too. Canada is being Canada again with this unclear information. Your friend took the picture for you and charge you money. He was the photographer. Commercial? You paid him.
Feb 28, 2005
41 posts
1 upvote
We had our son's passport photo taken at Shoppers Drug Mart in April when he was 3 weeks old. We spent abot 1.5 hours trying to get a decent picture. In the end, thd best photo we had had my hand showing at the very bottom of the photo. I was worried that this picture would be rejected so we went in person to apply for his passport and they just laughed at me when I pointed out my hand and cut off that portion with a pair of scissors.

Needless to say everything worked out even though his eyes were crossed in the photo and it looked nothing like him when we left for Europe when he was three months old.
Jan 7, 2006
428 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
uwo2001 wrote: We had our son's passport photo taken at Shoppers Drug Mart in April when he was 3 weeks old.
Needless to say everything worked out even though his eyes were crossed in the photo and it looked nothing like him when we left for Europe when he was three months old.
LOL, you think it looked nothing like him at 3 months old, wait till he is 5 and still has that passport!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
rrraven wrote: LOL, you think it looked nothing like him at 3 months old, wait till he is 5 and still has that passport!
I once crossed the border using my Citizenship card from when I was 8 (I misplaced my passport and grabbed the only immigration documentation I thought was acceptable for a flight). The border agent had a good laugh when I pulled out the card - I don't think people try this too often - but waved me through with the strong advice that I pick something with a more current photograph next time.
Mar 13, 2012
25 posts
3 upvotes
THORNHILL
rrraven wrote: LOL, you think it looked nothing like him at 3 months old, wait till he is 5 and still has that passport!
And that is precisely why infant passports expire in 3 years.
Jan 9, 2009
158 posts
34 upvotes
Ontario
CeeEll wrote: And that is precisely why infant passports expire in 3 years.
3 year old child would hardly look like what it did at 3 weeks.

Not sure why they don't skip the photograph for the young ones, like the health card.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
junkyardbottles wrote: 3 year old child would hardly look like what it did at 3 weeks.

Not sure why they don't skip the photograph for the young ones, like the health card.
You can get a replacement card at one year without any additional cost for this reason.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4927 posts
17525 upvotes
TORONTO
junkyardbottles wrote: Not sure why they don't skip the photograph for the young ones, like the health card.
I second that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)