Automotive

Infiniti Redesigned 2022 QX60 - 3.5L V6??

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2021 8:32 pm
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
586 posts
263 upvotes

Infiniti Redesigned 2022 QX60 - 3.5L V6??

I have an old 2013 JX35 and was waiting for the QX60 redesign. I'm not here to debate what is the best luxury SUV, I always liked my Nissan/Infinity car and wanted to see what they would offer...

I followed the Monograph preview, and was expecting something new..

But I think Infiniti might have lost me here... Again a V6 3.5 Liter?? Like a little improved 2002 Altima 3.5L V6 VQ ?? 20 YEARS!!

Did Nissan cut all R&D? They will simply change their CVT for the same 9 speed ZF everyone else is using?
I thought they would at least adapt their 3.0T from the Q50 or the red sport...

QX60 2022

I'm sad and will probably look into something else... the QX60 was their best selling car, and it get no love...
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28578 posts
13977 upvotes
Toronto
well, Toyota is doing nothing (pretty much) with their engine lineup too. So, their motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
670 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
to be fair, the Nissan 3.5/3.7 VQ engine is one of Ward's 10 best all the time. It uses a timing chain and is a very durable and rugged design.

It has flaws, like the oil pan that always rusts away as just one small example. However it's a solid engine. Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford they all stick to a lot of these engines.

What i want to see, is moving away from that stupid liability CVT. That CVT is good for a daily driver but is a ticking time bomb, regardless of fluid maintenance and lubrication. The design and failure of critical components in the CVT is usually as a result of just wear that could happen at almost any mileage. As soon as what could be $2 worth of metal and parts breaks, it' cataclysmically explodes the entire CVT into pieces on the inside.
--
Jun 4, 2020
548 posts
461 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Honestly, looking at the specs for both the q50 and qx60 to get myself a bit of a baseline.

If they're putting the base tune 3.0T in the qx60, I'd take the old VQ 3.5 litre. For 5HP and 25lb/ft of torque, I have no interest in adding two turbos. If we are talking the hot tune, I'm willing to reconsider. EDIT: By reconsider, I'm cheap, so I likely wouldn't take the hot tune if I had the option, but would probably consider it for half a second or so.

Not touching the transmission choice as I'm one of those RFD's that likes the CVT in my current nissan. *Donning flame retardant suit*
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4740 upvotes
grisensko wrote: I have an old 2013 JX35 and was waiting for the QX60 redesign. I'm not here to debate what is the best luxury SUV, I always liked my Nissan/Infinity car and wanted to see what they would offer...

I followed the Monograph preview, and was expecting something new..

But I think Infiniti might have lost me here... Again a V6 3.5 Liter?? Like a little improved 2002 Altima 3.5L V6 VQ ?? 20 YEARS!!

Did Nissan cut all R&D? They will simply change their CVT for the same 9 speed ZF everyone else is using?
I thought they would at least adapt their 3.0T from the Q50 or the red sport...

QX60 2022

I'm sad and will probably look into something else... the QX60 was their best selling car, and it get no love...
Meh. Had a VQ before, still hold up these days. Especially if you don't want liability of FI engines long term. And remember that if there are engine changes, it'll only goes smaller displacement and sounds worse going forward. So a 20yr old VQ is a win in my book.

For mainstream family hauler. It's fine. It'll be a clone of pathfinder once again with change of material and nip/tuck.

Really, it's their best seller even as weak sauce as it is now. And their immediate competitor RX and MDX also starts with their tried and true V6s. With MDX may have a hot Type-S version down the road.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1595 posts
1801 upvotes
GTA
Engine aside, this might just be one of the best looking SUV's from the budget-premium crowd.

Love the champagne colour.

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28578 posts
13977 upvotes
Toronto
I see lots of Range Rover Velar DNA in the side and rear profile.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1595 posts
1801 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote: I see lots of Range Rover Velar DNA in the side and rear profile.
Yes! I think these are just renders based on the camouflage but it looks splendid.

The bar on Nissan/infinity has been pretty low this decade so nice to see the turnaround.
Jan 20, 2012
774 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
Lexus RX uses V6 3.5 since 2008
Acura MDX uses V6 3.5 since 2001

Not much to choose in Japnese unless go with German i4 turbo at similar price point.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7996 posts
609 upvotes
Brampton
As others mentioned there are pros and cons to not updating the engine. Biggest pro is the perceived reliability. Biggest con is missing out on the power and fuel economy enhancements over the years.

Gotta pick and choose.