ING Direct Email Money Transfer - not

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2012 4:29 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
26 upvotes

ING Direct Email Money Transfer - not

A word of caution about ING Direct's "free" EMTs for there chequing accounts. So I confirmed with the ING rep that it, takes 2 business days for ING to process the request and destination bank can hold those funds for up to 5 days! In contrast standard banks EMTs are process within 30 min. However, you are charged $1.50.

I don't see how this any different from signing a cheque over. Cheques clear in 5 business days max. ING EMTs can take up to 7 business days.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2665 posts
1135 upvotes
Calgary
Yeah, I was thinking of opening up a chequing account just to have the free e mail transfers but I read from a quite a few people who were complaining that they weren't true email transfers. Too bad.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3356 posts
402 upvotes
Mississauga
oh well this is kinda flop. :(

was this mentioned in the other ING direct thread?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2009
626 posts
26 upvotes
mbk.2k3 wrote: oh well this is kinda flop. :(

was this mentioned in the other ING direct thread?

No people were just complaining about EMT delays. I decided to call ING and get it from the horse's mouth.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15353 posts
6665 upvotes
Gatineau
Well the recipient's bank does NOT hold the funds, I'm not sure where this is coming from.

As for the ING EMT delays, The recipient will receive funds by the end of the following business day.

Example: On Monday one sends an ING EMT to a friend who banks with RBC. They will receive the Email right away and enter in their RBC Bank account information. The ING EMT gets processed the next day (Tuesday) as the sender will see this transaction posted to the ING Account on Tuesday. By the end of the business day (Tuesday) the funds should be posted to the RBC account with NO holds.

djino
"So technically it takes 1 business day to receive an ING EMT"
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25939 posts
7957 upvotes
where I belong
I used it once to pay for something on RFD, let's just say it didn't work (seller couldn't deposit it even though the $35 was deducted from my ING right away)
but I think 2~3 business days later that $35 showed up again in my ING

so I used the real TD EMT to pay the seller later.. oh well

It helps if both uses ING maybe?
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15353 posts
6665 upvotes
Gatineau
jerryhung wrote: I used it once to pay for something on RFD, let's just say it didn't work (seller couldn't deposit it even though the $35 was deducted from my ING right away)
From the very second you send off an ING EMT, the money is put on hold (not deducted) until the following business day. If the recipient accepts the ING EMT, the transaction is processed the following business day and the transaction posted (funds added to recipient's external account) by the end of the following business day and the money deducted from the sender's ING Account with the hold removed.

Most likely the recipient didn't answer the security question you had set up and/or apply his external bank's account information correctly.
jerryhung wrote: but I think 2~3 business days later that $35 showed up again in my ING
You have the option from your ING Online to cancel an ING EMT after it has been sent, but before the recipient has accepted it. The funds would stay on hold during this time until its either cancelled by you, or accepted by the recipient, or until the 30 day period has elapsed.

djino
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3355 posts
483 upvotes
Ottawa
No its not as good as a emt from TD or RBC

But its Free!!!
Hello
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21084 posts
5743 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
This was covered extensively when THRiVE first became available...

ING Direct does not offer an Interac E-mail Money Transfer.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
2120 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
It's not Interac money transfer, which is typically done within an hour. I guess ING's transfer service is some kind of an EFT done through email and this can take up to two business days.
Lior Hershkovitz
Broker at Mortgage Edge, specializes in construction financing and private lending
Construction rates start p+2.5%, 2nd mortgage start 5.99%, private financing start 7% max. 95% LTV
Jul 1, 2011
14 posts
TORONTO
Hello guys, (sorry for bringing up old thread)

How do you receive/claim Interac E-mail money transfer with ING account? I clicked the link on the email, but there is no ING on the list of banks :(
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15353 posts
6665 upvotes
Gatineau
zxlink wrote: Hello guys, (sorry for bringing up old thread)

How do you receive/claim Interac E-mail money transfer with ING account? I clicked the link on the email, but there is no ING on the list of banks :(

There should have been an option to click `Other bank`, and provide the details there. Though you should note Interact Emails is not instant if the receiver is NOT with one of the supported banks. Could take a few days.

djino
Mar 1, 2010
447 posts
39 upvotes
zxlink wrote: Hello guys, (sorry for bringing up old thread)

djino wrote: There should have been an option to click `Other bank`, and provide the details there. Though you should note Interact Emails is not instant if the receiver is NOT with one of the supported banks. Could take a few days.

djino
There's also a fee for non-supported banks.
Aug 29, 2011
5 posts
Jucius Maximus wrote: This was covered extensively when THRiVE first became available...

ING Direct does not offer an Interac E-mail Money Transfer.

Just wanted to note that ING Direct does have Interact e-Transfers now (formerly known as Interac Email Money Transfers). I just made the switch from PC since I saw it..and it's only $1.