Home & Garden

Installing Air Conditioning (Toronto) - Permits?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 3:16 pm
[OP]
Oct 20, 2019
52 posts
35 upvotes
GTA

Installing Air Conditioning (Toronto) - Permits?

Hi RFD, I'm looking at a home that has an existing HVAC system that has heating / forced air / fan cooling. There is a desire to have an AC unit installed, connecting to the existing HVAC system and interior duct work of the house. Not 100% clear on the Toronto site whether this type of job would require a permit.

Per the website - the job seems to fall under #7 (not needing a permit) since it involves cooling, rather than heating.

Permit required
13. Install or modify heating and or plumbing systems

Permit not required
7. The installation of additional cooling systems, gas fireplaces, air cleaners, in-line humidifiers, or hot water tanks in a house;

Will speak to a professional and call the city during normal hours, but it's 10 PM ET and hoping to hear some opinions this evening from anyone who's been in this situation. If you have any advice or tips, or thoughts, would be happy to hear them. TIA!

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... ng-permit/
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3019 posts
1362 upvotes
Woodbridge
I have never heard that AC installation requires any kind of permit in homes. In the case of condos, all you need is consent from the board.
creuset wrote: Hi RFD, I'm looking at a home that has an existing HVAC system that has heating / forced air / fan cooling. There is a desire to have an AC unit installed, connecting to the existing HVAC system and interior duct work of the house. Not 100% clear on the Toronto site whether this type of job would require a permit.

Per the website - the job seems to fall under #7 (not needing a permit) since it involves cooling, rather than heating.

Permit required

Permit not required
7. The installation of additional cooling systems, gas fireplaces, air cleaners, in-line humidifiers, or hot water tanks in a house;

Will speak to a professional and call the city during normal hours, but it's 10 PM ET and hoping to hear some opinions this evening from anyone who's been in this situation. If you have any advice or tips, or thoughts, would be happy to hear them. TIA!

HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11815 posts
3472 upvotes
Ontario
No permit to install an AC system in a home. Any good quality HVAC company will be able to do it properly. If you need a quote then reach out to @newlyborn who posted above. Hes one of the highly recommended HVAC companies on RFD & has done many installs for RFD users & at least you know it will be done correctly the first time.
creuset wrote: Hi RFD, I'm looking at a home that has an existing HVAC system that has heating / forced air / fan cooling. There is a desire to have an AC unit installed, connecting to the existing HVAC system and interior duct work of the house. Not 100% clear on the Toronto site whether this type of job would require a permit.

Permit required

Permit not required

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6816 posts
3801 upvotes
Mississauga
Seems odd to me that a home with forced-air heating doesn't have an existing central a/c system.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11815 posts
3472 upvotes
Ontario
I believe with newer homes the builder will give the option to the buyer if they want a new AC for a certain price. However the issue is you have little no no choices on what you get & I think they tend to be overpriced a little. So some people will decide Not to buy from the builder & get a separate company to install a brand/model they prefer. Also installation is Most important regardless of brand and usually the companies that the builder will use will rush the install and cut corners which is what you do not want.
mrweather wrote: Seems odd to me that a home with forced-air heating doesn't have an existing central a/c system.