• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 9:33 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
50 posts
8 upvotes

Inheriting a Fido account

This is very important to me. Is there anyone here familiar with internal Fido processes?

My father passed away overseas recently. I have a Fido phone number that is registered in his name, and it's extremely critical that I maintain access to this number (as opposed to it getting released back into the Fido pool of phone numbers). I am registered as a user, but don't have enough "rights" to transfer the number without him calling in (something we were going to do, but his death came completely unexpected).

What are my chances of having the ownership transferred now? What are the chances that they will go "Well then, we are closing the account, bye..."? I tried searching through Fido.com documentation but could not find anything.

I am not going to have any Canadian documents for his death as he did not have any estate here - pretty much the only thing I can show is a translated/notarized certificate of death from another country, which is gonna take at least 6 weeks to get done.
3 replies
May 2, 2019
723 posts
955 upvotes
Vancouver
CraigRFD wrote: What are my chances of having the ownership transferred now? What are the chances that they will go "Well then, we are closing the account, bye..."? I tried searching through Fido.com documentation but could not find anything.
Sorry for your loss.

I am not familiar with Fido's specific policies, but it's a safe bet they are interested in keeping a customer. As long as the account is in a good standing, you should be able to use it. That should give you enough time to wait for that certificate of death, assuming you are going to obtain it anyway. Without it, it's hard to expect Fido would/should take your word for it. Though there is a chance you'd encounter a manager who'd cut the corners out of compassion.

When you have a certificate of death, it's rather likely Fido will be supportive (both out of compassion and business interests). I was in a similar situation with another company (Virgin Mobile) over a decade ago. They didn't ask for anything but a certificate of death, and the transfer was smooth.

Edit: if you don't care about the Fido account and mainly need the phone number, consider porting it out to about any provider with Wireless Number Portability. It is ridiculously easy to highjack somebody's number in Canada with just a few extra pieces of info (like, any of the account number, password /PIN, or the phone’s ESN/IMEI numbers). You can do it without contacting Fido at all even today, assuming there is no debt. At the worst and unlikely case, Fido would try to get authorization from the current account owner, and the things will stay the same as they are today.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
2188 posts
644 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Ported out a number in a family members name to myself without any question or query. As the above poster said, people can very easily steal numbers nowadays. You can also get numbers into your name easily when it's not theft.
Aug 3, 2010
162 posts
291 upvotes
Windsor
Porting a number is a pretty trivial task. If you have the Fido account number, you should be able to port it without any issue.

If you want to keep it on Fido you could just keep paying the bill until you have the needed documentation to take over the account.