• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2021 11:50 am
[OP]
Dec 10, 2012
541 posts
236 upvotes
GTA

Installation of Range Hood with External Blower

Hi there, been trying to get someone to help install my range hood setup, which has an external blower to be mounted outside, none of the contractors I found so far has any experience with external blower. Hoping my luck might be a bit better here, or at least if someone have done it here, any tips as to what to look out for?

Also I tried looking for 10 inch round duct myself and I don't see them anywhere in big box hardware store, not much popping up from google either, especially if I want it from a canadian site. Where would I be able to order something like that.

Thanks.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7253 posts
2836 upvotes
GTA
Go to a dedicated HVAC shop, in Oshawa Southern Supply carries 10" duct and also fabricates custom pieces. 10" duct is not easy to install-should have gone in when the house was being built.
Dec 1, 2018
144 posts
225 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Go to a dedicated HVAC shop, in Oshawa Southern Supply carries 10" duct and also fabricates custom pieces. 10" duct is not easy to install-should have gone in when the house was being built.
+1

Check with the installer if you could even fit a 10 inch duct. Very likely there be a stud or joist in the way. The structure mod will be more expansive than the blower.
Feb 11, 2009
385 posts
130 upvotes
i would also love to have an external blower. Could you let me know what brand did you get @hkhorace ? Thanks
[OP]
Dec 10, 2012
541 posts
236 upvotes
GTA
Bought broan/best, but i am having trouble finding an experience contractor to put this in, seems like these units are not very popular
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4268 posts
3408 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
You will probably have better luck finding an installer who does commercial work. The downside is, commercial HVAC installers are more likely to be less familiar with residential installations which can lead to problems.
If you are in a single family home, you will need to ensure that there is sufficient make up air coming into your home. If you have a heat recovery ventilator you will definitely mess with airflow when operating a hood of that capacity.

I have no idea what the CFM of a unit that requires 10" ducting, but I'm guessing that it is some insane number. Creating a negative pressure in your home can cause lots of problems. It can pull radon into your home, for example.
Apr 19, 2018
353 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
hkhorace wrote: Hi there, been trying to get someone to help install my range hood setup, which has an external blower to be mounted outside, none of the contractors I found so far has any experience with external blower. Hoping my luck might be a bit better here, or at least if someone have done it here, any tips as to what to look out for?

Also I tried looking for 10 inch round duct myself and I don't see them anywhere in big box hardware store, not much popping up from google either, especially if I want it from a canadian site. Where would I be able to order something like that.

Thanks.
10" round duct you can get from reversomatic in vaughan!
Don't worry be happy - Bob
Apr 19, 2018
353 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
MrFrugal1 wrote: You will probably have better luck finding an installer who does commercial work. The downside is, commercial HVAC installers are more likely to be less familiar with residential installations which can lead to problems.
If you are in a single family home, you will need to ensure that there is sufficient make up air coming into your home. If you have a heat recovery ventilator you will definitely mess with airflow when operating a hood of that capacity.

I have no idea what the CFM of a unit that requires 10" ducting, but I'm guessing that it is some insane number. Creating a negative pressure in your home can cause lots of problems. It can pull radon into your home, for example.
I have a ventahood with 900 cfm. No issues with makeup air. You have issues with makeup air if you are running it for hours on end and at insane cfm like 1500
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4268 posts
3408 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Prestonxavier wrote: I have a ventahood with 900 cfm. No issues with makeup air. You have issues with makeup air if you are running it for hours on end and at insane cfm like 1500
At least none that you are aware of. Older homes are rather leaky, and a 900 CFM fan is not an issue (other than pulling out conditioned air at a higher rate than it would normally leak). Anything built in the last 30 years can be problematic.
Have you done a radon test?
Apr 19, 2018
353 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
MrFrugal1 wrote: At least none that you are aware of. Older homes are rather leaky, and a 900 CFM fan is not an issue (other than pulling out conditioned air at a higher rate than it would normally leak). Anything built in the last 30 years can be problematic.
Have you done a radon test?
all my homes in the last 5 years have been under 5 years old or brand new. With asian cooking, especially with a wok you need higher cfm rangehoods. I have not done a radon test, but i'm also not running the rangehood for hours on end.
[OP]
Dec 10, 2012
541 posts
236 upvotes
GTA
What is a reasonable cost to enlarge that hole. I have gotten quote all over the place