• Aug 29th, 2017 11:23 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 4, 2016
252 posts
74 upvotes

Insurance policy is ending

My insurance policy is ending in October and I am planning to switch companies. My current insurance sent me a letter with the renewal price and the payment plan with the first payment starting in September. I called my broker and asked them if I could cancel it and not get charged for the first month. They told me I couldn't cancel until 2 weeks prior to my renewal and I would get charged and then get a refund upon cancelation.

Is this normal? I just don't want any headaches in having to wait to get my money back when I don't plan to stay with this insurance company.
3 replies
Aug 15, 2017
5 posts
I am an insurance agent, you can cancel your policy at anytime. Just set your cancellation date for the renewal. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Caleb
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38242 posts
24426 upvotes
Center of Universe
Just make sure you're not on auto renewal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9342 posts
1902 upvotes
Ontario
no, you can cancel the policy at any time by signing the cancellation agreement on the actual policy or by requesting a cancellation form from your Broker.
molombian wrote: My insurance policy is ending in October and I am planning to switch companies. My current insurance sent me a letter with the renewal price and the payment plan with the first payment starting in September. I called my broker and asked them if I could cancel it and not get charged for the first month. They told me I couldn't cancel until 2 weeks prior to my renewal and I would get charged and then get a refund upon cancelation.

Is this normal? I just don't want any headaches in having to wait to get my money back when I don't plan to stay with this insurance company.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience