Automotive

Insurance Company said not to go to Collision Reporting Centre

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2019 5:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1631 posts
299 upvotes

Insurance Company said not to go to Collision Reporting Centre

Wife was T-boned in a low-speed parking lot accident yesterday in the rear quarter of the car with the other driver claiming that we had hit HER (?)

Went to the nearest Collision Reporting centre but they said there wouldn't be enough time to process us and to come back tomorrow.

In the meantime, we called our insurance company who informed us that they would send an appraiser and speak with the other insurance company and determine who's at fault. They said that going to a Cllcison Reporting Centre would be a waste of time and that it could be sorted out without them.

Does this sound right? Should I go to a reporting centre?

The damage estimate we had from a nearby body-shop said that it would cost ~$1200
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2017
1053 posts
850 upvotes
Yes, you should go.
Why would they care about YOUR time.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
4583 posts
3804 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bobor wrote: Wife was T-boned in a low-speed parking lot accident yesterday in the rear quarter of the car with the other driver claiming that we had hit HER (?)

Went to the nearest Collision Reporting centre but they said there wouldn't be enough time to process us and to come back tomorrow.

In the meantime, we called our insurance company who informed us that they would send an appraiser and speak with the other insurance company and determine who's at fault. They said that going to a Cllcison Reporting Centre would be a waste of time and that it could be sorted out without them.

Does this sound right? Should I go to a reporting centre?

The damage estimate we had from a nearby body-shop said that it would cost ~$1200
Collision Reporting is not required if total damage between both vehicles is less than $2,000.

If the other vehicle’s damage is similar to yours then you need to report. But if the other vehicle only has a scratch or scuff that’ll be less than $800 to fix, the reporting is not required.
Sr. Member
Feb 25, 2004
518 posts
207 upvotes
it's a parking lot MVA, if you're already disputing fault with the other driver there is really no point to filing with the CRC as you already (assumingly) have their info.

chances are, unless you have dashcam footage or an inpartial witness that you're both going to absorb fault
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
46344 posts
9359 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
kyfe wrote: it's a parking lot MVA, if you're already disputing fault with the other driver there is really no point to filing with the CRC as you already (assumingly) have their info.

chances are, unless you have dashcam footage or an inpartial witness that you're both going to absorb fault
Thats false. Parking lot accidents arent automatically 50:50.

Example... a guy takes a shit load of meth and decides to play demolition derby in a parking lot smashing everyone and rolling over every car. Doesnt make him 50% at fault just because hes in a parking lot!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2009
2701 posts
1368 upvotes
bobor wrote: Wife was T-boned in a low-speed parking lot accident yesterday in the rear quarter of the car with the other driver claiming that we had hit HER (?)

...

Does this sound right? Should I go to a reporting centre?

Hey OP, if the other driver is claiming that it is your wife's fault for the MVA, why on G-d's green earth, would you not want to back yourself up with a paper trail? Why not go to the collision centre and have your wife say her side of the story?

This is Ontario. There's high chance the other driver will sue you, claiming personal injuries. That's what people do, nowadays. Go speak with a lawyer about your options. Too many people treat MVAs as lottery wins at the expense of someone else.

Lastly, STOP talking about this case on a public community forum. Not a good idea.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16693 posts
15106 upvotes
Richmond Hill
UrbanPoet wrote: Thats false. Parking lot accidents arent automatically 50:50.

Example... a guy takes a shit load of meth and decides to play demolition derby in a parking lot smashing everyone and rolling over every car. Doesnt make him 50% at fault just because hes in a parking lot!
Yup not sure why people always assume parking lot accidents are 50/50. It NEVER is.
Sr. Member
Feb 25, 2004
518 posts
207 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Thats false. Parking lot accidents arent automatically 50:50.

Example... a guy takes a shit load of meth and decides to play demolition derby in a parking lot smashing everyone and rolling over every car. Doesnt make him 50% at fault just because hes in a parking lot!
EP32k2 wrote: Yup not sure why people always assume parking lot accidents are 50/50. It NEVER is.
TO be clear I never said that. both of you said 50/50 not I

I stated (correctly) what the likely outcome will be based on the current situation. Parking lot accidents are not automatically 50/50 which is why I never said that. Based on the posters situation it is clear he is a (s)he said/(s)he said situation. The insuer will view the damage on the vehicle and evaluate the impact to aid in determining how the acicdednt occurred if they cannot clarify it is likley to be rated 50/50

here are the rules that determine fault, it's not arbitrary but who's story do you believe? That's why the likleyhood is higher that this will be split liability (that's what us experts call it)
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668

Image
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9335 upvotes
Toronto
How is the wife at fault if another car runs into you perpendicularly? That's magic.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16854 posts
18590 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote: How is the wife at fault if another car runs into you perpendicularly? That's magic.
Theoretically if he was driving down an aisle and she sped out of their spot then they could be hit in the side and be at fault.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54685 posts
19492 upvotes
$1200 is cheap but I would report to collision center because you may not be at fault and it will usually cost more to repair so you can pocket the difference between insurance pay out and your repair cost
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 18, 2008
947 posts
77 upvotes
I was side-swiped by a van once a while back and we were told to report to CRC. I heard the other driver complaining that they were from out of town and wouldn't be able to. Of course it turns into a he said she said situation with the insurance companies and I'm assigned 50% fault (incorrectly). I asked my insurance adjuster to check what the police report said and the other guy didn't report it. I said obviously he was willing to lie to his insurance company but the not the police and they adjusted my claim to no fault.
Sr. Member
Feb 25, 2004
518 posts
207 upvotes
That's great to hear, you can always dispute the determination if you disagree with the result.
Sr. Member
Feb 25, 2004
518 posts
207 upvotes
koffey wrote: How is the wife at fault if another car runs into you perpendicularly? That's magic.
yes Magic, if ever you cannot figure something out because you lack expertise then generally it's magic.

PS I'm also a witch :twisted:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9335 upvotes
Toronto
kyfe wrote: yes Magic, if ever you cannot figure something out because you lack expertise then generally it's magic.

PS I'm also a witch :twisted:
Never been in an a parking lot accident, so yes magic lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2016
1609 posts
1675 upvotes
hobbes778 wrote: I was side-swiped by a van once a while back and we were told to report to CRC. I heard the other driver complaining that they were from out of town and wouldn't be able to. Of course it turns into a he said she said situation with the insurance companies and I'm assigned 50% fault (incorrectly). I asked my insurance adjuster to check what the police report said and the other guy didn't report it. I said obviously he was willing to lie to his insurance company but the not the police and they adjusted my claim to no fault.
Yup I see no reason not to report unless you have something to hide. What bad advice from the insurance company. If things go 50/50 op has no options to dispute.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29382 posts
9974 upvotes
The collision reporting centre is a waste of time, yes. It's also only really a "thing" in bigger cities, like in Toronto/around the GTA. Elsewhere, there's no such thing. However some kind of police report may be required for fault determination so yeah if you feel you weren't at fault, go to the reporting centre.
Newbie
Aug 30, 2019
3 posts
2 upvotes
Whitby, Ontario
Just keep in mind that in Ontario, if the combined damage for both vehicles is more than $2,000, you are required to file a police accident report. The easiest way to do that may be at a collision reporting centre. Don’t forget to get contact information for any witnesses at the scene that can confirm what happened. This may save you from having an at-fault claim on your insurance record.
Ontario Insurance brokerage.

Top