Automotive

Insurance on 18 year old car

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 4:52 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
1240 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto

Insurance on 18 year old car

I am trying to get a second car manual trans just for fun 2000 jetta tdi. I am currently driving a 2011 golf tdi and paying about $2000 for insurance. I checked the rate on insurancehotline just to get an idea of the rate with 2 vehicles and it shows the cheapest is $6000. I checked the rate for just jetta and it was $4000. I checked with 2000 honda civic in case theres a glitch in the system but it was $4400. Is this normal for cars this old? I will call my insurance company on monday to find out but i am curious.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4124 posts
928 upvotes
Sask.
If you were in Saskatchewan, it would be just under a grand.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
1240 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
natalka wrote: If you were in Saskatchewan, it would be just under a grand.
Id rather live in ontario and pay up. But thanks for your input.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 26, 2003
2145 posts
388 upvotes
Canada
Rate is not only calculated on model, but also dependent on driver's age, sex, previous history, and location.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
1240 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
zoomzoom wrote: Rate is not only calculated on model, but also dependent on driver's age, sex, previous history, and location.
I know that obviously. My question is why does it cost twice as much for an older car to insure for the same driver.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5330 posts
3797 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Something is wrong, normally older cars are cheaper in insurance because in a total loss, they pay out less. It probably has to do with your profile or where you live. Something probably changed, but you pay to play in Toronto.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 4, 2008
626 posts
421 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote: Something is wrong, normally older cars are cheaper in insurance because in a total loss, they pay out less.
Actually older cars are more expensive to insure since they are not as safe as newer cars, don't have the latest technology to brake automatically, etc. I know because my 14 year old X5 was more expensive to insure than my brand new XC90. Makes sense when you think about it.
Member
Mar 8, 2016
205 posts
41 upvotes
I was paying 325 monthly for 2001 prelude on liability only, my 2010 Camaro ss I’m paying 275. In the gta age 20 (g2 for now). Older cars more expensive but depends on many factors.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5330 posts
3797 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
brutus99 wrote: Actually older cars are more expensive to insure since they are not as safe as newer cars, don't have the latest technology to brake automatically, etc. I know because my 14 year old X5 was more expensive to insure than my brand new XC90. Makes sense when you think about it.
Guess it's location, I don't see that happening with my insurance in GVA. With my bmw, insurance went down as time went on and it's from crappy ICBC.

Top