• Oct 16th, 2021 1:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS

Installed bathroom sink drain but leaking at nut

So I got a new bathroom faucet. But it’s leaking very little at the nut. Where the rubber gasket meets the sink hole. I followed the instructions but it’s leaking for some reason. Maybe the threads are 2 big? I tightened the nut so tight it’s hard to tighten even more. It’s just a couple drips of water. It’s sink hole/plumbers putty/rubber gasket/cardboard/nut and then the drain to pipes. It’s leaking from this area in red. The instructions didn’t tell me to use plumbers tape to thread it. Could that be the reason?

Edit: applied plumbers putty between sink and gasket. But it is still leaking. Should I give it time to dry? I ran the faucet right away after installing if that does anything. The nut you can see a drip of water starting from there

Edit2: so I had 2 Hansgrohe faucets and drains installed purchased from Costco for $100 each. The faucets are good. No problems. But it leaked. Today 12 hours later after install, no more leak. But the stopper doesn’t work. When I try to fill sink with water, it leaks out of sink to drain. So I bought a new moen push button drain….. instructions said to apply silicone which I did. Now need to wait 24 hours before testing. Tightened everything up. Just waiting for silicone to cure. Here is the 3 pics of moen drain.
Images
  • D3109D8C-3FD7-4D81-AC10-3871C66146EA.jpeg
  • E9115146-EDE8-4D7B-BF5E-4E91DFC267B2.jpeg
  • CBE23624-A451-4E87-95F6-D14EA0CA6BDA.jpeg
  • 388708D1-83EC-4785-BF47-21CB5FA39B03.jpeg
  • 369EC262-13C5-487D-8BED-7F44216A75ED.jpeg
  • BE315924-A30A-4C83-9FD3-B119E128CF0D.jpeg
Last edited by Palidino on Oct 16th, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
21 replies
Sep 25, 2007
168 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
Are you sure it's leaking from the nut? My experience has been that it's often the rubber gasket above that leaks, due to minor imperfections in the sink surface. Mine was too rough/uneven for the rubber gasket to seal, regardless of how I tightened it. This made it seem like the water was leaking from elsewhere, due to how little was seeping through. I resolved this by using silicone around the gasket prior to tightening with the nut. Haven't had issues since.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6387 posts
2009 upvotes
0 downvotes
how much plumbers putty did u put on the side that goes into the sink drain hole?
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1133 posts
1982 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Did you apply plumbers putty under the lip of the drain tube between the tube and the sink? That nut don't look tight as the gasket doesn't look compressed. Is it finger tightened or done with a wrench?
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
I had this same issue. Replaced 3 faucets and drains, all the same brand. 3rd one leaked due to an imperfection/ small piece missing from the sink.

I had to use plumbers putty on mine and let it sit overnight so it dried. After that, no more leaks.

The other two I didnt have to use a thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
GoodFellaz wrote: how much plumbers putty did u put on the side that goes into the sink drain hole?
I put a decent amount, when I screwed the nut, some plumbers putty oozed out. So I assume it’s enough I think.
fordmaple wrote: Did you apply plumbers putty under the lip of the drain tube between the tube and the sink? That nut don't look tight as the gasket doesn't look compressed. Is it finger tightened or done with a wrench?
Done with a wrench, I can’t tighten it anymore without a lot of pressure. Maybe like the other poster mentioned, the sink is uneven. So rubber gasket isn’t sitting flush?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
Elendil wrote: Are you sure it's leaking from the nut? My experience has been that it's often the rubber gasket above that leaks, due to minor imperfections in the sink surface. Mine was too rough/uneven for the rubber gasket to seal, regardless of how I tightened it. This made it seem like the water was leaking from elsewhere, due to how little was seeping through. I resolved this by using silicone around the gasket prior to tightening with the nut. Haven't had issues since.
im just guessing, it’s not leaking from the sides of the gasket though
Sep 25, 2007
168 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
Palidino wrote: im just guessing, it’s not leaking from the sides of the gasket though
My point was that my leak also looked like it was from the threads, but turned out to be a very tiny leak from the gasket, which was solved as described.

Just something to try, if nothing else prevails. Almost returned my faucet because of it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
Elendil wrote: My point was that my leak also looked like it was from the threads, but turned out to be a very tiny leak from the gasket, which was solved as described.

Just something to try, if nothing else prevails. Almost returned my faucet because of it.
I will try the silicone method when I get home. But let’s say if I want change the drain, wouldn’t the gasket be stuck/glued to the sink?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5056 posts
1437 upvotes
Kitchener
Silicone caulking on the threads where the rubber gasket is will work
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
So I found a guy on YouTube with the same problem. He puts plumbers putty in between the sink and rubber gasket. So when it tightens, the plumbers putty fills the voids. But he said plumbers putty will crack and mold over time. Should I go this route too? Silicone is more or less troublesome when I need to change the drain.
Images
  • 7C41A475-C6F5-4DD5-A120-F9E78AB3F5C1.jpeg
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Palidino wrote: So I found a guy on YouTube with the same problem. He puts plumbers putty in between the sink and rubber gasket. So when it tightens, the plumbers putty fills the voids. But he said plumbers putty will crack and mold over time. Should I go this route too? Silicone is more or less troublesome when I need to change the drain.
Thats what I did, my minor drip went away after I let it set over night. It basically filled any inperfections. I didnt use a lot.

Whats over time, a decade?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
WikkiWikki wrote: Thats what I did, my minor drip went away after I let it set over night. It basically filled any inperfections. I didnt use a lot.

Whats over time, a decade?
Yea plumbers putty starts drying out after 10 years lol. But by that time I probably sold this house or just put new putty. Does putty need time to set? I ran the faucet right away after installing the drain lol
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Palidino wrote: Yea plumbers putty starts drying out after 10 years lol. But by that time I probably sold this house or just put new putty. Does putty need time to set? I ran the faucet right away after installing the drain lol
It does, at least it did for me. As I did it, tested it and it still dripped. I was pretty mad since it was giving me grief, so I left it for awhile to get back to it, with a pail under neath to catch the drips.

When I eventually went to fix it again I tested it, and the drip was gone. So I assume it was because it didnt set earlier.

if person does have to reapply years later, its not that big a job.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
WikkiWikki wrote: It does, at least it did for me. As I did it, tested it and it still dripped. I was pretty mad since it was giving me grief, so I left it for awhile to get back to it, with a pail under neath to catch the drips.

When I eventually went to fix it again I tested it, and the drip was gone. So I assume it was because it didnt set earlier.

if person does have to reapply years later, its not that big a job.
Wtf, it’s still leaking?????
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4954 posts
4524 upvotes
GTA
That putty from your last photo supposed to go on the other side of the sink, on this side it's useless. Does nothing. Nice thick bead between metal flange and ceramic. It will squeeze out when you tighten the bottom nut. Step 2 in your instructions. You put the putty on the flange, press it in the sink and avoid rotating it while doing the bottom nut. Just put needle nose pliers in to keep it from spining.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
Tommy74 wrote: That putty from your last photo supposed to go on the other side of the sink, on this side it's useless. Does nothing. Nice thick bead between metal flange and ceramic. It will squeeze out when you tighten the bottom nut. Step 2 in your instructions. You put the putty on the flange, press it in the sink and avoid rotating it while doing the bottom nut. Just put needle nose pliers in to keep it from spining.
The last photo does have plumber putty on the rubber gasket, it just oozed out when I tightened the nut. I also have plumber putty on the flange in step 2.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1851 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
Tommy74 wrote: That putty from your last photo supposed to go on the other side of the sink, on this side it's useless. Does nothing. Nice thick bead between metal flange and ceramic. It will squeeze out when you tighten the bottom nut. Step 2 in your instructions. You put the putty on the flange, press it in the sink and avoid rotating it while doing the bottom nut. Just put needle nose pliers in to keep it from spining.
This!
Sep 25, 2007
168 posts
116 upvotes
GTA
Palidino wrote: I will try the silicone method when I get home. But let’s say if I want change the drain, wouldn’t the gasket be stuck/glued to the sink?
Provided it's just normal bathroom use silicone, it will be pretty easy to remove - it's not an intense glue.

Good luck. Always annoying how these small tasks seem to turn into hours-long endeavors.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1793 posts
524 upvotes
ORLEANS
Elendil wrote: Provided it's just normal bathroom use silicone, it will be pretty easy to remove - it's not an intense glue.

Good luck. Always annoying how these small tasks seem to turn into hours-long endeavors.
Yup, updated the main post with edit2 and 3 new photos lol. I used this silicone

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mono-1 ... 1001001931