None
[OP]
Jul 15, 2010
13 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Insurance after two at fault accidents

Hi

I am in Toronto, Ontario and I recently had my second at-fault accident (the first one was in 2007). My insurance company has informed me that they will not be renewing my insurance when it expires at the end of the year.

Any suggestions on where/what type of insurance I can get?

Thanks!
45 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2006
1050 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
Is that legal in Ontario for insurance company to decline auto insurance?

In AB, it is illegal for insurance company to decline auto insurance coverage.
Alberta Auto, Home, Business and Travel Insurance Broker
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2005
3372 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
It is good that they won't insure you, as you are clearly a danger on the road and should resort to walking instead.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4389 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
I believe it is legal in Ontario.

OP you'll have to find another insurance company? Isn't that obvious? Lol. Seeing as how you got dropped you'll probably have to resort to facility insurance (insurance for high risk drivers) which will be costly. Best of luck with that, call around.
kingrukus wrote: It is good that they won't insure you, as you are clearly a danger on the road and should resort to walking instead.

You don't know the circumstances so just shut up and refrain from posting useless ****.
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
VorteC wrote: I believe it is legal in Ontario.

OP you'll have to find another insurance company? Isn't that obvious? Lol. Seeing as how you got dropped you'll probably have to resort to facility insurance (insurance for high risk drivers) which will be costly. Best of luck with that, call around.

You don't know the circumstances so just shut up and refrain from posting useless ****.

This is most likely... Prepare for a butt-rapin.

I had something similar happen to me but it was because of speeding tickets, got a non-renewal notice in the mail and had to get facility insurance. $700 a month with no collision or comprehensive, so glad that's over.
Because you touch yourself at night
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
if the company has a filed rule that they can not write anyone with 2 at faults within a specific time frame, then yes..they can non renew due to underwriting guidelines.

Your best bet is to start calling for some quotes well before your policy lapses.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3342 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
they won't offer you renewal under their books but they can put you in the "high risk market"

any company can put you under the "high risk market"
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3472 posts
524 upvotes
Valleywood
COSMIC5 wrote: if the company has a filed rule that they can not write anyone with 2 at faults within a specific time frame, then yes..they can non renew due to underwriting guidelines.

Your best bet is to start calling for some quotes well before your policy lapses.

But the answer to the question, "Have you ever been denied vehicle coverage with any insurer?", I assume, is still "Yes".

Not sure how the OP is going to avoid "facility".
Aug 25, 2007
460 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
tsat wrote: This is most likely... Prepare for a butt-rapin.

I had something similar happen to me but it was because of speeding tickets, got a non-renewal notice in the mail and had to get facility insurance. $700 a month with no collision or comprehensive, so glad that's over.

How much time did it take for you to drop back down to normal insurance rates after going the facility insurance route?

Two accidents sound like a fair bit but you can just have some bad luck in perhaps an accident in a snow blizzard and sliding out, and perhaps getting rear ended in a second instance. So sometimes the circumstances do warrant a second look, you would think if your were a customer for 20 years they would allow for a third strike before dropping you.

I personally have never had an accident in 30 years of driving, but with the amount of traffic buildup over the years and nasty weather might be more inclined to think three strikes before dropping or making someone pay exhorbitnat rates.

Don't you guys think 3 strikes is a better rule, long as no stupid stuff like large speeding tickets, running stop signs, really anything other than parking infractions which obviously would weigh into the situation?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1220 posts
82 upvotes
it will take 6 years for the record to drop, you may want to consider driving at all while paying those rate for a long time.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Hot Ice wrote: it will take 6 years for the record to drop, you may want to consider driving at all while paying those rate for a long time.

But if he had no insurance for 6 years, won't he get butt raped without lube for not having insurance for the last 6 years?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
2270 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Sprite_TM wrote: they won't offer you renewal under their books but they can put you in the "high risk market"

No they cannot which is why OP got a notice of non-renewal. There's only certain insurers that can offer facility insurance.
Ballroomblitz wrote: How much time did it take for you to drop back down to normal insurance rates after going the facility insurance route?

Two accidents sound like a fair bit but you can just have some bad luck in perhaps an accident in a snow blizzard and sliding out, and perhaps getting rear ended in a second instance. So sometimes the circumstances do warrant a second look, you would think if your were a customer for 20 years they would allow for a third strike before dropping you.

I personally have never had an accident in 30 years of driving, but with the amount of traffic buildup over the years and nasty weather might be more inclined to think three strikes before dropping or making someone pay exhorbitnat rates.

Don't you guys think 3 strikes is a better rule, long as no stupid stuff like large speeding tickets, running stop signs, really anything other than parking infractions which obviously would weigh into the situation?

With my insurer at the time they said that once i had 6 speeding tickets on my record they could no longer insure me, and they couldn't offer me insurance until i had 2 or less infractions on my record. For me that took almost 2 years for enough tickets to come off.

From what i gather, there can be differences between insurance companies with how many infractions you can have before they cannot insure you. I mean i had 6 speeding tickets before i got dropped and I've heard of other insurers dropping people after 3 speeding tickets. I think that having 2 at fault accidents spread out over 4 years is a little much to classify someone as high risk, but then again I've only ever had speeding tickets and never an accident.

OP should call around to see if he's completely boned.
Because you touch yourself at night
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
correct, they wouldn't offer a renewal
fastlayne wrote: But the answer to the question, "Have you ever been denied vehicle coverage with any insurer?", I assume, is still "Yes".

Not sure how the OP is going to avoid "facility".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
The Facility Association contracts with a few member automobile insurance companies to act as "Servicing Carriers".
Sprite_TM wrote: they won't offer you renewal under their books but they can put you in the "high risk market"

Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1281 upvotes
Ontario
getting rear ended by another vehicle will not go against you as an at fault as it is a not at fault accident.
Ballroomblitz wrote: How much time did it take for you to drop back down to normal insurance rates after going the facility insurance route?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)