PC & Video Games

Installing RetroArch on Xbox without needing developer mode or mods!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2022 7:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3791 posts
5902 upvotes

Installing RetroArch on Xbox without needing developer mode or mods!

I was going to pay to have dev mode access for my XSX and play around with RetroArch. So I was checking on Google for step by step instructions. A neogaf thread popped up. Also, I decided to check out the forum to see if there was any other useful stuff, and good grief is it ever a toxic cesspool...

Anyway, this one thread was pretty useful. It actually gives step by step instructions on how to install Retroarch onto your Xbox just using the MS store. It's so easy, just hit install, hit cancel before it installs on your PC, then swap the install location to your Xbox. You don't need dev mode or anything. I've installed it already, but haven't done anything else yet.

They also give instructions for setting up a FTP to just transfer games and other files over. I'll try that out once I get some free time this week.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/retroarch-for-xbox-one-series-x-s-no-modding-no-dev-mode-no-white-list.1612885/
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
Sweet, everyone should do it now in case MS closes that loophole!
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2056 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
Sweet! Thanks for sharing
Aug 18, 2008
831 posts
1483 upvotes
Thanks for posting!

I had never looked into putting emulators on my xbox one x, but I didn't know this could be done without mods or anything. Definitely going to try this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3791 posts
5902 upvotes
Yeah, once I saw that it didn't need dev mode and was super straight forward, it was go time! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
Slightly OT, but does anyone actually like RetroArch? Like as in the menu and layout.
I'm not sure if there are skins for it, but I can't stand the default. I have it on my Sega Genesis Classic, but the front-end is Project Lunar which does the default SGC menu. When it goes into RetroArch I'm just dying to get out of it right away.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3302 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
Not working for me? Doesn't seem to download
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2056 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
BernardRyder wrote: Slightly OT, but does anyone actually like RetroArch? Like as in the menu and layout.
I'm not sure if there are skins for it, but I can't stand the default. I have it on my Sega Genesis Classic, but the front-end is Project Lunar which does the default SGC menu. When it goes into RetroArch I'm just dying to get out of it right away.
Agreed. I use Hyperspin on my Shield and love it. However the Series X is more convenient for me as the Shield has become more a bedroom box for me.

Have you got Mame to work by any chance? If so any tips on that end?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
Kkhan15 wrote: Agreed. I use Hyperspin on my Shield and love it. However the Series X is more convenient for me as the Shield has become more a bedroom box for me.

Have you got Mame to work by any chance? If so any tips on that end?
I use MAME on PC only, sorry. I don't actually have an Xbox, not sure if MAME is even available on it. MAME is pretty good for arcade games but from little I've used RA it seems pretty good at supporting all kinds of systems. Definitely a better solution for generalized emulation.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3791 posts
5902 upvotes
AstonM wrote: Not working for me? Doesn't seem to download
Make sure that you're logged in with the same account on both, and on the same network.

If you've already changed the install location to the Xbox and it hasn't downloaded, try going into My Game and Apps > Full library > All owned games. It's probably listed, but not downloaded. You can download and install it from there.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3302 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: Make sure that you're logged in with the same account on both, and on the same network.

If you've already changed the install location to the Xbox and it hasn't downloaded, try going into My Game and Apps > Full library > All owned games. It's probably listed, but not downloaded. You can download and install it from there.
Thanks will give that a try tonight
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2056 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
Does anyone have a recommended setup tutorial? Would love to get Mame going, PS1. Dreamcast. Also Roms (I can ask right as they are legal due to licence being expired?). I have a ton somewhere for my shield but lost the USB somewhere

Side note: According to some Neogaf users, looks like MS blocked the loophole.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1684 posts
854 upvotes
Regina
This week Microsoft has blocked file access in developer mode, therefore making Retroarch very hard to use in developer mode. Does the retail version still work?
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12198 posts
3185 upvotes
--
waloshin wrote: This week Microsoft has blocked file access in developer mode, therefore making Retroarch very hard to use in developer mode. Does the retail version still work?
Surprise surprise.

Wouldn't he surprised if they banned the consoles of those who were installing it outside of dev mode as well...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5622 posts
2687 upvotes
Toronto
waloshin wrote: This week Microsoft has blocked file access in developer mode, therefore making Retroarch very hard to use in developer mode. Does the retail version still work?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)