• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2021 9:05 am
[OP]
Sep 24, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote

Insurance claim question

Hi everyone,

I recently got a rock hitting my windshield and would now need to replace it.

I was wondering if it is worth going through my insurance for it? Would it increase my premium?

Thanks,
4 replies
May 7, 2015
692 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CarbonX1 wrote: Hi everyone,

I recently got a rock hitting my windshield and would now need to replace it.

I was wondering if it is worth going through my insurance for it? Would it increase my premium?

Thanks,
I don’t think windshield is a rateable claim. You should be good . So long as you have comprehensive coverage .

But wait for some brokers to answer

You could always call your insurance company, it doesn’t cost you anything to call and ask
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
Will replacing my windshield cause my insurance rates to increase?
If you need a new windshield and want your insurance to help ease your pane, your rates shouldn’t take a hit – if you have coverage.

“That’s a comprehensive claim and it won’t cause your rates to increase,” says Anne Marie Thomas, senior manager of partner relationships for rate-comparison site Insurance Hotline.

But, even though your rates won’t go up, there might be limits on how many windshield claims you can make. If you have too many – say, one every six months – your insurance company could raise your deductible. Or, they could refuse to pay for any more windshield claims, Thomas says.

The catch is that you can only make a claim if you bought comprehensive coverage that includes glass damage.
This came up last week and there were people saying that ANY claim causes your insurance to go up, that is false. If you have the proper coverage your rate won't go up. If you have an insurance company that is looking for ANY reason to raise you rate then you have a shitty insurance company and need to shop for a new one come renewal time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5069 posts
3251 upvotes
Had this happen on my then-new GTI. Rock chip that grew really fast overnight.

Paid the deducatable ($300) and rest was covered for OEM replacement at the dealer which was $1600. Did it at the dealer as part of the windshield were a lot of sensors etc. No increase.

You pay thousands to insurance every year, they're there to serve a purpose.