Automotive

Insurance only approved aftermarket windshield replacement?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2020 7:00 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
2101 posts
799 upvotes
ORLEANS

Insurance only approved aftermarket windshield replacement?

Vehicle is registered in Quebec.
So I need my windshield replace due to a rock. So I called my insurance to file a claim because my deductible is only $250. I selected a bmw certified collision centre to due the repairs. They called me to schedule an appointment because they received my repair request from my insurance. They said the insurance only approved for aftermarket glass. I called my insurance company they said you car doesn’t have original glass policy? I got my Honda CR-V glass replaced in 2019 and it was original Honda glass....
but when I review my policy, all the benefits and features of my CRV and Bmw policy are listed the same. Anyone know if that agent is just lying to me? He said if you always the original glass, you need to pay the difference.
11 replies
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
Palidino wrote: Vehicle is registered in Quebec.
So I need my windshield replace due to a rock. So I called my insurance to file a claim because my deductible is only $250. I selected a bmw certified collision centre to due the repairs. They called me to schedule an appointment because they received my repair request from my insurance. They said the insurance only approved for aftermarket glass. I called my insurance company they said you car doesn’t have original glass policy? I got my Honda CR-V glass replaced in 2019 and it was original Honda glass....
but when I review my policy, all the benefits and features of my CRV and Bmw policy are listed the same. Anyone know if that agent is just lying to me? He said if you always the original glass, you need to pay the difference.
Most insurance companies will allow OE as long as the vehicle is less than two years without any additional coverage. I believe after that, there's an additional cost to your premiums or as they suggested, you could pay the difference.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
2101 posts
799 upvotes
ORLEANS
mer1ion wrote: Most insurance companies will allow OE as long as the vehicle is less than two years without any additional coverage. I believe after that, there's an additional cost to your premiums or as they suggested, you could pay the difference.
that’s a bummer, didn’t know we can’t choose aftermarket or OEM glass after 2 years vehicle age. The CRV is a 2018 replaced glass in late 2019. But the bmw is 2014 and looking to replace glass now. Maybe that is true. So we the customer cannot pick OEM or aftermarket glass? Up to insurance?? I know for collision damage, we can bring to authorized manufacturer collision centre to replace with OEM parts.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
Palidino wrote: that’s a bummer, didn’t know we can’t choose aftermarket or OEM glass after 2 years vehicle age. The CRV is a 2018 replaced glass in late 2019. But the bmw is 2014 and looking to replace glass now. Maybe that is true. So we the customer cannot pick OEM or aftermarket glass? Up to insurance?? I know for collision damage, we can bring to authorized manufacturer collision centre to replace with OEM parts.
For collision damage on a 2014 if you were to ask for OEM, i would bet dollars to donuts that it would be used parts, or new aftermarket.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
2101 posts
799 upvotes
ORLEANS
Swerny wrote: For collision damage on a 2014 if you were to ask for OEM, i would bet dollars to donuts that it would be used parts, or new aftermarket.
The bmw collision centre quoted me $1350+taxes for original Bmw glass. So I assume it would be new. All I have a rain sensing. No HUD or safety features

Edit: didn’t know u were talking about collision damage.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21246 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Palidino wrote: The bmw collision centre quoted me $1350+taxes for original Bmw glass. So I assume it would be new. All I have a rain sensing. No HUD or safety features

Edit: didn’t know u were talking about collision damage.
I bet aftermarket cost is about a 1/3 of that, so no wonder they don't want to go with the rip off BMW repairs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
Palidino wrote: that’s a bummer, didn’t know we can’t choose aftermarket or OEM glass after 2 years vehicle age. The CRV is a 2018 replaced glass in late 2019. But the bmw is 2014 and looking to replace glass now. Maybe that is true. So we the customer cannot pick OEM or aftermarket glass? Up to insurance?? I know for collision damage, we can bring to authorized manufacturer collision centre to replace with OEM parts.
Unfortunately, that's the way it works here with insurance. They pay set rate and we have to accept if we want the work. Price is dictated by them. Only way around it is to either pay out of pocket, pay the difference or add additional coverage. The vehicle being a 2014 is the reason you won't get OE. Shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help you out
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
They can negotiate with the parts. Sometimes OE parts dealer are willing to match aftermarket price to sell a unit. I was always able to get BMW OE glass in BC. Only thing they couldn't match was the rubber seals but aftermarket ones are fine anyways.
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: They can negotiate with the parts. Sometimes OE parts dealer are willing to match aftermarket price to sell a unit. I was always able to get BMW OE glass in BC. Only thing they couldn't match was the rubber seals but aftermarket ones are fine anyways.
They would never do that here in the GTA. Price difference is too big
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Places like speedy glass uses good quality after market glass. It's not a problem. Sometimes OE glass is garbage, depends on which car brand.

For example, Nissan has really garbage glass on their budget models.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
If aftermarket, I will say waive the deductible fee. That's how they offer to me.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3375 posts
6369 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
The biggest factor is your insurance company itself. Some insurance companies have no problem with OEM regardless of age, some will use aftermarket as long as it's available. There doesn't seem to be any sort of concrete cut off date, (Ex, once your car hits 3 years old, we only use aftermarket). From the way it was described to me, insurance sees it as replacing the value of the part. So if a 2013 car got rear ended and the rear bumper got damaged, it won't be replaced with a brand new OEM rear bumper, but instead an aftermarket one, because the 2013 bumper has depreciated to the point that the value is equivalent to a 2020 aftermarket bumper. You can argue that's BS but that's the way it was described to me from insurance perspective. Another thing is new cars might not have aftermarket available, only after a few years, and once aftermarkets are available insurance will use that instead (They only used OEM up to that point because that's all that is available).

A perfect example is when I needed a baby seat replaced after an accident. Wawanesa had no problem with me going to Babies R Us, buying a new one (As long as it was a "reasonable" price), and submitting the receipt for reimbursement. However, I've read on RFD of other insurance companies requiring the owner to find the original receipt for their baby seat, calculate the depreciation, and insurance will pay out the value after depreciation.

There is still some things that I'm looking to clarify maybe tomorrow (Example, 2015 - 2021 civic is the exact same car with minor differences. If a 2021 needed a windshield replacement, would it be OEM despite the generation being out for 6 years)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)