Shopping Discussion

Instacart X Costco is here in Canada (some cities only)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2020 8:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11850 posts
104549 upvotes
Ontario

Instacart X Costco is here in Canada (some cities only)

We finally have instacart in Canada, however, it only applies to some cities like Toronto.

I checked their prices and they are 25%-30% higher than normal price. No weekly promotion prices.

If you purchased instacart express, this might be a hot deal for you.

Delivery fee= $3.99 and up
Service fee = $2
tip = $X

or

Get instacart express (Unlimited free delivery when you spend $35 or more)
Annual fee = $100
Monthly fee = $10

This is extremely helpful for people like us in Ontario. Our confirmed covid19 cases are still rising but today we only have 76 new cases.
You don't need to line up for 30-40 mins to get a few groceries. Instacart gets instant access so they don't have to line up.

If you used Costco 2-10 groceries delivery,

Costs = $3-$4 extra for most items.
Plus $3 charge if you spend less than $75
Last edited by Thatdealguy on Jul 29th, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
97 replies
Jan 9, 2013
133 posts
25 upvotes
Thornhill
Covid cases are rising in Toronto??
Nov 14, 2015
524 posts
366 upvotes
Unionville, ON
amdy88 wrote: Covid cases are rising in Toronto??
lol yeah we had the lowest number of new cases in 4 months, It's definitely going down
Jun 24, 2019
24 posts
43 upvotes
Nobody really goes to Costco for a few groceries, that would mean 20-30% extra on a few hundred dollars, so total, after tip, you're looking at an extra $80-$100 for your order, for as you said, a half hour of waiting? Seems pretty cold to me, even if you have the yearly subscription.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2078 posts
1763 upvotes
Ironically just had my order delivered today from Costco via Instacart (York Region). It seems to have been available since early this week/last week (I forgot when I first checked).

Prices seem comparable from Costco.ca (was really trying it for the $20 off $80 via my AMEX offers). They have items available that aren't available via costco.ca (e.g. I was able to find Natrel Butter). For those who are new, Costco.ca prices include delivery - so they are almost always a few dollars more than warehouse prices.

Was actually my first Instacart experience overall. At ~$76, service fee (without Express) was ~$3.80 for me + tax on the service fee. Had free delivery.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1338 posts
3563 upvotes
Toronto, ON
With cornershop being a bunch of nobheads and changing the service fee from 10% to 25%, I think I might try instacart out. Thanks OP.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Banned
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
sports1 wrote: Ironically just had my order delivered today from Costco via Instacart (York Region). It seems to have been available since early this week/last week (I forgot when I first checked).

Prices seem comparable from Costco.ca (was really trying it for the $20 off $80 via my AMEX offers). They have items available that aren't available via costco.ca (e.g. I was able to find Natrel Butter). For those who are new, Costco.ca prices include delivery - so they are almost always a few dollars more than warehouse prices.

Was actually my first Instacart experience overall. At ~$76, service fee (without Express) was ~$3.80 for me + tax on the service fee. Had free delivery.
wow that is so cheap!
Five bucks for someone to drive there, line up, shop, float some credit, then drive it to you, all for five measly dollars?
Crazy business model unless I’m missing something.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2002
2026 posts
1081 upvotes
Midland
michelangelo88 wrote: With cornershop being a bunch of nobheads and changing the service fee from 10% to 25%, I think I might try instacart out. Thanks OP.
Did you have a bad experience? Want to share what happened?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
11850 posts
104549 upvotes
Ontario
TomDrake81 wrote: wow that is so cheap!
Five bucks for someone to drive there, line up, shop, float some credit, then drive it to you, all for five measly dollars?
Their model is excellent.

I think they charge the merchant a 10-20% fee
and Charges the consumers a 25-30% fee (by increasing the prices), Service fee, and delivery fee or annual membership fees.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2018
1338 posts
3563 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joe2k1 wrote: Did you have a bad experience? Want to share what happened?
I meant they were nobheads for changing service fee from 10% to 25%.

They have higher prices than in-store, no adjustment for lower store price due to store or Costco-wide promotion. It’s easy to rack up quite a bill with Costco so 25% is a lot. Over that the delivery fee.
We The North!

ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2982 posts
1425 upvotes
Markham
Lol so greedy, no thanks
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
1158 posts
2573 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a comparison of Instacart vs Cornershop vs Costco.ca for the following items:
- Kirkland Signature Mixed Nuts, 1.13 kg
- Kirkland Signature Nut Bars, 24-count
- Master’s Hand Enriched All Purpose Flour, 10 kg
- Kirkland Signature Drawstring Kitchen Bags, 200-count

Instacart:
Subtotal: $79.46
Service fee: $3.97
Tax: $9.65
Delivery Tip (5.0%): $3.97
Total (CAD): $97.05

Cornershop:
Costco: CA$66.26
Cornershop service: CA$16.56
Delivery: CA$6.90
Estimated taxes: CA$8.10
Amount due: CA$97.83

Costco.ca:
Subtotal: $77.96
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Delivery Surcharge: $0.00
HST: $8.84
Total: $86.80

Costco.ca is the cheapest, but also the slowest and without as much selection as the other two options.

Instacart and Cornershop totals are almost the same, with Cornershop being more transparent about the costs.

Buying them yourself in store would cost about $75 including tax.
Last edited by umopapisdnwei on Jul 29th, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i am upside down
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22345 posts
20971 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya ...
Costco joining InstaCart was posted a week ago (July 23rd) by @BobSagget in this thread
grocery-delivery-service-do-you-use-canada-2385267/2/

But it’s good, I suppose to have a dedicated one to hear people’s actual experiences

Seems there are actually a lot of Costco Canada Warehouses included (all ? )
https://www.instacart.ca/grocery-delivery

More than just GTA / TO ... which is nice

Nice to have as you say during these Crazy Covid times

But ... I am not surprised that InstaCarts prices are higher
They always are ... in the long run
And they don’t necessarily do flyer sales
Or give out proper loyalty points etc

Plus you pay InstaCart a Service Fee by the stop ($ x per store)
And an up charge if it’s a busy time
PLUS tip ... supposedly optional (but prob not the best idea to stiff the delivery person

In the end ... IT ALL ADDS UP

Still nice to have another option for Groceries etc
During Covid
March, April & May was pretty limited with mostly PC Express offering the only game in town for most Cdns
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 29th, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
2078 posts
1763 upvotes
TomDrake81 wrote: wow that is so cheap!
I think for new users, delivery is free if you order within the first 12 hours. I used a throwaway email originally to check out the experience, then made an account once I browsed around and got a feel for the pricing.
(Tip: on mobile, it'll force you to use Facebook/Google to sign up. On desktop, you can use an email...)
(Tip 2: you can also enter your Costco membership number. Not entirely sure what it gives you, but I do know Executive members don't get their 2% this way).

Each store has its own pricing policy too. Walmart's prices are "everyday prices" (they claim same as in store, but I did not do any serious comparisons to verify that). T&T, Staples have hire pricing on Instacart than in store. Costco charges (as far as I could tell) similar pricing to Costco.ca ('marked up' to include the delivery charge). It seems like most of their warehouse items (that are not super bulky) are available for purchase on Instacart.

Otherwise, delivery charges vary. T&T charged $3.99, Walmart $3.99, Costco $5.99, etc. - it's up the merchant.

You have the option to tip as well, they claim 100% of tip proceeds go to driver - up to you to believe how true it is (remember the DoorDash fiasco.. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/nyre ... olicy.html)

So for a typical order, you'd have:
- Service fee (can be reduced with Express, but otherwise mandatory - like Uber Eats, etc.)
- Tip (optional)
- Delivery charge (free for first time users I believe)

The experience was okay overall. Instacart kept me up to date via text message (I ordered from Desktop, no app):
- I could choose to update cart before my scheduled delivery time
- Updated when a person selected to purchase & deliver your order
- Updated if a substitution is required (I just texted the # back directly to talk to the person picking up my order) - this varies widely on the person buying your order. For me, the lady ended up finding the product after some searching. Otherwise, you get asked what substitution you prefer, or if none - you get refunded that item.
- Updated with an exact delivery time estimate (windows are typically 1-2 hours to start)
- Updated when order is delivered

Only really 1 hiccup: I was sent MMS (pictures of my substitutions) that I never received. But I suppose that could be due to a number of possible issues.

Oh one last thing... Instacart does the same dynamic pricing BS as Amazon, where prices change by some nominal amount (e.g. $0.10) depending on when you order. After playing around on a throwaway, I went to order "for real" several hours later and noticed the items I wanted had increased by $0.10 - $0.20. This increased my order by ~$1.
Jun 12, 2020
98 posts
136 upvotes
Costco needs a delivery pickup service honestly.

I'd gladly pay a $10 fee to not waste time parking, lining up, and seeing the ridiculous things people return before you exit.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22345 posts
20971 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
umopapisdnwei wrote: Here's a comparison of Instacart vs Cornershop vs Costco.ca for the following items:

Instacart:

Cornershop:

Costco.ca:

Costco.ca is the cheapest, but also the slowest and without as much selection as the other two options.

Instacart and Cornershop totals are almost the same, with Cornershop being more transparent about the costs.

TRUE...

BUT ... the biggest bonus to InstaCart vs Costco.ca is ...
THEY DELIVER ANY GROCERIES YOU CAN BUY AT THE WAREHOUSE

So fresh meats, veggies, dairy, bakery, etc
Whereas Costco.ca only offers NON PERISHABLES

And InstaCart is available in most places (Cities and good sized towns) in Canada

So, InstaCarts agreement with Costco
Means Cdn Shoppers now have more options during Covid type shutdowns, mandatory or optional isolation

That in itself IS A BIG DEAL
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
1158 posts
2573 upvotes
Toronto
umopapisdnwei wrote: Here's a comparison of Instacart vs Cornershop vs Costco.ca for the following items:

Instacart:

Cornershop:

Costco.ca:

Correction / addition to this post...

If you have a Costco membership, you can go to https://sameday.costco.ca/ and get lower Instacart prices.
The Costco Same-day delivery (via Instacart) total for Costco members:
Item Total: $77.66
Tax: $8.93
Delivery Fee: FREE
Tip: $3.88
Total: $90.47

As it says at https://www.costco.ca/CanadaGroceryDeliveryRedirect about Instacart:
"- Only members can shop Costco Same-day delivery
- Non-members can shop directly from Instacart.ca but pay a higher price than members shopping on Costco Same-day delivery"

Also:
"A services and delivery fee applies. Instacart Express members get free delivery."

I'm not sure why there was no Delivery Fee for me at sameday.costco.ca ... Maybe it's a promo right now?
i am upside down
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
21600 posts
33307 upvotes
ONTARIO
It's nice to learn about sameday.costco.ca. Any discount is better than nothing, but really being a member doesn't seem to save you much at all.
I have a cart on instacart I planned to order in a few days and just recreated it on costco's page and the savings was about $3.xx.
Again that's better than nothing, but I kind of hoped that since it's for costco members only, that the savings would be a bit better than that.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12692 posts
7841 upvotes
Markham
BobSagget wrote: It's nice to learn about sameday.costco.ca. Any discount is better than nothing, but really being a member doesn't seem to save you much at all.
I have a cart on instacart I planned to order in a few days and just recreated it on costco's page and the savings was about $3.xx.
Again that's better than nothing, but I kind of hoped that since it's for costco members only, that the savings would be a bit better than that.
Is 3 dollar savings before or after other fees?