• Dec 20th, 2020 9:55 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 11, 2018
125 posts
127 upvotes

Insurance claim for Covid Test

Planning for an overseas trip due to personal emergency.

Airlines are stating they need a Covid test report in hand, before they allow boarding.

Shoppers has this for $199 plus HST, here in Ontario.

Looking for feedback from fellow RFDers if anyone has gotten this and successfully applied for reimbursement from insurance company?
10 replies
Dec 5, 2017
195 posts
154 upvotes
Well, in this part of Ontario I go to one of the local covid test centers setup by our government. And then a few days later I get the results.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7093 posts
1790 upvotes
Toronto
Spiritwalker2222 wrote: Well, in this part of Ontario I go to one of the local covid test centers setup by our government. And then a few days later I get the results.
International travel need documentation, unlike local when you can check at the website days later. Hence, the cost of $199.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12108 posts
8427 upvotes
Edmonton
PeeKayShree wrote: Planning for an overseas trip due to personal emergency.

Airlines are stating they need a Covid test report in hand, before they allow boarding.

Looking for feedback from fellow RFDers if anyone has gotten this and successfully applied for reimbursement from insurance company?
What insurance company do you think should be providing you reimbursement for this? Travel insurance won't, because it's before your trip. Home/Auto insurance is a no-go. You could check with your third party health insurance, if you have any, but you really don't provide any details.

C
[OP]
Mar 11, 2018
125 posts
127 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
What insurance company do you think should be providing you reimbursement for this? Travel insurance won't, because it's before your trip. Home/Auto insurance is a no-go. You could check with your third party health insurance, if you have any, but you really don't provide any details.

C
I was thinking Health insurance, if any. Agree that Travel Home Auto will not provide coverage.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12108 posts
8427 upvotes
Edmonton
PeeKayShree wrote: I was thinking Health insurance, if any. Agree that Travel Home Auto will not provide coverage.
You would need to contact your health insurance provider, or at least post the name of it. Different plans cover different things. Pretty sure your provincial plan won't cover it, as it's an optional expense. Just like they don't cover immunizations needed for travel to high risk locations, etc.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6160 posts
1160 upvotes
PeeKayShree wrote: Planning for an overseas trip due to personal emergency.

Health plans normally cover tests that are medically necessary but not covered by your provincial plans, would be surprised if a private health plan would cover this.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3936 posts
1181 upvotes
Durham Region
No reason not to try claiming it but I'd be surprised if it was covered.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2018
125 posts
127 upvotes
Thanks for the responses, folks. I'll keep posted what I find from the procider.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3705 posts
3202 upvotes
Just curious if the airline is requiring a covid test then what are the requirements of the country you are visiting?
Dec 1, 2020
445 posts
252 upvotes
PeeKayShree wrote: Thanks for the responses, folks. I'll keep posted what I find from the procider.
Health plans sometimes cover vaccines for travel so may depend on your plan. I know some vaccines I needed for travel were covered but some not. Oddly, yellow fever was buy the typhoid injection was not. It could be that it's just too new for them to have thought about. Probably health spending account for sure. Good luck. Let us know.
I likely do not care.