• Feb 6th, 2017 12:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4345 posts
1172 upvotes
Charlottetown

installing Win 10 Pro on wiped SSD

hi guys. i need some tech advice and i'm not real good at tech stuff. i have an SSD from my broken netbook that i've wiped and installed as an internal (D) on my desktop computer, what i want to do (it was recommended to me) is install Win 10 Pro on it to speed up my boot time. i currently have a hard drive (C) with Win 10 on it, was thinking of doing a fresh install to speed it up but didn't want to lose all of my programs. i have a Win 10 Pro key (legit) and have downloaded Windows Media Creator onto a flash drive, and now i don't want to go any further until i'm positive what to do. what i'm trying/thinking is basically boot off Win 10 Pro on the SSD and leave existing drive for programs and storage, does that sound right or possible?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3607 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
you will need to reinstall all your programs if going for a fresh install
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2376 posts
967 upvotes
Toronto
You'll also need all your drivers for your hardware as well.

What you can do is unplug your current C drive, plug in the SSD drive, install Windows 10, install all drivers, install all software, and restore all of your favorites to your browser. If at any point you seem to be missing a driver or something seems funny, then unplug your SSD drive and plug back in your regular HD. Then you can retrieve what you forgot to get from your regular HD. Once you got everything set up then you can use your regular HD as your D drive.

I would suggest not formatting your regular HD for about 2 weeks just to make sure you have everything. I normally keep my HD in tact for about 4 weeks but I'm just paranoid that I forgot something.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17261 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
Will win 10 and your programs fit on the ssd with plenty of left over space? If yes, you could clone the hard drive and restore the image to the ssd and try booting off the ssd.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2201 posts
1072 upvotes
Saint John
Using an SSD as your boot drive is a great idea. It will really speed up the general responsiveness of your system.

You have two options:
(1) Clean install on the SSD, which involves reinstalling your software as others have mentioned.
(2) Use a cloning program like Macrium Reflect (free) to clone your HDD to your SSD. The advantage is you wouldn't have to reinstall anything, and the speed difference vs. a clean install should be negligible. The disadvantage is that your HDD is likely larger than your SSD, so if you have a lot of data on it, you'd have to move some files - big stuff like videos - to another location before cloning.

Personally I like a clean install, but there's no way around reinstalling your programs. You would probably want them on the SSD anyways to get the performance benefits. Once the reinstall is complete, you can repurpose the HDD to store media files, documents, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4345 posts
1172 upvotes
Charlottetown
the SSD is only 120 GB, the current HD is 1TB, so probably no chance of cloning, i'm not sure how much is downloads, etc or how much is actual programs. i hate to lose the programs, some can't be replaced, and some are "special" :(
i have both plugged in now but haven't done anything with the (D) SSD yet except wipe it.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17261 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
How much space is actually used on the 1 tb for the os and programs? Don't include user data files such as word or excel documents.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4345 posts
1172 upvotes
Charlottetown
i'm not sure, on Win 7 i could bring up the pie graph and see, 10 just seems to show all the files, i don't know my way around 10 like i did with 7, like i said, i'm not very techie, sorry.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17261 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
Open file explorer, right click on the drive, close properties.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4345 posts
1172 upvotes
Charlottetown
thanks, sorry, all i can get is Total Used 583 GB, Volume just shows all blanks.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17261 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
Since you've used 583 GB, you need to know how much of that is made up of your documents and data.

Open File Explorer, got to c:\users\your username\, right click on your username folder, and choose properties.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5462 posts
2992 upvotes
Toronto
Here is what I would do because you are curious to the point of doing the upgrade.

Remove your 1tb HDD. Insert 120 SSD and install windows. If you like what you see in terms of speed, continue and install all the drivers etc. Next, try to find the programs one by one and install that. If you failed to obtain that special program, insert your 1tb and it will hence become D drive and try to run your program from there. If all works, you can safely delete windows directory on 1tb hdd or leave it there Incase of emergency where you can just swap the drives and go back to your old windows.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10080 posts
2032 upvotes
Victoria
Yah you could try to find another drive, and back up as much data as you can of deletable stuff (like movies. games, etc..), and trying to trim the data on your 1tb below 120gb. If you can do that, you can clone it. Probably faster than a fresh install, and tracking down/installing drivers/software.
Apr 4, 2008
173 posts
67 upvotes
Windsor
Windows 10 takes up about 30GB. Not sure about Pro.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17261 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
On my HTPC, a Windows 10 x64 pro with all installed updates, Chrome, MPC-HC, and iTunes took up 17.7 GB.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2538 posts
402 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
audit13 wrote: On my HTPC, a Windows 10 x64 pro with all installed updates, Chrome, MPC-HC, and iTunes took up 17.7 GB.
Any idea on how you got it so low? I have a smaller drive in my HTPC (22GB msata) and it says x64 will take up 20GB so no room left for anything.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17261 posts
3507 upvotes
Toronto
I did a clean install using the 1607 release to an old 30 GB Kingston ssd now drive. I created the primary partition using the entire drive before installing so windows won't create any hidden partitions during the install process.

Should have mentioned that I have disabled system protection and virtual memory too.
Images
  • system.png
  • usage.png
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4345 posts
1172 upvotes
Charlottetown
thanks guys, sorry to take so long getting back, i'm picking at this as i get the time. i DO have a couple of 1 TB and a 2 TB external, so it sounds like, back up programs and files to external, disconnect HD, connect SSD and install Win 10 Pro, then selectively install programs from backup onto SSD (i'm sure there are some i can do without) then reconnect the 1 TB hard drive as (D) for storage, etc?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2538 posts
402 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
audit13 wrote: I did a clean install using the 1607 release to an old 30 GB Kingston ssd now drive. I created the primary partition using the entire drive before installing so windows won't create any hidden partitions during the install process.

Should have mentioned that I have disabled system protection and virtual memory too.
Thanks! Too bad I am selling the NUC, or else I would try. Maybe when I wipe it, I will be pro active and do that for the next person.
Banned
Dec 29, 2016
10 posts
2 upvotes
My advice unplug if you have previous HDD. Now install fress windows in SSD. This system has a benefit. If ever your SSD fails your pc will boot through HDD. And another advice to make your pc faster. Install only windows and other important software in SSD and other media files like image and movies in HDD.