• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2017 3:28 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2008
630 posts
189 upvotes
Ottawa

inflation protection

what are some ways to protect against inflation (and bubbles, like housing...) without risk? is a savings account my only option??

i have some cash that's sitting in a high interest savings account, chasing 2%, 3% wherever that may be... but seeing how the prices are going up on everything from insurance to orange juice to gas...I'm starting to think I need a better way to "invest". it can be locked in for 6 months or so at a time.

no risk and inflation protection would do it for me. i'm not after bit coin style returns. thanks!
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2085 posts
2509 upvotes
d5486 wrote: what are some ways to protect against inflation (and bubbles, like housing...) without risk? is a savings account my only option??

i have some cash that's sitting in a high interest savings account, chasing 2%, 3% wherever that may be... but seeing how the prices are going up on everything from insurance to orange juice to gas...I'm starting to think I need a better way to "invest". it can be locked in for 6 months or so at a time.

no risk and inflation protection would do it for me. i'm not after bit coin style returns. thanks!
I think your going to find it hard to get an investment that gets you more than 2-3% with no risk.

Investing in Dividend Growth Stocks or the CCP model have historically given higher returns than savings accounts or GICs. The risk is in the short term there is potential it could go down significantly.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2486 posts
907 upvotes
Investing is one thing, saving is another. You can't have both - they are fundamentally different. You get paid for risk, basically. If you want no risk, you will be paid less than inflation.

For something that will keep up with the base rate, try Rate Reset Preferred Shares.
Dec 13, 2005
306 posts
177 upvotes
Cash is a position that has upside and downside risks like any investment or trading position. I suggest that you consider your goals and volatility/risk tolerance and seek professional advice to help meet your goals.