• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 10:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote

Insurance/Accident Question

Hey guys I have a question before I go to my insurance company. I was involved in a accident involving a truck and I want to know whos at fault. Ok so I was leaving work and I was at a red light, there are 4 lanes in total. 2 turning left and 2 going straight. I was in the straight lane but I wanted to switch lanes to go into the left turning lane.. keep in mind the light is still red, so I switch lanes into the left turning late infront of a transport truck. At this point more then half my car is in the turning lane and the rest of my car is still in the straight lane on a angle. Then the light turns green and boom the truck hits me damaging my rear drivers door.. whos at fault here ?
Last edited by Tommyleesparta on Jul 29th, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
In Ontario, you would be considered at fault. There's no rule that says if you're mostly in the lane then they have to let you in otherwise they're at fault.

(4) If the incident occurs when automobile “B” is changing lanes, the driver of automobile “A” is not at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 100 per cent at fault for the incident.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
I was stationary. The light was red after i changed lanes. The light went green then he hit me.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
barrybeefburger wrote: Where you stationary or moving
I was stationary. The light was red after i changed lanes. The light went green then he hit me.
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
Manatus wrote: In Ontario, you would be considered at fault. There's no rule that says if you're mostly in the lane then they have to let you in otherwise they're at fault.

(4) If the incident occurs when automobile “B” is changing lanes, the driver of automobile “A” is not at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 100 per cent at fault for the incident.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668
Does this apply even when both cars were stopped at a red light ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8564 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
Do you have anything to prove you were stationary, Dashcam? Otherwise, the tuck can accuse you weren't.
Tommyleesparta wrote: I was stationary. The light was red after i changed lanes. The light went green then he hit me.
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5141 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
I usually don't get drivers like OP Hear-no-evil Monkey☹️. You changed your mind, last minute decision, wrong street - keep going straight till safe, make left on next lights or parking lot and come back. Don't change 2,3 lines across and cause trouble. Are people really that cheap, that 0.5L of gas will ruin their budget? There is a saying that if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes. I see this every day - people making u-turns, cutting off other drivers etc. You jumped in in front of much higher truck, partially blocking him, so you can't always expect other drivers to see you. I know this sucks, but you will be 100% at fault here.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15000 posts
11514 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Op is at fault. You got accident forgiveness? Show us the video.

Damage is easily 6-8k.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3342 posts
1938 upvotes
Mississauga
I witnessed a similar accident about 3 years ago. The police officer deemed the car at fault but I don't how it worked out in the end with insurance.

The truck stopped at the red light with a slight gap so he could see the car ahead of him. Truck driver assumed he was still 2nd in line not knowing another car had tied to switch lanes when the traffic light was red and ending up chilling in the blind spot in front of the truck(half in the lane on the passenger side). Light turned green and the lane switcher now hidden in the Truck's front bind spot didn't move fast enough.

People forget there is a huge blind spot in front of trucks especially with Conventional Truck with the cabin behind the engine. Trucks leave a gap when stopped so they can see the car in front of them not for other people to jump in to fill up the gap

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/ ... -vehicles/
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
Tommyleesparta wrote: Hey guys I have a question before I go to my insurance company. I was involved in a accident involving a truck and I want to know whos at fault. Ok so I was leaving work and I was at a red light, there are 4 lanes in total. 2 turning left and 2 going straight. I was in the straight lane but I wanted to switch lanes to go into the left turning lane.. keep in mind the light is still red, so I switch lanes into the left turning late infront of a transport truck. At this point more then half my car is in the turning lane and the rest of my car is still in the straight lane on a angle. Then the light turns green and boom the truck hits me damaging my rear drivers door.. whos at fault here ?
Looks like you sneaked into his blind spot...pretty sure it's your fault for the insurance
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
5 posts
1 upvote
angry-trucker wrote: Looks like you sneaked into his blind spot...pretty sure it's your fault for the insurance
How? If that was the case my front end would be damaged.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3668 posts
807 upvotes
From your explanation, you should be at fault for sneaking in without thinking, or making eye contact with the driver.....you are not in the lane, your fault.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11077 posts
4331 upvotes
Check with your insurance but since you didn't complete the lane change probably at fault.

For future reference if you change your mind at an intersection you should continue through, make a turn at the next street then come around and back on your way. Changing lanes increases the risk of getting into an accident and doing so near or in an intersection increases that risk even more. See this all the time. If you are deemed at fault put it down as a lesson learned.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
Hard to tell from the video but looks like you went last minute over a solid line, you're at fault. Illegal lane change
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8564 posts
897 upvotes
Scarborough
F__k, that is a big damage. Sorry, I feel bad for you.
Tommyleesparta wrote: I have video after and photos after the fact. The way my car was hit you can tell I was stationary. If i was switching lanes while i was hit my front end would of been damaged. But based on the damage on my vehicle i was only hit at rear door.

Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
Tommyleesparta wrote: How? If that was the case my front end would be damaged.
Not necessarily...there's enough room for a car like that to sneak in sideways...especially from a standstill...lanes are wide enough, but you didn't have enough room to straighten out....so you sat there at an angle, waiting for the light to turn.

After you sneaked in (thinking how smart you were), the truck started moving and clipped the part of your car closest to his bumper (in your case the rear drivers side).
I hope your insurance goes way up after this, since stupidity should never go unpunished.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Tommyleesparta wrote: How? If that was the case my front end would be damaged.
Neither the pictures or video or damage show that it wasn't your fault. If I as a betting man, I'd wager that the insurance companies, without any actual evidence or non-biased eye-witnesses, will assign a 50/50 fault. So yeah, you'll both be considered "at fault".

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8003 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Neither the pictures or video or damage show that it wasn't your fault. If I as a betting man, I'd wager that the insurance companies, without any actual evidence or non-biased eye-witnesses, will assign a 50/50 fault. So yeah, you'll both be considered "at fault".

C
I do agree with you. But seems Op's sneak into the truck driver blind spot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)