Tags:
[OP]
Dec 17, 2011
274 posts
109 upvotes
OTTAWA

Insurance

Good morning everyone,

First time home buyer here and I know absolutely nothing about Home Insurance.

Right now I've gotten 2 quotes

Intact: 1950 +tax
TD Insurance: 1550 +tax

Purely off of $ per annum obviously TD is the better choice. From what I can see the coverage seems to be the same.

But, I thought I read some where on here before that people had issues with TD?

Or, is there anything I should be aware of or any suggested other sellers?

Side Note: my main concern is water entering from rain+snow.

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have no experience with TD but am with allstate and they've been pretty good with claims. Do you mind sharing the Sqft of the house - that plays a big factor in determining the insurable amount and ultimately the insurance premium.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2011
274 posts
109 upvotes
OTTAWA
ZxExN wrote: I have no experience with TD but am with allstate and they've been pretty good with claims. Do you mind sharing the Sqft of the house - that plays a big factor in determining the insurable amount and ultimately the insurance premium.
Approx 1300-1400 + full finished basement
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rbkpwnz wrote: Approx 1300-1400 + full finished basement
What is the insurable amount? Seems extremely high for a 1400 Sqft house. For context, I pay 1950 taxes in for a 3200 sqft+ detached w/ replacement value at 1.2m in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1592 posts
961 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
If you're concerned about rain and snow coming in, make sure you have overland water coverage which is different from sewer.

We didn't know that was a different thing and our last insurance company didn't even offer it in our area (Sonnet) so we switched to TD and added it in. It ended up costing and extra $50 a month.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2011
274 posts
109 upvotes
OTTAWA
kittypink wrote: If you're concerned about rain and snow coming in, make sure you have overland water coverage which is different from sewer.

We didn't know that was a different thing and our last insurance company didn't even offer it in our area (Sonnet) so we switched to TD and added it in. It ended up costing and extra $50 a month.
Allstate somehow is quoting 270 a month....
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1849 posts
1434 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rbkpwnz wrote: Allstate somehow is quoting 270 a month....
lol are you insuring gold press latinium?
[OP]
Dec 17, 2011
274 posts
109 upvotes
OTTAWA
ZxExN wrote: lol are you insuring gold press latinium?
Nope lol

My questions are really more around coverage because I saw and heard people complain about some companies before but I just can't remember what I read.