Automotive

Infiniti JX35: Warranty expired...which way to go?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 10:01 am
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard

Infiniti JX35: Warranty expired...which way to go?

Hi,

First time posting in the Automotive forum. As mentioned in the title, I have an Infiniti Jx35, 2013. Its warranty finished last month. I used to do all the maintenance (oil, rotation, disks and pads,..) at the Infiniti dealer. Now my car needs an engine oil change and new front disks. Thus, I would like to seek your advice and experience. What will you do in my case:

1- Do you still go to Infiniti dealer ( expensive option ) and is it worth it?
2- Go to any garage and have it fixed there with after-market parts I assume?
3- or try to buy original parts online (hopefully cheaper) and have it installed at the garage?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated...Thx
30 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
1) "Worth it" is subjective. Do you use the extra services the dealer offers? Do you sit around in their waiting area on WiFi drinking free coffee? Do you use their shuttle service to drop off and pickup the car? Can you appreciate the fact that they work on your type of vehicle day-in and day-out, and have all of the special tools and latest information, to get the job done right and on time?

2) An independent garage can use original parts of you ask them to. But they will use aftermarket parts by default. Usually the cheapest, lowest quality stuff unless you specify otherwise.

3) You're not going to find original parts online significantly cheaper than at the dealer.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2027 posts
1294 upvotes
Durham
derass wrote: 3) You're not going to find original parts online significantly cheaper than at the dealer.
I've ordered Nissan parts at half the cost from US dealerships, after conversion and shipping. But thats if you can wait.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2027 posts
1294 upvotes
Durham
engineer4all wrote: Hi,

First time posting in the Automotive forum. As mentioned in the title, I have an Infiniti Jx35, 2013. Its warranty finished last month. I used to do all the maintenance (oil, rotation, disks and pads,..) at the Infiniti dealer. Now my car needs an engine oil change and new front disks. Thus, I would like to seek your advice and experience. What will you do in my case:

3- or try to buy original parts online (hopefully cheaper) and have it installed at the garage?

I would work with a mechanic you trust in your area. But, to be honest, my Pathfinder (same car) is off warranty and has been nothing but issues since (fuel pump, transmission codes, leather ripping despite being taken car off, a lot of interior rattling, 2nd brake job in 4 years, even a bluetooth error code). If your mileage is up there, I'd look into something more reliable.
Last edited by Kkhan15 on Jul 7th, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12567 posts
6629 upvotes
derass wrote: 1) "Worth it" is subjective. Do you use the extra services the dealer offers? Do you sit around in their waiting area on WiFi drinking free coffee? Do you use their shuttle service to drop off and pickup the car? Can you appreciate the fact that they work on your type of vehicle day-in and day-out, and have all of the special tools and latest information, to get the job done right and on time?

2) An independent garage can use original parts of you ask them to. But they will use aftermarket parts by default. Usually the cheapest, lowest quality stuff unless you specify otherwise.

3) You're not going to find original parts online significantly cheaper than at the dealer.
You need to find a better independent garage.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37373 posts
23437 upvotes
Center of Universe

How's the tranny?
It's a ticking time bomb.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard
Hi,

Thx for all the feedback. For example if I want to change the front disks with pads, it will cost me around $700 at the Infiniti dealer. I found it very pricey, isn't it?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37373 posts
23437 upvotes
Center of Universe

Thx for all the feedback. For example if I want to change the front disks with pads, it will cost me around $700 at the Infiniti dealer. I found it very pricey, isn't it?
Yes, very expensive just for the fronts.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32826 posts
14546 upvotes

What do you mean "still"? Why would you go to a stealership to begin with...unless you had maintenance package on it? My car has seen a dealership bay all of one time after I drove it off the lot, which was the first oil change which was free. It has a pending recall (Takata) which I've been putting off for some time now because I really don't want clowns touching my car--I'd rather take my chances with metal shrapnel lol. I am planning to get it done in a month or two but really don't want to have them do the work, but got no choice.
engineer4all wrote: 2- Go to any garage and have it fixed there with after-market parts I assume?
No.
engineer4all wrote: 3- or try to buy original parts online (hopefully cheaper) and have it installed at the garage?

Also no. Dude if you're an engineer as your username implies...get your hands dirty already--deeee eye why. My advice is I wouldn't let anyone touch my car if I were you, especially not a stealer. But, that's just my $0.02.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard
ES_Revenge wrote: What do you mean "still"? Why would you go to a stealership to begin with...unless you had maintenance package on it? My car has seen a dealership bay all of one time after I drove it off the lot, which was the first oil change which was free. It has a pending recall (Takata) which I've been putting off for some time now because I really don't want clowns touching my car--I'd rather take my chances with metal shrapnel lol. I am planning to get it done in a month or two but really don't want to have them do the work, but got no choice.

No.

Also no. Dude if you're an engineer as your username implies...get your hands dirty already--deeee eye why. My advice is I wouldn't let anyone touch my car if I were you, especially not a stealer. But, that's just my $0.02.
I agree with you. I don't mind doing it myself if i have the skills needed with proper equipments...right? This is why I started this thread to seek different experience and opinions. So it seems getting the parts cheaper somehow and having a trusted mechanic to install it are the best options. At least, I will manage the process somehow ;)
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard
Kkhan15 wrote: I've ordered Nissan parts at half the cost from US dealerships, after conversion and shipping. But thats if you can wait.
Is it along wait? Also, will you be charged customs since coming from US?
Thx
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard
Kkhan15 wrote: I would work with a mechanic you trust in your area. But, to be honest, my Pathfinder (same car) is off warranty and has been nothing but issues since (fuel pump, transmission codes, leather ripping despite being taken car off, a lot of interior rattling, 2nd brake job in 4 years, even a bluetooth error code). If your mileage is up there, I'd look into something more reliable.
You are right. Just before my warranty finished, I got an issue with my CVT ( transmission related). I was lucky and got it fixed. Now I start questioning whether more issues to come. It's 7 years old (2013 model) with 127K mileage. I still see the QX60 all around, and it seems to be a success in its category. If we are looking for other reliable options for the same size, which options do we have other than Audi Q7 or Acura MDX???

Thx
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2027 posts
1294 upvotes
Durham
engineer4all wrote: Is it along wait? Also, will you be charged customs since coming from US?
Thx
This was a good few years ago when I had a Maxima. Not sure how it is now. Needed a MAF for it and was literally half the cost of local dealership. At the same time ordered coil packs as those were much cheaper as well. Also at the time dollar was closer to the US dollar. Wait was not long. From Texas to Ontario within a week. Was dinged customs, but still worked out much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2027 posts
1294 upvotes
Durham
engineer4all wrote: You are right. Just before my warranty finished, I got an issue with my CVT ( transmission related). I was lucky and got it fixed. Now I start questioning whether more issues to come. It's 7 years old (2013 model) with 127K mileage. I still see the QX60 all around, and it seems to be a success in its category. If we are looking for other reliable options for the same size, which options do we have other than Audi Q7 or Acura MDX???

Thx
I'm honestly not too sure whats good in the segment as we are looking more into downsizing. Reason we had got the Pathfinder is with our road trips, my mom or mother-in-law came with us a lot. But they can't handle the drives anymore, so we don't really need the 7 seater.
Apr 28, 2013
320 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto

Sounds like the labor cost is quite high and they are likely up-charging you on the actual part cost.

Looks like OE parts are 130ish for the rotors and 120ish for the pads, so around 400 total.
I've heard these Infiniti brakes are not even particular good quality, so you could definitely consider oem parts which may be cheaper and even better quality. It's not a sports car lol, you don't need anything fancy.

My parents have a jx35, we will likely just buy oem parts (not oe) and do it ourselves when the time comes.

Any mechanic should be able to do this, it's an easy job, shouldn't take more than an hour.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2027 posts
1294 upvotes
Durham
gabe3366 wrote: Sounds like the labor cost is quite high and they are likely up-charging you on the actual part cost.

Looks like OE parts are 130ish for the rotors and 120ish for the pads, so around 400 total.
I've heard these Infiniti brakes are not even particular good quality, so you could definitely consider oem parts which may be cheaper and even better quality. It's not a sports car lol, you don't need anything fancy.

My parents have a jx35, we will likely just buy oem parts (not oe) and do it ourselves when the time comes.

Any mechanic should be able to do this, it's an easy job, shouldn't take more than an hour.
What I have learned is that even if labour actually takes an hour, dealership labour costs are dictated by their Service bulletins. For example, I need a fuel pump. My mechanic is charging an hour labour as it only takes an hour max. However, Nissan's Service bulletin claims it is a 3 hr job, so any Nissan dealership will charge 3 hours even if it only takes them an hour so.

And with the brakes, its not the quality with the JX and Pathfinder. The brakes are undersized for the size/weight of these SUV's. I've compared sizing with other vehicles and they are small. Even my 06 BMW 330 has much larger rotor and pads up front. Even my rear rotor is larger than the Pathfinder front. The Pathfinder does stop well, but the undersizing is what cause our pads to fail earlier than normal.
[OP]
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard
Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback. My question now, do you recommend any places where I can get oem parts for my JX35? If it's against the rules to post them here, may you PM me ?

Thx again
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6546 posts
4078 upvotes
Toronto
engineer4all wrote: Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback. My question now, do you recommend any places where I can get oem parts for my JX35? If it's against the rules to post them here, may you PM me ?

Thx again
Depending on the part. For oil filters, I like to stick with OEM brandings. Nissan filters are top notch. For alternator, better to get the rebuilt from local auto electric shops.

For general parts, I use rockauto regularly but shop around locally because shipping kills the deal sometimes.