Infotainment systems impact reaction times

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2020 10:40 am
16 replies
Oct 1, 2015
799 posts
970 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Ban buttons while you're at it. Shit, just ban cars.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18379 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you can't drive while using your Infotainment then you shouldn't be driving at all.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1153 posts
1023 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Interesting how Apple users are slower than Android users.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6828 posts
5728 upvotes
North York
Not arguing for the use of infotainment, but:

just posting a result of a study is an unfairly umbrella statement. You need to look at the sample size, how study is conducted, etc.

From what I see, 46 testers (relatively small size), many are of older generation (mean 37 and 45), some might not have used apple car play or android auto and need familiarization, etc. Testers were also only getting used to simulator (some got sick), etc.
Then, MOST IMPORTANTLY, this set of samples, 40 testers, were compared with some other sample pool that have the use of drug and alcohol.
It's like saying: My uncle, uses android auto, takes 1 sec to react. I, use pot, take 0.5 sec to react. Thus people who use pot have better reaction time than people who use android auto.

Unless they can come back with proper tests and larger pool, I'd had already discredited this study
Forty-six participants were recruited using an opportunistic sampling approach; there were six cases of simulator sickness (5 females and 1 male). For the 20 participants who completed the Android Auto trial, the average age was 45 years (range 20 to 77; sd=18); 15 were male and 5 were female. The 20 participants who completed Apple CarPlay trial had a mean age of 37 years (range 20 to 57; sd=9); 13 were male and 7 were female.
Participants completed a comprehensive familiarisation process. A standard familiarisation route was used, and participants drove it for at least five minutes, or until they were judged to be fully comfortable with the simulator and the driving task. This was to help participants to become comfortable with controlling the simulator vehicle and driving in the virtual environment. Following this, participants were made familiar with operating the infotainment system. Here, participants were given the opportunity to interact with either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (depending on the device they would be using for the trial). Participants were shown how to use Spotify, BBC iPlayer Radio, Maps, text messaging, and calling features and were asked to try running all of these apps independently. Participants only undertook their first drive once they were confident with using the infotainment system. Participants proceeded to undertake another familiarisation drive that included a car following task (driving at a safe and constant distance behind a lead vehicle) and a driving through traffic task. During this drive, participants were asked to interact with the infotainment system to get familiar with using the system whilst driving.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: If you can't drive while using your Infotainment then you shouldn't be driving at all.
Yeah for real. OP if you can't drive because your infotainment system is too complicated for you or slows you down pay a technician to yank it off your car. I myself don't slow down and am not distracted with my infotainment system. I don't take off my eyes off the road to push buttons, I have their location memorized.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1261 posts
1696 upvotes
West
bembol wrote: If you can't drive while using your Infotainment then you shouldn't be driving at all.
MusicBox wrote: Yeah for real. OP if you can't drive because your infotainment system is too complicated for you or slows you down pay a technician to yank it off your car. I myself don't slow down and am not distracted with my infotainment system. I don't take off my eyes off the road to push buttons, I have their location memorized.
I suppose it shouldn't surprise me these two posters are from the GTA. Classic egocentrism. We get that you may be able to drive with minimal impact, but the mass population is unlikely to. And guess what? Sometimes other users on the road matter more than yourself, and the most careful drivers get their lives destroyed by the recklessness or incompetence of others. We know that, generally speaking, everyone in a 60+ cohort is miserable with technology, this is no secret - how do you think they'd do with an infotainment system? My guess is not good.

Heck, even I can feel myself slowing down with respect to figuring out technology as I grow older. Thankfully for me, self-driving cars will be commonplace by the time I'm super old.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5831 posts
4512 upvotes
Well, the problem I see is there are plenty of people driving until 70s. All these new cars while having all the safety feature is actually more dangerous in their hands.

It doesn't matter any more. Everyone is now distracted. Infotainment tech doesn't really impact much on what's already lost.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34475 posts
20507 upvotes
Center of Universe
There's redundant steering wheel and voice command.
I haven't touched the infotainment since.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2875 posts
3739 upvotes
Edmonton
We use our phones constantly, it's not surprising that people can text and be much less distracted than when using their infotainment. Pretty crazy though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8409 posts
1305 upvotes
Vancouver
Funny all these laws about distracted driving yet they allow obnoxious 600 foot TVs pointed at the gardener. Thanks Jim Pattison
Autocorrect sucks
Dec 4, 2017
276 posts
252 upvotes
Hopefully with more roll out and usage of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, there would be less reliance on built in car infotainment functionality for people to remember.

Issue is car makers is trying to simplify manufacturing and install so they remove some direct access features. Seat heating which is used by Canadians often may require a few screen touches to set the right temperature when in the past it was a simple rocker Hi and Low switch. Lexus and Audi used to have a rolling dial for seat heating.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34475 posts
20507 upvotes
Center of Universe
sunnykw2305 wrote: Hopefully with more roll out and usage of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, there would be less reliance on built in car infotainment functionality for people to remember.

Issue is car makers is trying to simplify manufacturing and install so they remove some direct access features. Seat heating which is used by Canadians often may require a few screen touches to set the right temperature when in the past it was a simple rocker Hi and Low switch. Lexus and Audi used to have a rolling dial for seat heating.
Everything you mentioned can be controlled via voice command.
Apr 29, 2018
822 posts
470 upvotes
Vancouver
amkorp wrote: Interesting how Apple users are slower than Android users.
Probably coz they hav to keep switching between Apple forced Maps & Google Maps. I hate Apple for it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1066 posts
421 upvotes
Markham
Honda bucks industry trend by removing touchscreen controls

Jazz project leader Takeki Tanaka explained: “The reason is quite simple - we wanted to minimise driver disruption for operation, in particular, for the heater and air conditioning.

“We changed it from touchscreen to dial operation, as we received customer feedback that it was difficult to operate intuitively. You had to look at the screen to change the heater seating, therefore, we changed it so one can operate it without looking, giving more confidence while driving.”