• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2016 10:35 am
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
315 posts
4 upvotes

Ins. claim question: rear window smashed and phone stolen

Hello RFDians,

An a**hole smashed the left side rear window and stole an iphone 4s from a '13 ml350 on a relative's benz. Would making a claim raise the premium?
or should this get repaired out of pocket?

Would appreciate your advice, cheers
Images
  • polre.jpg
  • windowwwwwwwwwwww.jpg
  • windowwwwwwwwwwww 2.jpg
Last edited by JENOVA on Sep 11th, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Dec 16, 2008
968 posts
402 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I am sure your deductible is more than 4s and window repair cost, unless you have 0 deducitble. Your home insurance covers the phone and car insurance,the window. no raise..
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
315 posts
4 upvotes
They said it happened on a church parking lot today somewhere in London. ON
I guess no home ins. would cover that, God where arted thou?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
682 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Home insurance covers items stolen from your car.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
315 posts
4 upvotes
Beachdown wrote: Home insurance covers items stolen from your car.
even though the thieving did not happen at home?
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
315 posts
4 upvotes
JENOVA wrote:
kooroshkabir wrote: Yes
okay!

thanks kooroshkabir & Beachdown
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8316 posts
2891 upvotes
Mississauga
JENOVA wrote:
JENOVA wrote:
okay!

OP don't bother with the iPhone 4S. I've never seen home insurance with $0 deductible. Minimum would have to at least be $300. iPhone 4S definitely isn't worth that much. Furthermore, for property insurance, if you make a claim, you would lose your Claims Free discount (if you currently have one). Fault doesn't really come into play for Property Insurance.

(your relatives; not you...but too lazy to go back and change).
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
315 posts
4 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
JENOVA wrote:
JENOVA wrote:
okay!

OP don't bother with the iPhone 4S. I've never seen home insurance with $0 deductible. Minimum would have to at least be $300. iPhone 4S definitely isn't worth that much. Furthermore, for property insurance, if you make a claim, you would lose your Claims Free discount (if you currently have one). Fault doesn't really come into play for Property Insurance.

I've received some images and added them on the opening post for further advice. For the amount for damages, it shows $3000 in the column, I'm no expert but that's an expensive window!

What steps would you recommend that could bring a positive outcome for this scenario? ( i.e: get auto ins. involved w/o the phone?)

Thanks in advance!
Have a goodnight
Images
  • windowwwwwwwwwwww.jpg
  • windowwwwwwwwwwww 2.jpg
  • polre.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4190 posts
3125 upvotes
Markham
There is no way the side window would cost $3k! Even the windshield done at dealer would be no more than $1300-1400. I'd say that side window is maximum $500-600 using original glass at dealer, even less if done by an indy or glass shop.

Just repair out of pocket not worth a claim. The iPhone 4S is worth maximum $50. If there is activation lock or find my iphone activated you can try tracking it on icloud site and lock it so it can never be activated by anyone else.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
315 posts
4 upvotes
payam1981 wrote: There is no way the side window would cost $3k! Even the windshield done at dealer would be no more than $1300-1400. I'd say that side window is maximum $500-600 using original glass at dealer, even less if done by an indy or glass shop.

Just repair out of pocket not worth a claim. The iPhone 4S is worth maximum $50. If there is activation lock or find my iphone activated you can try tracking it on icloud site and lock it so it can never be activated by anyone else.
I'm assuming that an officer came up with those figures for damages but it might not matter to an ins. adjuster? $3000 does seem a bit high
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
778 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JENOVA wrote:
kenchau wrote:
JENOVA wrote:

okay!

I've received some images and added them on the opening post for further advice. For the amount for damages, it shows $3000 in the column, I'm no expert but that's an expensive window!

What steps would you recommend that could bring a positive outcome for this scenario? ( i.e: get auto ins. involved w/o the phone?)

Thanks in advance!
Have a goodnight
Cheaper to repair out of pocket. You bring the car to a garage and because of "insurance" paying, they'll triple the price. So sad this industry and this is why our insurance is going up up up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7836 posts
1523 upvotes
Just pay out of pocket. I had a front driver window replaced for 250, however mine was a Honda. I'd assume your window should cost no more than $500, Why involve insurance and risk a claims free discount.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)