• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 11:57 am
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

install new set of washer and dryer on main floor

we are thinking of rent out our basement for one of our relative. However, the washer/dryer are in the basement, and we do not want to share.

Install another set in the main floor with be problematic ? any recommend contractor for this job ? I think we need to have the 240V line for dryer
22 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
dongta wrote: we are thinking of rent out our basement for one of our relative. However, the washer/dryer are in the basement, and we do not want to share.

Install another set in the main floor with be problematic ? any recommend contractor for this job ? I think we need to have the 240V line for dryer
We can't see your house. It could be simple, it could be complex. The washer will require both supply and drain for water. The dryer will also require venting on top of the 240V. You could see issues with an insufficient electrical service when loads are calculated.

As for recommending a contractor.... You could be anywhere between Victoria, British Columbia and St. John's Newfoundland. Narrowing the scope of your location may aid others in providing a suggestion.
Mar 20, 2017
508 posts
1300 upvotes
For sure you won’t pass code/inspection to have two washer/dryer suites running off a single 100 amp panel. So you’ll need a 200A if you don’t have one already.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
thanks... We are in Vaughan, Ont

our panels is 100 amp and running out of room for new breaker.... I guess we need to upgrade to 200amp ... that's going to be crazy expensive ... may need to find something better for more privacy
Sep 7, 2015
85 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I converted a second floor bedroom closet to house a regular size front load washer/dryer. Wasn't easy. I had to route supply, drain and 240V and made a hole through the side wall for venting. Made my wife happy and worked great for a while but the weight and vibration from the washer (VERY heavy) made my kitchen ceiling crack. So back in the basement they went. Also, make sure you use some kind of tray that drains into the pipes in case of a leak from the washer. That's disaster waiting to happen if you don't.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
dongta wrote: thanks... We are in Vaughan, Ont

our panels is 100 amp and running out of room for new breaker.... I guess we need to upgrade to 200amp ... that's going to be crazy expensive ... may need to find something better for more privacy
Its being done in my house literally right now. $2400 for the panel swap. Permitted, etc. Was easier in my buddies house and done for $1700.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
db9514022 wrote: I converted a second floor bedroom closet to house a regular size front load washer/dryer. Wasn't easy. I had to route supply, drain and 240V and made a hole through the side wall for venting. Made my wife happy and worked great for a while but the weight and vibration from the washer (VERY heavy) made my kitchen ceiling crack. So back in the basement they went. Also, make sure you use some kind of tray that drains into the pipes in case of a leak from the washer. That's disaster waiting to happen if you don't.

thanks @db9514022 .. did some research .. I think we will go with all in one washer and dryer .. which dopes not required 240V and vent out... the con is it takes time to do both..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
If venting is a problem, you could go with a non-venting (condensing) dryer - however my experience with those is they are not as good (take longer to dry, often don't dry 100% fully). It's an option though.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Its being done in my house literally right now. $2400 for the panel swap. Permitted, etc. Was easier in my buddies house and done for $1700.
oh... did they replace the old one or put another panels some where ? can you PM me the contact ? thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
dongta wrote: oh... did they replace the old one or put another panels some where ? can you PM me the contact ? thanks
The whole job is more than what I detailed. We have a 200 amp meter and 200 amp service from the road, so they are removing the old panel, installing a new panel with all new breakers, and running 200 amp service from the meter to the new panel which is roughly 6 feet (from meter at eye level outside to eye level in basement).

Then they are running 100 amp service from the newly upgrade 200 amp panel to the garage for a “pony” panel, roughly 40 feet at an additional cost of $1000. The old house panel will be in the garage. The next step is running 60 amps from the panel in the garage for a car, which is not part of what is being done today.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: The whole job is more than what I detailed. We have a 200 amp meter and 200 amp service from the road, so they are removing the old panel, installing a new panel with all new breakers, and running 200 amp service from the meter to the new panel which is roughly 6 feet (from meter at eye level outside to eye level in basement).

Then they are running 100 amp service from the newly upgrade 200 amp panel to the garage for a “pony” panel, roughly 40 feet at an additional cost of $1000. The old house panel will be in the garage. The next step is running 60 amps from the panel in the garage for a car, which is not part of what is being done today.
All of that for $2400 (+$1000) ?? please tell me not so long ago... we may have to do similar since there are no place for new panels...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11965 posts
7129 upvotes
Paris
dongta wrote: All of that for $2400 (+$1000) ?? please tell me not so long ago... we may have to do similar since there are no place for new panels...
It literally was happening when I posted. They were here all day. I figured a half day for that kind of money.

Old panel remounted in garage. New panel are the pics
Images
  • 0DD56752-E39A-46C7-818D-EF6806AF7077.jpeg
  • D7029A6D-F4A3-40BE-B14C-212A64CAF37D.jpeg
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
nice ... @Jerico can you PM me their contact... look like did a clean job
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1123 posts
216 upvotes
dongta wrote: nice ... @Jerico can you PM me their contact... look like did a clean job
Check if running gas line is an option to new dryer area and then go with gas dryer.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
correct men if I am wrong, isn't that running gas line is more expensive than running electric line ? (exclude the 200amp panel, I need to do this anyway )
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2009
1123 posts
216 upvotes
dongta wrote: correct men if I am wrong, isn't that running gas line is more expensive than running electric line ? (exclude the 200amp panel, I need to do this anyway )
In my understanding you don’t need new panel just for gas dryer.
Depends on your basement ceiling and dryer location (if it’s on same side of house as your gas meter, it’s a short run), it shouldn’t be that much more vs. dryer cable (depending cable length, as i believe the cable cost is quite a bit these days)
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16938 posts
14525 upvotes
GTA, ON
Manatus wrote: If venting is a problem, you could go with a non-venting (condensing) dryer - however my experience with those is they are not as good (take longer to dry, often don't dry 100% fully). It's an option though.
Non-Vented is garbage. I mean, it works, but it's definitely not efficient. I agree, takes twice as long as a conventional vented dryer, and to be honest, it doesn't get as hot (or dry the clothes) sufficiently.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7253 posts
2836 upvotes
GTA
dongta wrote: thanks @db9514022 .. did some research .. I think we will go with all in one washer and dryer .. which dopes not required 240V and vent out... the con is it takes time to do both..
A client looked at combo washer/dryer 110v.....reviews on manufacturer web site had people complaining of 8 and 9 hours to do 1 load.

Its not ideal but cheapest setup is to have a shared laundry, locate it at bottom of stairs in basement (not in basement suite) Tell the tenant they are allowed to use the laundry Wed & Saturday, put that in the lease. If shared laundry avoids a panel upgrade its something to consider. Saves panel upgrade cost and laundry upstairs cost/space.

A panel can be "over subscribed"....the breakers are allowed to add up to more than 100 amps on a 100 amp panel
[OP]
Feb 24, 2018
186 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Zamboni wrote: A client looked at combo washer/dryer 110v.....reviews on manufacturer web site had people complaining of 8 and 9 hours to do 1 load.

Its not ideal but cheapest setup is to have a shared laundry, locate it at bottom of stairs in basement (not in basement suite) Tell the tenant they are allowed to use the laundry Wed & Saturday, put that in the lease. If shared laundry avoids a panel upgrade its something to consider. Saves panel upgrade cost and laundry upstairs cost/space.

A panel can be "over subscribed"....the breakers are allowed to add up to more than 100 amps on a 100 amp panel
yeah we are planning to put it at the bottom of stairs this location can be vent (just another hole on the side wall ). However, our panels is full . I don't think we can add anymore breaker into it. We can either has a sub panels or up to 200amp at the same time (cost more but better for long term)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7253 posts
2836 upvotes
GTA
dongta wrote: yeah we are planning to put it at the bottom of stairs this location can be vent (just another hole on the side wall ). However, our panels is full . I don't think we can add anymore breaker into it. We can either has a sub panels or up to 200amp at the same time (cost more but better for long term)
A 200 amp panel would be best.
If you are relocating the dryer the existing breaker will be used. Have an electrician in, see if a few circuits can be put on tandem breakers, that is 2 breakers taking up one spot. You can free up a few breaker spots using tandem breakers instead of installing a sub panel. The Sparky will need to do a load calc to see if a 40amp breaker for a stove can be added, unless plan is to install a gas stove upstairs or down.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)