[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1337 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Infiniti Q50 vs G37 Mechanical Review

Here's a mechanical comparison of the old G37 vs the current Q50 sedan:

The Infiniti Q50 has a 3.0L twin turbo V6.
Here's an under-hood shot of the Q50. Notice all the cooling hoses sprawling all over the engine bay, and 3 radiator caps! The Turbo intercoolers have their own dedicated electric water pump and circuit.

As a comparison, the G37 has a naturally aspirated 3.7L V6, and the engine bay looks a bit more calm:

To be honest, with a the exception of the engine and a slight change to the rear suspension, both the Q50 and G37 are exactly the same underneath, including the transmission, AWD setup and exhaust.

Which do you all prefer?
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
5 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1172 posts
520 upvotes
From a styling perspective I prefer the Q50 but to be frank, the G35 coupe is really the only car in Infiniti's line up (present or past) that did anything for me. When it was first released was one of my attainable dream cars as a teenager. Nothing in their current line up interests me. Even the Q50S Red Sport is a meh. Is that your Q50?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35253 posts
21231 upvotes
Center of Universe
I prefer the NA v6... nothing beats that stock exhaust note.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3549 posts
295 upvotes
Richmond
The NA V6 is indeed really nice, its smooth and the power is predictable with no lag. Premium gas only though, and the fuel economy is horrible compared to any newer car.

I own the G37x coupe and my favorite part is the steering feel. I've driven many Q50 courtesy cars and they all feel numb, it's always such a contrast getting back into the G. Aside from German rivals, it's probably got the best steering of any car in its class.

The new infotainment system is also a bit laggy in the Q50 and takes a bit of time booting up, so you need to wait a while before the backup camera comes on when starting the car.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1625 posts
752 upvotes
Center of the univer…
M@rk wrote: The NA V6 is indeed really nice, its smooth and the power is predictable with no lag. Premium gas only though, and the fuel economy is horrible compared to any newer car.

I own the G37x coupe and my favorite part is the steering feel. I've driven many Q50 courtesy cars and they all feel numb, it's always such a contrast getting back into the G. Aside from German rivals, it's probably got the best steering of any car in its class.

The new infotainment system is also a bit laggy in the Q50 and takes a bit of time booting up, so you need to wait a while before the backup camera comes on when starting the car.
This was resolved post 2016 q50, loads up quite faster (infotainment and camera etc.)