• Jan 7th, 2018 5:27 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1424 posts
201 upvotes

Instapot

Looks like the new rage is the "instapot" you can have hard boiled eggs in a matter of minutes or a meal on the table in 30 mins , any one have one? is it worth it? Seems to me it is just a rage like when the bread maker came out, everyone had to have one and now they sit in closets on the shelfs.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4100 posts
677 upvotes
I wouldn't say that it's the new rage. The Instapot has been out since I think 2014? It's a programmable pressure cooker, and those are well used in home kitchens.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5400 posts
1105 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i use it mostly for eggs, rice (PiP method), and veggies. SImple things that doesnt require too much cleaning afterwards.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7348 posts
2579 upvotes
Markham
Don't really see the point of this thread. There are a ton of people who have had a pressure cooker and now a instant pot who absolutly love this new appliance. I use my several times a week, sometimes several times a day. The product cooks fast, makes food that tastes good and doesn't need to be tended to and doesn't make any noise or as much smell. There is a learning curve with it though and those who have bought who don't recognize that and give up to soon, it's their loss.

For some who say I have a slowslow cooker, it's not the same. Google the article by Kenji Lopez Alt on the differences of slow cooker chicken pressure cooking.

If you don't want to buy one, that's fine, but this is nothing like a bread machine. If mine breaks I will quickly look to replace it because I don't want to not have one in my kitchen. BTW I have a bread maker, it was a gift that I didn't ask for and yes I don't use it anymore due to my discovery of no knead bread technique.

Lastly, old school is days of stone age.... No need to keep doing it the old way. At one time we built fire with animal dung to cook... We don't need to do that anymore, we have stoves and ovens. If you can do something better faster more efficiently why not do it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 28, 2012
10249 posts
2405 upvotes
Saskatoon
I bought one in December but haven't opened the box yet. I have a stovetop pressure cooker but was never really comfortable with using it. Safety wasn't a factor, it just spit steam and cooking liquid all over the place, which was annoying.

I didn't buy a bread maker during that craze in the 90's (I made bread/buns by hand)...I purchased a Zojirushi about a month ago and haven't bought bread since.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto
I've had the Instant Pot for over a year. Its currently making next week's yogurt for my family. I'll take the whey from that and use the IP to incubate whey bread. Yesterday it prepped chickpeas for use for salads for the week. Made cheesecake for Christmas with it. Bought ribs today at the grocery store and I'll make ribs for dinner this week. I use it often for lots of things. I totally didn't think I'd use it as much as I have but its been great.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8513 upvotes
GTHA
rotjong wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 10:51 am
Looks like the new rage is the "instapot" you can have hard boiled eggs in a matter of minutes or a meal on the table in 30 mins , any one have one? is it worth it? Seems to me it is just a rage like when the bread maker came out, everyone had to have one and now they sit in closets on the shelfs.
The "rage" started in 2012 (in the U.S.)...

Instant Pot a Canadian success story
The Instant Pot was an instant success when it spread via word of mouth in the U.S. back in 2012. The Canadian success story has since gone on to break sales records online and perhaps more curiously, develop a cult-like following from those singing its praise.

Fired From His Own Startup, This Founder Invented Amazon's Hit Product of 2016
https://www.inc.com/magazine/201706/mar ... -2017.html

Former Nortel engineer behind viral ‘Instant Pot’
https://www.bnn.ca/former-nortel-engine ... t-1.698935
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1424 posts
201 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 2:50 pm
The "rage" started in 2012 (in the U.S.)...

Instant Pot a Canadian success story
The Instant Pot was an instant success when it spread via word of mouth in the U.S. back in 2012. The Canadian success story has since gone on to break sales records online and perhaps more curiously, develop a cult-like following from those singing its praise.

I honestly have never heard of that thing until just before Christmas when they were on sale every where, I'm not too much into appliances,

Fired From His Own Startup, This Founder Invented Amazon's Hit Product of 2016
https://www.inc.com/magazine/201706/mar ... -2017.html

Former Nortel engineer behind viral ‘Instant Pot’
https://www.bnn.ca/former-nortel-engine ... t-1.698935
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8513 upvotes
GTHA
rotjong wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 4:09 pm
I honestly have never heard of that thing until just before Christmas when they were on sale every where, I'm not too much into appliances,
I did not hear about the "Instant Pot" until just before Amazon Prime Day last July, almost bought one at that time.

"They've put zero advertising into getting it out into the public, and so really everything is created either through Facebook groups, or people are exchanging recipes on other social media. It's developed its fan base just through word of mouth, which is incredible."

from http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/will-in ... -1.4407355
May 21, 2015
722 posts
338 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Similar electronic pressure / multi cookers have been on the market for over 10 years. I bought a Bravetti model well over 10 years a go now and it was great, the downside to it was it had a Teflon pot and you couldn't adjust the time or pressure,, I bought an 8 qt Instant Pot awhile back and it's a vast improvement with the stainless steel pot which seems to be of good quality. I've never tried the slow cooking or rice cooking settings but I use it often for soups and stews.. It isn't near as fast as stove top pressure cooker though because it takes quite a while to build pressure in comparision.. I think people get the wrong impression when they read all these testimonials about having such and such in 25 minutes,, that does NOT include the time to build up pressure and the time needed for the pressure release, even a quick release can take nearly 10 minutes. For instance I wouldn't even bother doing eggs or cooking potatoes in it.. You can boil water and have eggs cooking and done faster on the stove.. I can cook a bunch of potatoes faster in my stove top pressure cooker than the Instant Pot.. Still in all, its a great machine because you don't have to time it.. That being said, I think some of the "auto" times on the machine, such as for stews and chili's etc are a bit too long,, I've cut them back by about 5-10 minutes and got better results where the vegetables hadn't all turned mushy.