• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 8:04 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2020
74 posts
84 upvotes

Install Glass Shower door

Hello fellow Members,

I am planning to install a frameless shower door in my bath. I asked a few people for quotes and everyone is asking for 400-500 bucks which I feel is a lot of money, just to drill 8 holes and put screws in. So I thought I will try to install on my own.

Shower opening is lined with marble and I don’t know if the back of the marble (inside the wall) is supported with wooden stud. Basically I want to drill a hole through marble and then hang the glass door by putting 3” screws hoping there is a wooden stud behind the marble. I tried to locate the studs using stud finder but I couldn’t locate the stud properly so there may not be a stud in the inside edge. My question is, can there be a shower enclosure without wooden frame around it?
I am afraid to drill a hole in marble and later find there is no stud behind it.
Anyone has experience with installing free standing glass shower doors?

Thank you!
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
35 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
There for sure is a wood frame behind the stone and drywall. That's how you make a door like that.
If you want peace of mind, drill a small hole from the side.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2021 posts
343 upvotes
East York, ON
IMHO It is not simple to add a shower door or glass panel to an existing bath/shower if it was not built to support that
In my case I am doing it for a shower and I have a like 2" strip along the edge of the shower where the glass panel can sit
I must have support behind the wall exactly on that vertical otherwise it won't be possible to just drill the tiles and screw the clips that hold glass panel

In your case you seem to have framing on both sides of the opening and most probably you will have to install that door off center.
You could probably open the wall from the side and add support where needed
Lots of crazy 💡
Dec 21, 2020
111 posts
73 upvotes
You for sure have studs behind the marble. One major tip for you. Drill the holes in the marble ONLY. As soon as you feel the drill pop through it STOP. Do not drill into the wood or you will have a weak hold for the screw.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2445 upvotes
GTA
CuriousC wrote: In your case you seem to have framing on both sides of the opening and most probably you will have to install that door off center.
You could probably open the wall from the side and add support where needed
I must be missing something-what makes you think there isn't 2x4's behind the jambs? Normally that opening is framed out with 2x4's like any other wall.

OP, measure the opening at top of door height and bottom, put a level on both walls etc-see if square.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2021 posts
343 upvotes
East York, ON
Zamboni wrote: I must be missing something-what makes you think there isn't 2x4's behind the jambs? Normally that opening is framed out with 2x4's like any other wall.

OP, measure the opening at top of door height and bottom, put a level on both walls etc-see if square.
the 2x4s could be as in the left or the right side examples below
if he wants to drill in the middle he cant, that is why I am saying off center

Last edited by CuriousC on Sep 14th, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2021 posts
343 upvotes
East York, ON
RCLapCar wrote: You for sure have studs behind the marble. One major tip for you. Drill the holes in the marble ONLY. As soon as you feel the drill pop through it STOP. Do not drill into the wood or you will have a weak hold for the screw.
TY! Need to keep that in mind when I install my pannels
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
CuriousC wrote: the 2x4s could be as in the left or the right side examples below

Yea, a pilot hole from the side or just opening the drywall will tell him exactly what's going on.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
RFDunknown wrote: Anyone has experience with installing free standing glass shower doors?
The guys that are charging $400-500 to install them.

Honestly, there has to be something solid behind that area to fasten into.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5571 posts
1770 upvotes
Add in how much time and money it'll cost if you crack the marble or don't install properly.

Frankly nowadays, $4-500 for anyone to come to your house is a bargain.

Just my 2c.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17796 posts
15248 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Toukolou wrote: Add in how much time and money it'll cost if you crack the marble or don't install properly.

Frankly nowadays, $4-500 for anyone to come to your house is a bargain.

Just my 2c.
This

Folks don’t understand / appreciate what goes into being a tradesperson !

Yet they Cannot do it themselves at all … or well

But complain when a pro comes out and does it right the first time … no fuss no muss … in record time vs DIY

First thing homeowners need to learn / accept … is when you are outside of your capabilities / expertise

Not every person is good at everything … I am willing to admit my limitations … I don’t do electrical, and my electrician admits he couldn’t do / want to do my job either.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8428 posts
3007 upvotes
Maple
PointsHubby wrote: This

Folks don’t understand / appreciate what goes into being a tradesperson !

Yet they Cannot do it themselves at all … or well

But complain when a pro comes out and does it right the first time … no fuss no muss … in record time vs DIY

First thing homeowners need to learn / accept … is when you are outside of your capabilities / expertise

Not every person is good at everything … I am willing to admit my limitations … I don’t do electrical, and my electrician admits he couldn’t do / want to do my job either.
Agree! I don’t know how others feel, I rather hire pro to do jobs. I could DIY but it would take forever to start then finish, it may look like an A??, I may get injured. Pay pro and stay alive. It may cost you $$$ but it’s fair.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2021 posts
343 upvotes
East York, ON
Well let's not get ahead of ourselves here
We just had an example around here with a guy who paid a contractor 'to come to his house' and do the tiles
I guess he must have paid for the 'come to my house' part only as the tile job was a disaster

Yeah the fear mongering is one of their arguments: pay us an arm and a leg so you don't lose one.
I say F... that ! Sorry but if I have to take a mortgage to renovate a bathroom just because the contractor costs double or triples the total cost then I am in the wrong business as I am not making that kinde of money

I do see many of these pros going to Uni to be good at what they are doing ... come on ..you have one small job you do not have to be doctor in installing tiles or in installing glass doors because you are going to install ONE , YOURS.
Do your homework don't be lazy ...if you make more than what you pay the contractor then sure pay him and make more money doing your job.
But if you get 50K per year gross salary and you want to hire a contractor that makes 100K per year, for a relatively plain job then you have to reconsider

I get it -roof, basement underpinning, wall removals, major structural modifications, yes hire them but most probably to install a door, to change a faucet or similar things you will most probably overpay and with this inflation and COVID stimulus in place they might not even come to your house

And yes it is going to take time; unless you are under pressure ..take your time and do it. At least the time you wound need to make the net amount you would otherwise have to pay to the contractor.
Last edited by CuriousC on Sep 15th, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of crazy 💡
Nov 13, 2016
660 posts
347 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: the 2x4s could be as in the left or the right side examples below

The drawing on the right must have a wall at least 10 inch thick. Even the one on the right ought to be at least 7-8" thick. I highly doubt any reasonable carpenter would build a door way like that. It's okay for the sake of illustration or argument.

CD
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Just make sure you get the biggest stainless screws you can fit nicely in your hardware, probably #10’s.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2020
74 posts
84 upvotes
engineered wrote: There for sure is a wood frame behind the stone and drywall. That's how you make a door like that.
If you want peace of mind, drill a small hole from the side.
Already tried to drill a small hole but couldn’t tell if there was a stud. I felt like the drill is just going through the wall and there was no resistance. But thanks for the suggestion I will try again in a different location.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
RFDunknown wrote: Already tried to drill a small hole but couldn’t tell if there was a stud. I felt like the drill is just going through the wall and there was no resistance. But thanks for the suggestion I will try again in a different location.
Just poke the drywall with a stiff wire, like a coat hanger, or small screwdriver. It will easily go through the drywall, not the stud.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2020
74 posts
84 upvotes
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I tried to drill a hole along the side of the drywall but didn’t feel I hit a stud. I will try another location. I used the stud finder just above the entrance to the right and I was able to find something but again if drill there I wasn’t able to find anything.

Hiring a pro who can do the job is for somehow who makes a lot of money. They are asking 20x times what I make per hour and there is no guarantee they will do it right either. I can live with out the door by just having a curtain and that’s the reason I want to try it myself. It’s just like any other thing, I am new to it until I do it the first time. Building a deck, changing faucet, lawn mowing, snow shovelling all can be done by pros but it doesn’t mean an average joe can do a decent job. I know if I mess it up I might pay more money but that’s the risk I will accept
[OP]
Apr 10, 2020
74 posts
84 upvotes
lamin wrote: Just make sure you get the biggest stainless screws you can fit nicely in your hardware, probably #10’s.
Got #8-12 size rated to hold 45lbs. They are the largest I could find that fits the door mounting holes.
Images
  • image.jpg
[OP]
Apr 10, 2020
74 posts
84 upvotes
engineered wrote: Just poke the drywall with a stiff wire, like a coat hanger, or small screwdriver. It will easily go through the drywall, not the stud.
Great. Will definitely do this. Smiling Face With Open Mouth