• Jul 22nd, 2015 2:49 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 23, 2010
174 posts
12 upvotes

Insurance renewal, conviction not listed

so i got a minor conviction, plead guilty to lesser charge, so im going to plead ignorance..

But my renewal forms didnt have my new conviction(2 months old)

And i still got the conviction free discount(10% off)

Should i let them know?

What happens if they find out in a month after i paid my premium?

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, call them right now and tell them you got a minor conviction two months ago so that they can remove your 10% conviction-free discount...

Is this a serious question?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2628 posts
515 upvotes
Manitoba
what kind of company is it that sends you renewal forms?
Mine is TD and it is auto renewed ( unless I want to cancel) . I fill no forms.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2194 posts
728 upvotes
Etobicoke
Asker123 wrote: what kind of company is it that sends you renewal forms?
Mine is TD and it is auto renewed ( unless I want to cancel) . I fill no forms.
You dont fill out any forms. They just send you a report and the price you will pay if you don't cancel. It's standard staff.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
Jenuine wrote: Yes, call them right now and tell them you got a minor conviction two months ago so that they can remove your 10% conviction-free discount...

Is this a serious question?
:lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
192 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If you plead guilty, how do you plead ignorance? You realize ignorance is not a defence correct? Plead guilty, and don't try to get out of it as the judge overseeing the matter may not appreciate it. Be honest and he/she may just reduce the fine for you. I have had a couple friends plead guilty and request a lesser fine due to affordability and were successful.

As for your insurance. I don't find anything stating you are required to report your convictions as your insurer is free to review your driving history at any time. Below is some information that may indicate why you didn't notice any increase...

[QUOTE]Your driving record: The premium you pay also depends on your driving record. This includes accidents where you are more than 25 per cent at-fault1, the length of time you have been licensed to drive, whether or not you have taken a driver-training course that your insurance company recognizes, and driving convictions (such as: speeding and impaired or careless driving).

Generally, your first minor conviction will have little or no impact on your rates. But if you have had a second minor conviction in the last three years, it will most likely affect your premium. If you have had accidents where you are more than 25 per cent at-fault over the last six years2, or a number of minor driving convictions or even one major or serious conviction over the last three years, your premium will be higher. Likewise, the better your driving record, the lower your premium will be.

https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... x#nineteen
[/QUOTE]

You are however required to report the conviction should you be looking to get quotes from a new insurer. If you fail to disclose them, they won't be able to give you an accurate quote so that when you purchase insurance they will pull your driving history and could potentially charge you more.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22399 posts
3277 upvotes
lottomax wrote: so i got a minor conviction, plead guilty to lesser charge, so im going to plead ignorance..

Should i let them know?

Thanks
Your contract likely has something forcing you to affirm their records as true upon payment. As it costs money to pull your history, it is not done every year. Read the terms and see what kind of liability you are creating.
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
lottomax wrote: so i got a minor conviction, plead guilty to lesser charge, so im going to plead ignorance..

Should i let them know?

Thanks
Unless there is a specific stipulation in your contract, that requires you to be proactive and let them know before they ask you, it's their problem not yours.
I'm pretty sure they will make the adjustments when or if they find out about it...until then, enjoy your 10% discount.
Mar 16, 2010
169 posts
36 upvotes
Welland, ON
It costs money for insurance companies to pull your driving record every year. This being the case, they only pull the records of a target percentage of those insured every year. You could very well go 3 years without them finding out.
[OP]
Feb 23, 2010
174 posts
12 upvotes
It was a minor conviction
I pled it down to a reduced charge...

So my playing ignorance is that "oops i thought the lesser charge was less than a minor and didnt show up"
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2447 posts
158 upvotes
Brampton
you just won the lottomax bro, be happy
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
Plead ignorance and enjoy the 10% off. Insurance companies scam us far more than that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)