• Feb 21st, 2021 8:22 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1544 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto

Insurance - replacement cost calculation

I'm hoping insurance agents can provide some input on this scenario.
In the process of obtaining a quote for a property, I also run a couple of quotes on neighboring properties to get a comparison, and all of them (5-6 of them) on the street have a smaller replacement cost value (by around 80k), ultimately resulting in lower insurance premiums (by ~300$/year?)
All of these properties on the street were built at the same time and are the same in terms of land, square footage, design, etc. There is nothing unusual about this property (no recent renovations, no additions, no pool)
So how is that the the insurance company thinks that the replacement cost of this property is the highest on the street ?

Could this be because there was a previous claim on the property which is now affecting their internal calculations ?
Could this be because the previous residents insured/declared something extra in the property (I cannot think of anything)
Could this be because this property is most recently sold for the highest $ on the street ? (is the system even aware of this ?)

The CR agent can obviously not answer any of these questions because the system just spits out these numbers...

Thanks
5 replies
Sep 10, 2010
359 posts
69 upvotes
St Catharines
Perhaps the system programmer just bought some 2x4s?
May 23, 2006
936 posts
113 upvotes
Vancouver
Is this for home insurance?

My understanding is replacement cost is something determined by the homeowner (not the insurance company)

You declare the replacement cost to insure against. Then, the underwriter would only insure against UP TO THAT amount.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1544 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Fantastical wrote: Is this for home insurance?

My understanding is replacement cost is something determined by the homeowner (not the insurance company)

You declare the replacement cost to insure against. Then, the underwriter would only insure against UP TO THAT amount.
I believe that is not the case in Ontario, thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5986 posts
1028 upvotes
krypton wrote: I'm hoping insurance agents can provide some input on this scenario.
In the process of obtaining a quote for a property, I also run a couple of quotes on neighboring properties to get a comparison, and all of them (5-6 of them) on the street have a smaller replacement cost value (by around 80k), ultimately resulting in lower insurance premiums (by ~300$/year?)
All of these properties on the street were built at the same time and are the same in terms of land, square footage, design, etc. There is nothing unusual about this property (no recent renovations, no additions, no pool)
So how is that the the insurance company thinks that the replacement cost of this property is the highest on the street ?

Could this be because there was a previous claim on the property which is now affecting their internal calculations ?
Could this be because the previous residents insured/declared something extra in the property (I cannot think of anything)
Could this be because this property is most recently sold for the highest $ on the street ? (is the system even aware of this ?)

The CR agent can obviously not answer any of these questions because the system just spits out these numbers...

Thanks
I'm in the claims side of things not underwriting, but usually RC is a cost per sq foot for the building...plus for any additions like finished basement, upgrades in the house. It should generally be the same but possibly one firm is using an older rate and another a newer rate or their rating departments just have some inaccurate figures
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.