• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 3:06 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
253 posts
305 upvotes
NEPEAN

Insurance & new driver with differerent households

My son just received his G2 license and I'm running into a insurance situation I didn't account for. Maybe others on the same situation can give me insight. He splits his time between 2 different households (divorce, 50/50 split). Was trying to add him to our policy for insurance. During the course of the discussion with my insurance I discovered that he can only be part of one policy. In this case his Mother added him to her policy first.

What I'd like to know is the following:
1. Its a fact that when he's with us I can , with permission, allow him to drive our car(s) - and that HIS MOTHERS policy will cover his insurance needs correct?
2. Would I need to disclose the cars he will be driving to his Mothers insurers?
3. What would he need to carry with him (insurance wise) in order to drive our cars and in cases where he gets into an accident?
4. [EDIT: added]: Wonder if "Primary" household plays a role as well....

We're from Ontario btw.

Much appreciate any insight.
Last edited by Velvetsmack on Aug 14th, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12764 posts
9499 upvotes
GTA, ON
@COSMIC5 can probably answer that question.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1434 upvotes
???
Insurance follows the vehicle not the owner. If his drivers license shows your address then he needs to be on your policies not his moms, if it’s his moms address then you can just lend him your car when needed.

If he gets into an accident while borrowing your car, your insurance will be effected.

1. Your insurance will cover him even if not listed on the policy as long as he does not reside at your address (check drivers license). You’ll be responsible for any accidents. Traffic tickets do not effect your insurance if he is not listed on policy.
2. You do not need to inform moms insurance.
3. He only needs to carry the vehicles insurance paper and green registration and plate permit, for the vehicle he is driving.
4. Whichever is his legal primary address would carry the insurance policy.
Last edited by vaportech on Aug 14th, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
253 posts
305 upvotes
NEPEAN
vaportech wrote: Insurance follows the vehicle not the owner. If his drivers license shows your address then he needs to be on your policies not his moms, if it’s his moms address then you can just lend him your car when needed.

If he gets into an accident while borrowing your car, your insurance will be effected.

1. Your insurance will cover him even if not listed on the policy as long as he does not reside at your address (check drivers license). You’ll be responsible for any accidents. Traffic tickets do not effect your insurance if he is not listed on policy.
2. You do not need to inform moms insurance.
3. He only needs to carry the vehicles insurance paper and green registration and plate permit.
So it's his Mom's address, which then, if I read you correctly, would mean its his Mom's policy that would cover any accident on my cars correct? (your last statement confused me a bit)

Thanks for the feedback
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1434 upvotes
???
Velvetsmack wrote: So it's his Mom's address, which then, if I read you correctly, would mean its his Mom's policy that would cover any accident on my cars correct? (your last statement confused me a bit)

Thanks for the feedback
No, like I said, insurance covers the vehicle not the owner.

So if he is under his moms insurance and got into an accident in your car, your insurance would pay for his medical and the vehicle. At fault or not at fault would effect you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1434 upvotes
???
To keep it simple.

If you lend a car to a friend that does not have your address listed on the drivers license, in any types of accidents be it at fault or not at fault, your insurance policy will cover it. Regardless if the friend carries their own insurance or not. And your insurance premiums would be effected, even if you were not driving or in the car at the time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6753 posts
5515 upvotes
In other words, you are screwed either way if you son get into accident.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
253 posts
305 upvotes
NEPEAN
I suppose the only silver lining here is that I'm not paying any premium as he's not on the policy - but if an accident occurs it's on my insurance..understood. Thanks for the clarification.