• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 11:12 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1490 posts
321 upvotes

Install Contemporary Fireplace with Porcelain

Looking to replace my fireplace completely to something more contemporary. We have in mind a single sheet of porcelain (Calcutta or something similar) tile, with cut out for TV and Fireplace.

I’ve made some calls to fabricators who will deal with the thin porcelain tiles, and help install but most of the guys I’m speaking with won’t remove the existing fireplace, install a 2x4 or cement board, or moving around the fireplace itself. I’ve been asked to source my own contractors for this.

Anyone have any suggestion for a complete end-to-end installer, who will do all of the above?

Also, Typically, what is the cost to have this installed using a large sheet of porcelain?

thanks

5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6803 posts
2352 upvotes
GTA
No idea on cost but I saw a similar install that was done with a Corian type material....imagine that is much cheaper as woodworking tools can be used on solid surface sheet goods
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3794 posts
2785 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
It would help when you ask something like this if post your location. It's a big country.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10384 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: No idea on cost but I saw a similar install that was done with a Corian type material....imagine that is much cheaper as woodworking tools can be used on solid surface sheet goods
Corian is very very pricey though
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6803 posts
2352 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Corian is very very pricey though
Yep, and Corian brand is only sold to licensed installers. I included the brand name so OP would understand material type, there are competitors more reasonably priced. Using a solid surface material like Wilsonart or a nice cheaper version would probably be half price of a stone sheet in the end (all in) and 1 installer could do whole job. OP is having trouble finding 1 contractor to do a complete install.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10384 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: Yep, and Corian brand is only sold to licensed installers. I included the brand name so OP would understand material type, there are competitors more reasonably priced. Using a solid surface material like Wilsonart or a nice cheaper version would probably be half price of a stone sheet in the end (all in) and 1 installer could do whole job. OP is having trouble finding 1 contractor to do a complete install.
My brother in law worked for a Corian guy and he said it was more than granite for countertops. I don’t even know how you would lift and install a solid sheet of Stone this size.