Real Estate

Are integrated (kitchen) appliances a yay or nay?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 9:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9410 posts
1403 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Are integrated (kitchen) appliances a yay or nay?

As title says, are integrated appliances considered a pro/con or neutral? I'm talking in terms of owning.

I was looking at a place last weekend and I really loved the kitchen with all the appliances hidden/integrated into the cabinets but then I got to thinking if it was indeed as good as it seemed. I made a quick list of pros & cons but I defer to RFD if there's any insights based on past experiences or whatnot

Pros:
- Looks good (subjective, but IMO it does)
- More efficient use of space

Cons:
- Since it might be custom work, maintenance/replacement might be a pain later on
- You don't get to "pick your own" appliance (if you have a preference for a specific model from a specific brand)

But yeah what do you guys think? If you were given the choice, would you prefer one or the other?
Last edited by uber_shnitz on Feb 19th, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4111 posts
3614 upvotes
We saw a place last week with integrated appliances and I really like it also. The obvious pro is that it looks great depending on the design of the kitchen. Besides the higher cost - you need to buy panels for the appliances - one other con I can think of is cleaning. Metal appliances are much more durable than wood clad appliances. Don't know how practical it would be with day to day use, especially if that use is heavy use.
Nov 8, 2006
864 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
This definitely looks great, and can have a minimalist look to your kitchen.

The con is the cost....everything is custom made or specialty brand. So, be prepared to pay at least 2x more
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3747 posts
3253 upvotes
Looking for a place for what? Rent or buy?

In any case, do you really have a choice if it's already "integrated"?

Also, you can bundle appliances with your mortgage which is why I think most places are being sold with them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9410 posts
1403 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Sorry I should've specified: for buying purposes.

I don't have photos of the exact place I visited, but basically I'm referring to this type of integration:

vs the more traditional look where all appliances are standalone:

I guess I'm asking if the potential higher cost of repair/replacement would deter you from a place with this type of kitchen? Or if there's any other pro/con I've missed in my basic list.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3747 posts
3253 upvotes
Looks great and yolo

I wish I had kitchen like that.

Although I am not a big fan of built in furniture fridge. I find it a bit tacky and doors are sometimes a pain to open.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9037 posts
10357 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Love the look since everything is integrated an steeamlined. Your pros and cons are bang on.

But I found you get dinged 1) by the cabinet maker and 2) panel ready appliances are crazy expensive. The real nuisance is down the road say 10 years if the appliance needs to be replaced... many cases the cabinet panel won’t fix the new one. So either you have to get new panels made for the new units or convert to standard or repair the existing.

Like you mentioned the panel ready appliances are slim pickings so then you have to choose from a very limited universe. Usually they are higher end with the latest features but still no guarantee.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
3028 posts
898 upvotes
I am in process of re-doing my kitchen and of course, I had my eyes on your 1st pick, OP with wall ovens and what not. Found out that to go to that route, I need to relay my electrical outlet (as I don't sufficient ampere to both function wall oven and my cook top at the same time) Additionally, with limited space of my kitchen I can't do Ikea DIY kitchen cabinet. Custom cabinet came out almost twice as expensive than the Ikea one because they will include the installation as well (self-installation not an option)

I ended up going with 2nd pick of yours OP, traditional look. Not sure if I would get a chance to upload my kitchen once it's done but it will look pretty much like your 2nd pick. (Range and chimney hood look very similar with mine except mine is induction range with flex duo oven)
Jul 21, 2013
39 posts
12 upvotes
Vaughan
I have integrated because it came with the house... but personally I hate the look. A fridge with a big wooden panel that looks like a doorway. A regular stainless steel fridge gives the kitchen a much warmer, cozier, homier look. My kitchen looks like a library or just a room with lots of cabinets.
The other thing is that the fridge panels don't really 'look' like the rest of the kitchen. I mean they do, but the bigger gap between where the fridge doors are just 'shows'. All the other cabinets are flushed on the gap, this one has a noticeable gap. Looks out of place and triggers my OCD.
The other con, replacing the same fridge will probably cost me about 5,000 if not more. And it's a small fridge without any fancy bells and whistles. You can get a much better unit for that price. Overall big no no from an integrated fridge owner.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14600 posts
10842 upvotes
You have to think about resale value. I think a home with sleek, built in appliances is more appealing than the slide ins unless they are restaurant grade.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14600 posts
10842 upvotes
Droidified wrote: I have integrated because it came with the house... but personally I hate the look. A fridge with a big wooden panel that looks like a doorway. A regular stainless steel fridge gives the kitchen a much warmer, cozier, homier look. My kitchen looks like a library or just a room with lots of cabinets.
The other thing is that the fridge panels don't really 'look' like the rest of the kitchen. I mean they do, but the bigger gap between where the fridge doors are just 'shows'. All the other cabinets are flushed on the gap, this one has a noticeable gap. Looks out of place and triggers my OCD.
The other con, replacing the same fridge will probably cost me about 5,000 if not more. And it's a small fridge without any fancy bells and whistles. You can get a much better unit for that price. Overall big no no from an integrated fridge owner.
Good point. I'd rather get the slide in high end range and the similar fridge than have everything paneled up.

My previous condo had that setup. Fridge was a regular slide in but dishwasher had the paneling to match the rest of the kitchen.

I'd rather a kitchen like this:
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1904 posts
929 upvotes
If the whole unit totals less than 650 sqft, built in appliances really help make the place look bigger, or at least less cluttered. When the kitchen and the living room is essentially the same room, grey panels covering appliances help make the kitchen feel like part of the living room. One rule of thumb: if your place cost more than $600/sqft, consider built-in appliances.

Where I live, I see no point in such appliances. These specialty appliances cost a fortune, and I can't justify their cost given the relatively cheap space in suburb Ottawa. My kitchen cabinets are white, and my appliances are white or stainless steel. They don't look that great, but it's the kitchen. I have the rest of the main floor when I'm not cooking in the kitchen.
May 15, 2015
223 posts
64 upvotes
North York, ON
I would view the integrated look as a negative in the Canadian market. Units and houses have much bigger space here so I'd rather not deal with the headache of replacing the appliances. Also as the other poster mentioned, once you have a certain amount of cabinets and counter space, hiding the appliances behind cabiney facade makes the space so bland.

In really tight spaces like in Hong Kong, that's when I would consider integration to avoid too many different looking elements within a confined space.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10116 posts
1537 upvotes
I have no real interest in integrated appliances.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7398 posts
4667 upvotes
Victoria, BC
For me this would be a huge turn off. I want to be able to replace my appliances in the normal way, not having something that will cost me a fortune. Plus, I don't really care for the hidden appliance look in a kitchen.
Nov 8, 2006
864 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
I've been to a house with these
PANO_20140427_142630.jpg
Sorry, its supposed to be movable