Home & Garden

Installing patio stones - how to compensate for slope?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2007 2:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 6, 2006
252 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton

Installing patio stones - how to compensate for slope?

OK, so we've decided to undertake this project (wish me luck, please!!).

Our backyard slopes towards the west side of the fence. the drop/slope that we're facing is probably 6-8". I'm hoping that's not too much, but what I'd like to hear are people's ideas as to how to restrain the west side of the patio stones as that side will have to be higher then the east side to make it level.

I've seen a picture where someone with a significant slope used 4 layers of pavers to bring up the side of the patio to make it level (with the lower one dug into the ground and the rest glued with adhesive). Would this be the best recommended advice to the edge restraint on the lower side of the patio?
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm not sure I'd layer the patio stones on top of one another. :confused: Generally speaking, you should be building up the grade with stone or fill of some kind and using something like a landscape block to retain the area. Our whole yard is sloped one way or another. When we built our patio area we backfilled with stone and set landscaping block to retain the stone. We then set patio stone on top of the stone.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2006
252 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
CSK'sMom wrote: I'm not sure I'd layer the patio stones on top of one another. :confused: Generally speaking, you should be building up the grade with stone or fill of some kind and using something like a landscape block to retain the area. Our whole yard is sloped one way or another. When we built our patio area we backfilled with stone and set landscaping block to retain the stone. We then set patio stone on top of the stone.
What they did was build up one (the final) row of stones so that they could fill in the rest with aggregate (ie. HBP/limestone,etc.).
[OP]
Sep 6, 2006
252 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
CSK'sMom wrote: I'm not sure I'd layer the patio stones on top of one another. :confused: Generally speaking, you should be building up the grade with stone or fill of some kind and using something like a landscape block to retain the area. Our whole yard is sloped one way or another. When we built our patio area we backfilled with stone and set landscaping block to retain the stone. We then set patio stone on top of the stone.
What they did was build up one (the final) row of stones so that they could fill in the rest with aggregate (ie. HBP/limestone,etc.).
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
1239 posts
26 upvotes
Windsor
I would do what CSK's Mom suggested and build up the grade and use a retaining wall OR dig down the grade and use a retaining wall to stop the dirt from falling in and fill with gravel.

I'd be worried about stacking on patio stones because we know the bigger they are, the easier they crack. If you crack one of your buried patio slabs some point down the road, then you might throw your deck off level and replacing it would be a pain in the ass.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2006
252 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
SAS-1 wrote: I would do what CSK's Mom suggested and build up the grade and use a retaining wall OR dig down the grade and use a retaining wall to stop the dirt from falling in and fill with gravel.

I'd be worried about stacking on patio stones because we know the bigger they are, the easier they crack. If you crack one of your buried patio slabs some point down the road, then you might throw your deck off level and replacing it would be a pain in the ass.
So a retaining wall would be strong enough to hold the patio longterm?

This must be what I saw, as opposed to what I originally mentioned. They probably stacked up a retaining wall and filled in to make the patio level.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yes. Ours has been finished for 4 years now. We actually have 2 landscape blocks high for the retained section backfilled with 3/4 inch gravel with 16x16 patterned patio stones. We get virtually no heave with the frost in the winter and spring.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9609 posts
818 upvotes
Muskoka
My yard was about the same, maybe 6" off the ground level on one side. I ended up putting one patio stone underneath, and semi burying them, then using glue to hold the top stone down. I just did this on the edge, mind you, there is proper gravel base under the main patio. I just needed the extra stone to hold the gravel in.

Seems to be working out fine so far, but I only finished it recently, so I guess I'll see! I can't see any problems, though, I think it'll be fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)