Automotive

Intact Insurance Horror - HELP!

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2020 3:19 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2017
23 posts
19 upvotes
Gore Bay

Intact Insurance Horror - HELP!

I enrolled with Intact Insurance on 07/10/2019 to insure my cherry 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I got a good deal, $98.00/m. I have no tickets, no accidents, no suspensions and a great credit rating. I also pay my bills on time.

I get my temporary slip via email on the same day. The slip is good for a month.

On 08/08/2019 I get a registered letter telling me my policy will be cancelled unless I make a full payment by 09/09/2019.

A few days later, my full policy arrives with the noted billing date of 07/30/2019. Great. I don't even have the policy for a month and I'm already behind.

Since I didn't know my billing date, the funds were taken out of my chequing account when I didn't have enough.

I then go out of town for a week, then promptly have a heart attack and I'm in hospital for another week.

On 08/29/2019 I call Intact insurance and inquire about the balance owing. I was told the balance but they direct me to pay online using my account.

I made a payment on my credit card. Set it and forget it.

Finally....this past week I noticed my chequing account was not getting charged for insurance. I call Intact. My account was cancelled due to non payment on 09/09/2019.

I look up my credit card statement, payment made on 08/29/2019, payment posted on 08/30/2019.

I call Intact back. The confirmed balance owing is $0.00. They confirmed the payment posted on 08/30/2019. They confirmed the payment was received before 09/09/2019. They confirmed my policy was cancelled due to non payment.

I asked how I could be cancelled for non payment if I made my payment, it was on time, and nothing was outstanding.

They said there is nothing they can do.

I tried to get a new policy with another company and my premiums are now $170/m because I have a "cancelled policy due to non payment" on file and I am now "high risk".

Anyone else had this happen to them? Any way I can fight this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
63 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
3478 posts
2142 upvotes
Edmonton
User921571 wrote:
I call Intact back. The confirmed balance owing is $0.00. They confirmed the payment posted on 08/30/2019. They confirmed the payment was received before 09/09/2019. They confirmed my policy was cancelled due to non payment.
Hmm...what’s missing in this story?

Intact is not a direct writer. Who is your broker? Your broker should be sorting this out.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 14, 2006
8753 posts
1435 upvotes
You got proof payment was made and nothing owing. They should fix up the eff up. I’d demand it but sounds like something is missing in your story?
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2017
23 posts
19 upvotes
Gore Bay
Broker Link is the underwriter. They tried and couldn't get Intact to budge either.

Yes I have proof of payment. They confirmed my payment as well. They confirmed nothing was owing.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2017
23 posts
19 upvotes
Gore Bay
I don't know what else to tell?

I called in August to confirm the amount owing, they gave me the balance. I made the payment, they confirmed they got the payment on time. ??? Profit.

My logic alarm died on this one folks. This is why I was wondering if anyone else had this problem? Or is this an Intact Insurance thing?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6072 posts
4684 upvotes
Talk to CBC or any news channel willing to listen.

Should have set up auto payment from CC at the start if allowed. Less headache. But you should also leave enough funds in you chequing account as well to avoid these issues.

The problem is, the world is now more and more set up for automation and human mistakes are now not tolerated.
Last edited by Xtrema on Dec 2nd, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2017
23 posts
19 upvotes
Gore Bay
Doebird wrote: Sounds like bs to me
Believe what you want. I can hardly believe this myself...
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2017
23 posts
19 upvotes
Gore Bay
Xtrema wrote: Talk to CBC or any news channel willing to listen.

Should have set up auto payment from CC at the start if allowed. Less headache. But you should also leave enough funds in you chequing account as well to avoid these issues.

The problem is, the world is now more and more set up for automation and human mistakes are now not tolerated.
I tweeted at them.

I also emailed my lawyer, waiting for a reply for both.

I wanted auto billing from my credit card, I was told they could only do auto withdrawal from chequing. I didn't even have the policy for a month before they charged me. Yes, when they charged me, I didn't have enough. I own that.

The ironic thing was, they told me to go online and make a payment with......my credit card..... even though they told me they didn't accept credit card payments when I enrolled.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13615 posts
7740 upvotes
Toronto
Call the Office of the Ombudsman at Intact
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Mar 8, 2017
23 posts
19 upvotes
Gore Bay
Swerny wrote: Call the Office of the Ombudsman at Intact
I just emailed the Customer Satisfaction team at Intact Insurance. They are the stage 2 of dispute. If I do not get a reinstatement or the cancelled due to non payment off my record, I will go to stage 3 which is the Ombudsman.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14434 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear about your situation but at least you are alive and doing much better. If you have proof as you indicate and there was no reason for cancellation, just keep hounding them until a resolution.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2709 posts
1994 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: Call the Office of the Ombudsman at Intact
Was coming in to post just this.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1066 posts
407 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Wait wait wait - there is more to this story (hint, OP made a boo boo).


I bet a million bucks this is what happened:


Intact sent the OP a registered letter confirming the policy will be cancelled for non-payment unless they receive the full yearly amount.

Since, at that time, Intact literally never received a dime from the client, on that same registered letter, they also let him know how much he/she owes for time on risk (July 12 2019 until Sept 9 2019).


OP goes ahead and makes the payment for the Time on Risk (not the full yearly balance to avoid the cancellation for non-payment).

So yeah, when OP called on Aug 30 to confirm they received payment and no balance was owing, Intact was correct in confirming the balance was $0 (but that does not change the fact OP is still getting cancelled for Non-Payment!!!)


Long story short - OP f'd up - he/she did not read the Registered Letter close enough.

Intact did nothing wrong.

Don't believe me - OP - Post a copy of your registered letter (of course, mark/scratch out any personal information).



OP - own up to your mistake (your broker sucks by the way for not holding your hand and helping you avoid the non-payment - but legally - they did nothing wrong).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
14567 posts
3643 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Post your registered letter and your payment history with your personal info redacted and let's see what it says. I used to handle these on a daily basis and the amount of customers that paid off only the time on risk and not the reinstatement amount was pretty significant.
Member
Oct 15, 2017
426 posts
297 upvotes
Canada
So if the OP had enough funds to cover the monthly payment ($98) at the end of July, he/she probably wouldn't be in this predicament? That hurts. Something to be said for having overdraft for times like that.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5011 posts
3551 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
dsweetlou wrote: So if the OP had enough funds to cover the monthly payment ($98) at the end of July, he/she probably wouldn't be in this predicament? That hurts. Something to be said for having overdraft for times like that.
Not just that, also having adequate disability, critical illness and life insurance helps as well but I can bet a majority of people do not have either coverages. Low income families always complain they can't afford the premiums, but it's precisely these people who need the coverage the most since they often have less savings or living paycheck to paycheck.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 9, 2003
24739 posts
1874 upvotes
Markham, ON
so the question is...did OP pay in full.

right?
Member
Apr 23, 2006
216 posts
22 upvotes
Scarborough
I'll second this...
RobertSmalls008 wrote: Wait wait wait - there is more to this story (hint, OP made a boo boo).


I bet a million bucks this is what happened:


Intact sent the OP a registered letter confirming the policy will be cancelled for non-payment unless they receive the full yearly amount.

Since, at that time, Intact literally never received a dime from the client, on that same registered letter, they also let him know how much he/she owes for time on risk (July 12 2019 until Sept 9 2019).


OP goes ahead and makes the payment for the Time on Risk (not the full yearly balance to avoid the cancellation for non-payment).

So yeah, when OP called on Aug 30 to confirm they received payment and no balance was owing, Intact was correct in confirming the balance was $0 (but that does not change the fact OP is still getting cancelled for Non-Payment!!!)


Long story short - OP f'd up - he/she did not read the Registered Letter close enough.

Intact did nothing wrong.

Don't believe me - OP - Post a copy of your registered letter (of course, mark/scratch out any personal information).



OP - own up to your mistake (your broker sucks by the way for not holding your hand and helping you avoid the non-payment - but legally - they did nothing wrong).

Top