Insurance coverage and floor repair

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 8:58 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
47 posts
7 upvotes

Insurance coverage and floor repair

TL/DR: Neighbour flooded my 1-bedroom condo, and it appears on the surface that none of 3 insurance policies (neighbour's, strata's, mine) will cover the cost of repair.

---

Hello,

Please help! I am looking for advice & any tips on how to save money.

I live in a condo, and my neighbour had a flood that leaked into my unit. I collected a full bucket of water from mopping the floor. My floor has now cracked up and needs to be replaced as the result.

The neighbour has an insurance, so do the strata and I. HOWEVER. It appears that the strata would not cover my flooring repair, because it's an "upgrade", and the neighbour's insurance would only cover his deductable for the strata's claim - at least, this is what I'm preliminarily told during the assessment - nothing is officially stated yet (this just happened on the weekend). I have my own insurance, but upon closer inspection, my policy has a deductable of $5700 for "owner upgrades and improvements".

Also, FWIW, I don't remember if there was a disclosure that the floor was upgraded when I purchased the unit. Will need to double-check.

Questions:

- Is a floor replaced during renovation even count as an "upgrade"? It was replaced by the previous owner; the building was 12 years old at that point. It's not a heated or fancy floor or anything, just new laminate/hardwood replacing the worn out one. Does this mean that once you renovate a condo, the strata is off the hook for any future insurance coverages?

- Can the strata cover the cost of replacing my "upgraded" floor with an "original" one?

- Can I go after the neighbour's insurance directly to cover my $5700 expense? From what I understand, this flooring job is going to come to ~$5K (it's a small 1-bedroom).
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1136 posts
885 upvotes
Durham Region
5700 deductible?? Wtf?

Also 5k for flooring in a small condo??
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
47 posts
7 upvotes
networksend wrote: 5700 deductible?? Wtf?
Yes, for "custom upgrades" specifically my coverage is at 57,000 with 5,700 deductable. Is that bad?
networksend wrote: Also 5k for flooring in a small condo??
I asked the restoration guy for a ballpark figure, he said $3-5K, so I am going with that. I never had to deal with reno before, don't know what it costs. I'd guesstimate the area to be re-floored at 400 sq.ft.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7024 posts
1368 upvotes
Scarborough
Whats the point of insurance when they won’t pay when its time? No wonder so many ppl just dont bother anymore. Cash deals much better to get it fixed?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3289 posts
2272 upvotes
Toronto
How many sq ft of flooring, and what kind of flooring is in there now?

If it was me I'd likely just go my own way, rip out the flooring and DIY the replacement. It's easy to do.

Assuming it's around 800 sq ft $5000 isn't an insane amount to redo the flooring. Remove, prep, install, trim... all for $6-$7 per sq ft? That's stupid cheap.

If it's repairing one area, then yes, it's too much. But, it's nearly impossible to repair an area of laminate flooring given how every product is so unique and it's unlikely whatever flooring is there now is still available to buy.
May 12, 2003
371 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
I wonder if you could sue the neighbor for the deductible.....since it was his unit that leaked and not yours.

Unsure of the rules.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5039 posts
4128 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: Whats the point of insurance when they won’t pay when its time? No wonder so many ppl just dont bother anymore. Cash deals much better to get it fixed?
Well question should be why did OP buy a policy with a $5700 deductible. Insurance isn't refusing to pay, just the deductible is higher than OP thought.

But I have no idea why op would buy such a policy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5039 posts
4128 upvotes
CraigRFD wrote: TL/DR: Neighbour flooded my 1-bedroom condo, and it appears on the surface that none of 3 insurance policies (neighbour's, strata's, mine) will cover the cost of repair.

---

Hello,

Please help! I am looking for advice & any tips on how to save money.

I live in a condo, and my neighbour had a flood that leaked into my unit. I collected a full bucket of water from mopping the floor. My floor has now cracked up and needs to be replaced as the result.

The neighbour has an insurance, so do the strata and I. HOWEVER. It appears that the strata would not cover my flooring repair, because it's an "upgrade", and the neighbour's insurance would only cover his deductable for the strata's claim - at least, this is what I'm preliminarily told during the assessment - nothing is officially stated yet (this just happened on the weekend). I have my own insurance, but upon closer inspection, my policy has a deductable of $5700 for "owner upgrades and improvements".

Also, FWIW, I don't remember if there was a disclosure that the floor was upgraded when I purchased the unit. Will need to double-check.

Questions:

- Is a floor replaced during renovation even count as an "upgrade"? It was replaced by the previous owner; the building was 12 years old at that point. It's not a heated or fancy floor or anything, just new laminate/hardwood replacing the worn out one. Does this mean that once you renovate a condo, the strata is off the hook for any future insurance coverages?

- Can the strata cover the cost of replacing my "upgraded" floor with an "original" one?

- Can I go after the neighbour's insurance directly to cover my $5700 expense? From what I understand, this flooring job is going to come to ~$5K (it's a small 1-bedroom).
1. Condo insurance covers repairs back to the standard unit as in the condo declaration. Depends if the standard unit had carpet or laminate/hardwood.

But yes, if you upgrade your beyond standard finishes, your insurance covers it. I mean imagine someone had imported bamboo floors or other high end stuff, condo insurance isn't going to pay for it

2. Yes, strata will cover cost of replacement to original unit bylaw standards. So If it was carpet, you can get carpet

3. You can try. But you still need to pay to fix your floors first as litigation or even settlement can take years
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
47 posts
7 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: 1. Condo insurance covers repairs back to the standard unit as in the condo declaration. Depends if the standard unit had carpet or laminate/hardwood.

But yes, if you upgrade your beyond standard finishes, your insurance covers it. I mean imagine someone had imported bamboo floors or other high end stuff, condo insurance isn't going to pay for it

2. Yes, strata will cover cost of replacement to original unit bylaw standards. So If it was carpet, you can get carpet

3. You can try. But you still need to pay to fix your floors first as litigation or even settlement can take years
Thank you, this definitely helps
Feb 25, 2004
970 posts
438 upvotes
Longueuil
Do you have laminate or hardwood? Laminate is not an upgrade over carpet, you can try to get multiple quotes, you will see that they are about the same price (obviously if you compare low end carpet vs high end laminate, the price won't be the same but for similar quality, price is about the same).
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
47 posts
7 upvotes
An update on the story:

1. I have laminate, and it's an "upgrade" - the original was carpet

2. My insurance has a deductable of $1000 on water damage. The $5700 deductable turns out to be for something else.

3. Strata insurance will cover the work of the emergency response team:
- laminate removal
- dehumidifiers
- baseboard removal and reinstallation
Strata insurance will not cover any cost associated with replacing my floor, except for the emergency removal.
My insurance will cover installation of a new flooring at a price level similar to my existing one.