Shopping Discussion

Instacart X Costco is here in Canada (some cities only)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2020 8:19 pm
Nov 21, 2016
486 posts
779 upvotes
abbotsford
Thatdealguy wrote: [/b]This is extremely helpful for people like us in Ontario. Our confirmed covid19 cases are still rising but today we only have 76 new cases
I’m so confused, I thought you were in Richmond, BC. Now you say for “us” in Ontario. RFD location shows Ontario. And to top it all off, in another thread the other day you mentioned you saw masks in a Calgary Costco the other day.
Nov 21, 2016
486 posts
779 upvotes
abbotsford
Stroshow wrote: He shares the account with his family across Canada
Not sure if joking or not lol

Because he has a distinct writing style and it’s definitely the same in all these posts
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
smartie wrote: Is 3 dollar savings before or after other fees?
Before.

I was just comparing the base price of items. Everything on Costco's website seems to be around $0.10 to $0.50 cheaper. I would have hoped that for actual Costco members, they could give us a bit better pricing than that considering how much cheaper a lot of the same items are in store (at least $1-$3 per item).

After adding Instacart's "service fee" and making the tip identical, the difference in the end is that Costco ends up being $8.02 cheaper.

Also another feature that seems to be missing from Costco's website (unless I just can't find it?) is the "special request" option. On Instacart you can create a special request for your shopper to find something in store that isn't listed on the website.
Costco's website doesn't seem to have this option anywhere.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
umopapisdnwei wrote:

As it says at https://www.costco.ca/CanadaGroceryDeliveryRedirect about Instacart:
"- Only members can shop Costco Same-day delivery
- Non-members can shop directly from Instacart.ca but pay a higher price than members shopping on Costco Same-day delivery"

Also:
"A services and delivery fee applies. Instacart Express members get free delivery."

I'm not sure why there was no Delivery Fee for me at sameday.costco.ca ... Maybe it's a promo right now?
Interesting, so on that page it also says executive members get their 2% cashback (based on the in-warehouse prices for the items you order though). I guess that's better than nothing at least.

Feb 29, 2020
71 posts
68 upvotes
Sort of an expensive workaround to be able to use Amex at Costco.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
Not really off to a good start with sameday.costco.ca

On Instacart you can go to your order details page and literally track the shopper in real time at the store while they are shopping for you. You can even interact with them in the chat if needed. You know exactly when they are checking out and even when they're on their way to your home.

This doesn't seem to be possible through Costco's site despite it being powered by Instacart.
I made an order today for delivery between 4-6 PM and as of 5:40 PM, I have no idea of the status. There's no option through the website to check it.

Only way to check the status seems to be through the confirmation email you receive after you make the order. The only problem is the link they include to check the order status doesn't even work. It directs you to an order page on instacart.com but it's a broken link that results in an error.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
gyggyg wrote: I’m so confused, I thought you were in Richmond, BC. Now you say for “us” in Ontario. RFD location shows Ontario. And to top it all off, in another thread the other day you mentioned you saw masks in a Calgary Costco the other day.
OP flies to BC every week just to do our Costco thread
#speculation
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: OP flies to BC every week just to do our Costco thread
#speculation
Should I expect both BC and ON Costco thread now?
Jun 12, 2020
98 posts
136 upvotes
Butter Chicken Sauce Index:
  • Costco: $0.923/100ml (KFI)
  • Superstore: $0.981/100ml (KFI)
  • Walmart: $0.75/100ml (Paktak) <-- WINNER
Mar 22, 2007
226 posts
809 upvotes
I just made an sameday order with Costco. The delivery was free and when the order arrived I was charged store prices and not what was posted on the ordering site (woo) so I'm considering this to be a big win.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
441278904 wrote: Butter Chicken Sauce Index:
  • Costco: $0.923/100ml (KFI)
  • Superstore: $0.981/100ml (KFI)
  • Walmart: $0.75/100ml (Paktak) <-- WINNER
Hmmm... don’t know where you are getting your numbers from
But definitely a case of shopping in person is cheaper IF you can do it

As of today, KFI Butter Chicken Sauce is on sale at Costco (thru August 2nd)
2 x 650 ml jars = $ 6.99 in the warehouse
https://www.costco.ca/coupons.html

That’s $ 0.53769 / 100 mls ... or almost HALF PRICE vs anywhere else
That’s a TRUE WINNER ... Olympic medalist kinda winner
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6222 posts
694 upvotes
Quebec
you still have lineups in ontario?
Jun 11, 2003
92 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
Is it just me? I find the markup of 25-30% or more absolutely criminal. I get COVID and convenience.. I think I'd have been able to stomach 10-15% for the convenience, but I checked some of our regular items on the sameday site and things are like 6$ more per item. Eg: the chicken we buy is like 24.99 and on instacart it's 32$. To me reasonable would have been like 27.99 or so.

Just seems like an absolute rip off.
Feb 4, 2011
705 posts
489 upvotes
stokkes wrote: Is it just me? I find the markup of 25-30% or more absolutely criminal. I get COVID and convenience.. I think I'd have been able to stomach 10-15% for the convenience, but I checked some of our regular items on the sameday site and things are like 6$ more per item. Eg: the chicken we buy is like 24.99 and on instacart it's 32$. To me reasonable would have been like 27.99 or so.

Just seems like an absolute rip off.
Then this product is not for you.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5101 posts
718 upvotes
Ancaster
Don't know how I feel about this but Costco just launched grocery delivery via a partnership with Instacart which I don't have experience with.

They are asking for a 5% tip...and I have mixed feelings about this and almost rather they just specify a shipping fee. Thoughts?

Just wanted to see what other people think about it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There’s a whole thread dedicated to Costco’s new agreement with InstaCart
here = costco-instacart-x-costco-here-canada-s ... y-2392946/
Now if you want to talk InstaCart & Tipping in General related to their service ...
(Maybe drop Costco from the title of this thread ... so it doesn’t just get folded into the already existing thread.
And add in InstaCart somewhere in the new title )

Ya I get why there’s a Tip in place
BUT ... I also think it sucks the whole way InstaCart structures their delivery program ... too many fees + extra charges

1- You pay more for many of the products, cuz InstaCart has their own ordering platforms
2- In many cases Sales Flyers & Promos DONT APPLY (flat rate pricing)
3- You cannot for the most part take advantage of Loyalty Programs (like PCO or Costco Executive Membership)
4- There is a per stop / store fee (one store on your InstaCart Order = $ X ... 2 stores = $ Y ... 3 stores = $ Z etc)
5- There can be a delivery charge ... and it can differ by time of day, or day of week
6- Tips ... although they often say optional ... that’s not always so.

Plus I believe I read somewhere on RFD that many of these Grocery Delivery Services want the Customer to commit to the tip amount upfront.
Something about the best tipped jobs get quickest response from Pickers / Drivers.
(Article said something about Drivers being ticked cuz then after the fact the Customers went on to adjust tips Downwards later on ... a sort of bait & switch ... just to get Drivers to respond quicker, and perhaps take better care when picking & delivering an order)

All in ... 1 to 6 and costs can really really add up for the convenience
Have been reports of crazy amounts waaay higher than Instore pricing
(In that regard, can be much like Skip The Dishes do big mark ups for their services / convenience )

EDIT / ADD - Some RFDers are also reporting a 7th POINT UPCHARGE
This is where InstaCart makes the CC HOLD be larger than the actual order placed
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 2nd, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 8, 2017
87 posts
36 upvotes
Is there a difference in prices if you order same day delivery from the Costco website as a member or on the Instacart app as a non-member?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7088 upvotes
Mississauga
dealz4all wrote: Then this product is not for you.
I get it that convenience costs money but these markups seem a little egregious.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)