Automotive

Intact Car Insurance with Car App. Input please.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2022 8:35 am
Oct 18, 2013
61 posts
47 upvotes

Intact Car Insurance with Car App. Input please.

Getting new car insurance quote from broker.

Looking for comments on Intact Car Insurance which requires the use of their car app. Has the lowest rate.

Thx.
40 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
What kind of tracking did the Broker mention? All driving trips through out the policy term, or some trips?

IIRC, TD has the option of tracking through a app but you have to enable the app at the start of your trip before they can track. The TD 25% discount needed to record at least 120 days of driving and at over 1000 kms travelled before the discount is applied so you can theoretically activate the tracking for mostly leisurely weekend cruises.

edit: here is the info. The driving history discount is applied on renewal so slightly different from Intact which analyzes your driving for the current policy in effect
https://www.tdinsurance.com/products-se ... -advantage
Jul 25, 2019
29 posts
16 upvotes
You don't need the app with intact. You can opt out. It's a 10% discount for the first 6 months and then up to 25% depending on how well you drive. Ask your broker for the quote without it and compare if you don't want to use it
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
I deal with intact daily. I have several clients with them using the app. after 6 months they re-evaluate your policy and apply the current discount to your policy.
heres the link https://www.intact.ca/on/en/personal-in ... drive.html

maryray wrote: Getting new car insurance quote from broker.

Looking for comments on Intact Car Insurance which requires the use of their car app. Has the lowest rate.

Thx.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3129 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
I'm one of those clients, the app is seamless and runs in the background, I don't even notice it's running to be honest and it saves me some $ so it's all good.
The only thing worse than human ignorance is human pride in that ignorance.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
It is only my opinion but there is no way I would give an insurance company daily access to my driving. I am a careful driver but there are times I speedor go with the flow and I do not want the insurance company to know what my driving stye is.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
night blade wrote: I'm one of those clients, the app is seamless and runs in the background, I don't even notice it's running to be honest and it saves me some $ so it's all good.
Do you start the app when you want certain trips logged or do they log all your driving trips?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
maryray wrote: Does Intact penalize or cancel your insurance if they don't like your driving habits?
They say not but.....why would they want to monitor you???
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3129 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
bubuski wrote: Do you start the app when you want certain trips logged or do they log all your driving trips?
Nope, its always on in the background I dont drive a sports car anymore and I generally go with the flow so Im really not concerned with it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
I've never seen them do it unless they see something crazy to question about
maryray wrote: Does Intact penalize or cancel your insurance if they don't like your driving habits?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Oct 18, 2013
61 posts
47 upvotes
night blade wrote: I'm one of those clients, the app is seamless and runs in the background, I don't even notice it's running to be honest and it saves me some $ so it's all good.
Did you get an additional discount for good driving?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3129 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
maryray wrote: Did you get an additional discount for good driving?
Nope, just a general discount due to using the APP, I wonder if I drove like a Granny would my premium go down? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Dec 19, 2010
327 posts
72 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: It is only my opinion but there is no way I would give an insurance company daily access to my driving. I am a careful driver but there are times I speedor go with the flow and I do not want the insurance company to know what my driving stye is.
I just turn off the phone if I don't feel like driving like a granny.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
CavemanJ wrote: I just turn off the phone if I don't feel like driving like a granny.
And as soon as you turn on your phone, the data stored in MyDrive gets transmitted :)
Dec 19, 2010
327 posts
72 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: And as soon as you turn on your phone, the data stored in MyDrive gets transmitted :)
But how would the app track my driving behaviour if the phone is off? I've been using it for almost a year now and I get the full 30% discount
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
CavemanJ wrote: But how would the app track my driving behaviour if the phone is off? I've been using it for almost a year now and I get the full 30% discount
As I understand it, the device you plug in monitors and stores data. Your phone is required to transmit so, when you turn on your phone,it transmits the data in the device. So, if you always drive with your phone off, you may be OK?
Jul 23, 2018
901 posts
388 upvotes
CavemanJ wrote: But how would the app track my driving behaviour if the phone is off? I've been using it for almost a year now and I get the full 30% discount
Do you need to use the app all the time to keep discounts? Or once you cross 1000 kms you can delete the app and the discount remains? I was told that’s how it was with All State, not sure about Intact.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7085 upvotes
West GTEH!
Pete_Coach wrote: It is only my opinion but there is no way I would give an insurance company daily access to my driving. I am a careful driver but there are times I speedor go with the flow and I do not want the insurance company to know what my driving stye is.
Pete_Coach wrote: They say not but.....why would they want to monitor you???
Agreed. Don't need Big brother watching me while I drive my car. And collecting data. IMO.
😎
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
What information do they look at, and how do they evalutate whether you are a good driver or not? I have never felt comfortable with these tracker options. It seems like it is way too subjective, and my fear has always been that these insurance companies can easily find a reason to jack up your rates from the data. I'm glad it is working for some people. Might look at it as an option in future years.