Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto

Insuring smaller dirt bikes

I just bought two smaller (< 150cc) dirt bikes for my teens, understanding that insuring them would be a cinch and cheap. I called my insurance provider (Desjardins) with whom I have cars, snowmobiles, and other things covered and was told that as of ~ April 2020, they will not insure anything less than 151cc. Apparently the situation is similar across the country with a variety of providers.

Has anybody had any recent experience insuring smaller dirt bikes ? If so, any leads would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Ontario.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6395 posts
2574 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you mean insured for road use or for theft? I suspect the person you spoke to probably thought you meant insuring them for road use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
They definitely knew it was a trail bike, which needs minimum liability insurance to go anywhere but your own property. I'd probably insure for theft as well but we didn't even get that far in the discussion. One Desjardins agent I talked to is a sponsor of the Ontario Federation of Trail RIders .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Just talked to TD (after 30 minutes on hold !) and they said they won't insure dirt bike riders who don't have a motorcycle license. I have an M2 but my teens certainly do not. How do kids ride off road now ?
Aug 21, 2020
48 posts
29 upvotes
NuggyBuggy wrote: Just talked to TD (after 30 minutes on hold !) and they said they won't insure dirt bike riders who don't have a motorcycle license. I have an M2 but my teens certainly do not. How do kids ride off road now ?
Insure them under your name. You’ll never use the liability portion of the Insurance, you just need it to get the plate/no ticket
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1685 posts
2052 upvotes
Barrie, ON
suprf1y wrote: I guess you didn’t read that thread?
Nope, just trying to help the OP out.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
suprf1y wrote: Insure them under your name. You’ll never use the liability portion of the Insurance, you just need it to get the plate/no ticket
Can you clarify that? Why you think OP's kids will never need the liability? A couple kids just had a serious accident riding dirt bike around where I live. One died and one was seriously injured. Wouldn't liability cover the medical expenses?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8796 posts
6851 upvotes
Kitchener
NuggyBuggy wrote: Just talked to TD (after 30 minutes on hold !) and they said they won't insure dirt bike riders who don't have a motorcycle license. I have an M2 but my teens certainly do not. How do kids ride off road now ?
Talk to a local farmer and get permission to ride on their land?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1588 posts
729 upvotes
This is a gap that exists in Ontario. There are tons of people driving 100cc dirt bikes and 4 wheelers all over the place. No licences, no Insurance, no plates. The intended use is private. No the highways, not the park, not your neighbours lawn (unless they are dumb enough to do that).
Cool Beans
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8796 posts
6851 upvotes
Kitchener
QTheNukes wrote: This is a gap that exists in Ontario. There are tons of people driving 100cc dirt bikes and 4 wheelers all over the place. No licences, no Insurance, no plates. The intended use is private. No the highways, not the park, not your neighbours lawn (unless they are dumb enough to do that).
Yup, we have a fairly major problem in our subdivision with kids riding dirt bikes around on the city roads and pedestrian trails because they can't be bothered to find an appropriate (and legal) place to ride. They come screaming up the street at all times of day or night. Nothing a $5,000 ticket for each of them (no insurance) can't fix.

20210418_171310.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1588 posts
729 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Yup, we have a fairly major problem in our subdivision with kids riding dirt bikes around on the city roads and pedestrian trails because they can't be bothered to find an appropriate (and legal) place to ride. They come screaming up the street at all times of day or night. Nothing a $5,000 ticket for each of them (no insurance) can't fix.

20210418_171310.jpg
It is a pain to enforce, if under 16 you need to track down the parents who would likely claim they had no idea little ones were doing such things.
Cool Beans
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
QTheNukes wrote: This is a gap that exists in Ontario. There are tons of people driving 100cc dirt bikes and 4 wheelers all over the place. No licences, no Insurance, no plates. The intended use is private. No the highways, not the park, not your neighbours lawn (unless they are dumb enough to do that).
And then there are the people who are trying to be law-abiding citizens, and get the required liability insurance so that we can legally ride on trails. Instead, some will be forced to break the law and ride on those trails illegally - without permits or insurance. I know people do this, an agent even suggested it as an option that "he wouldn't recommend".
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: Talk to a local farmer and get permission to ride on their land?
Thanks, but that would get boring fast. We have 3 acres at our cottage with varied terrain that I considered clearing to make trails but that would get boring even faster ! There are apparently hundreds of kilometres of great trails within a half hour of us but we can't ride there - legally anyways.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2004
1565 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
csi123 wrote: Can you clarify that? Why you think OP's kids will never need the liability? A couple kids just had a serious accident riding dirt bike around where I live. One died and one was seriously injured. Wouldn't liability cover the medical expenses?
Liability won't cover medical expenses for the rider, and in my experience in an accident it's the rider who's going to get hurt the vast majority of the time.

Some of the companies I talked to would offer liability ONLY for these bikes but wouldn't insure anyone without a motorcycle license.
Feb 22, 2006
497 posts
84 upvotes
Just came here solely to give a thumbs up cause fark these thumbs down jelly city mouth breathers who can't into dirt biking >:->
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
NuggyBuggy wrote: Liability won't cover medical expenses for the rider, and in my experience in an accident it's the rider who's going to get hurt the vast majority of the time.
I am certainly no insurance expert but i am always under the impression that in Ontario there is no such thing as "liability only" insurance due to our Ontario Insurance Act. Every single auto insurance product automatically includes the statutory accident benefits, as dictated by the law (see 268 (1)):

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90i08#BK293

When you buy a "liability only" policy in Ontario it really just means it doesn't include comprehensive/collision (i.e. damage to your own vehicle). Medical expenses for the insured person is always included due to the SAB.
Last edited by csi123 on Apr 21st, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
8796 posts
6851 upvotes
Kitchener
NuggyBuggy wrote: Thanks, but that would get boring fast. We have 3 acres at our cottage with varied terrain that I considered clearing to make trails but that would get boring even faster ! There are apparently hundreds of kilometres of great trails within a half hour of us but we can't ride there - legally anyways.
So just load them up into a trailer and drive them there???
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
Rob_EV wrote: So just load them up into a trailer and drive them there???
It isn't about how to get there. To ride legally in those trails you need insurance, even for off-road vehicles.

It's "okay" until someone get hurt. You will be surprised at how inadequate our "universal" healthcare is when you are in an accident.
Last edited by csi123 on Apr 21st, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.