Investing

Interactive Brokers is so good, why anyone still bothers to use bank’s trading platform?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 4:50 pm

Poll: Which trading platform do you prefer?

• Total votes: 45. You have voted on this poll.
IB

22%
Questrade

29%
RBC

9%
CIBC

9%
Scotiabank

7%
BMO

9%
Others

16%

Poll ended at Nov 23rd, 2018 6:56 pm

[OP]
Jul 31, 2018
40 posts
26 upvotes

Interactive Brokers is so good, why anyone still bothers to use bank’s trading platform?

I switched from RBC DirectInvestment to Questrade, and recently switched again to IB. The only reason that I didn’t switch to IB sooner is that I never heard them before. When I was searching the lowest commission brokers in Canada (supporting TFSA of course), the best result I got was Questrade. Based on my experience, my average cost on Questrade is about 3% (I trade both equities and options). The primary hidden cost of Questrade is the currency conversion fee. It’s extremely hard to figure out the exact amount of conversion fee incurred as the currency value is so subtle and volatile. After switching to IB, I’m amazed by the fact that they treat FX transactions as part of your trading activities. They allow you to set your own price, just like trading every other assets. In general, IB has the following benefits over Questrade:

1) extremely low commissions. The minimum is $1, unlike $5 with Questrade. Option trading is also very cheap, especially they don’t charge option assignment fee. This means you can hold your options till expiration without worrying about the ding of $25 assignment fee per contract charged by Questrade.
2) low margin rate. They also have a “return enhancement” program you can opt in to lend out your stocks to short sellers, which gives you additional yield boost.
3) complex yet informative trading information.

There are also some downsides of IB. But to me they are negligible:

1) $10 per month account maintenance fee if account balance less than 100k, waivable if your trading cost is greater than $10. You don’t need to worry about this if you place at least two orders per month (or one order if you’re switching from RBC)
2) customer service is lacking. They feel somewhat cold when you call in, like they don’t care about your business. But I guess I can put up with this as There’s really no need to call in. Their Website and app functions are quite comprehensive.
3) no instant deposit method. Unlike Questrade which supports Interac, or RBC DI which you transfer funds directly from your checking account, the fastest way to deposit with IB takes 2-3 business days. If you are small traders who trade with their monthly salary like me, you will find this matters as Sometimes you probably will miss the best buying chances.

All in all, after switching to IB, I won’t look back.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3371 posts
1128 upvotes
Quebec
IB is absolutely amazing for experienced active trader... Not so much for beginners with small amount of money. Fees can add up fast so make beginners lost their money in no time while learning.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1759 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My husband’s and mine accounts are at Questrade, moved there from TD DI and are quite satisfied (mostly buying ETFs) But when I started looking at options trading last year, I quickly came to conclusion that if I ever get serious about it - will need to open an IB account. Thank you for confirming that! :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1487 upvotes
I use IB for most of my investing, but I keep my RRSP in my TDDI account...can't avoid the IB fees for RRSP if I were to move them there.

I'm a few years' noob, and you sound much more experienced than I am. You seem to know exactly what you like, and I don't use most of the features offered by IB. Where do you get your research, if any? I also like accessing TDDI's resources.
Jan 6, 2015
253 posts
27 upvotes
freilona wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 8:12 pm
My husband’s and mine accounts are at Questrade, moved there from TD DI and are quite satisfied (mostly buying ETFs) But when I started looking at options trading last year, I quickly came to conclusion that if I ever get serious about it - will need to open an IB account. Thank you for confirming that! :)
hoping more information about Questrade for trade stocks, CIBC sucks, I need to switch. They have ECN fee, no clue at all. No options needed for now.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2014
1759 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto, ON
reps001 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:53 pm
hoping more information about Questrade for trade stocks, CIBC sucks, I need to switch. They have ECN fee, no clue at all. No options needed for now.
Unless you trade penny stocks, it’s easy to avoid ECN fees at Questrade: 1) place Limit orders only, 2) Buy orders at Bid price or below and Sell orders at Ask price or above, 3) trade in multiple of 100 shares :)

That’s a practical “tried and true” explanation of what’s written on their website:
ECN Fees (removing liquidity)

ECN fees are only charged when a buy or sell order removes liquidity, meaning it's likely to be filled immediately. This includes all market orders, where the investor accepts the price without specifying a minimum or maximum.

Non-marketable orders

You may also be charged an ECN fee if you trade a “non-marketable order,” which is a technical term for any order not in a multiple of 100 shares. If you put in an order to buy or sell 50 shares, this type of order is a non-marketable order and will be charged an ECN fee. An order of 100, 200, 300, etc. shares is a standard lot (also known as a board lot) and a “marketable order,” and will not inherently be charged with an ECN fee.
https://www.questrade.com/pricing/self- ... ransaction

But for regular orders of less than 1,000 shares, there’s too much fuss over a few pennies.. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3371 posts
1128 upvotes
Quebec
I hope the up coming wealth simple trade is going to change the broker market.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
1907 posts
537 upvotes
cheapest margin
pays good amount for cash compared to other investment accounts
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1634 posts
580 upvotes
I use IB for everything except RESPs and RRSPs.

I have mix of IB, QT, VB, TD and CIBC also in our family. But most of our assets are in IB.

An example - IB charges in cents per contract for US options . Yesterday, bought 5 contracts of 3M options and paid 58 cents per contract. You can imagine what other brokers would charge for this.

A minimum of $9 per contract is a norm. And there is also an assignment fee of $24 with QT for example.

At IB, if you get assigned, there is a zero fee.

What’s not to like?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1870 posts
718 upvotes
GTA
ruchir wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:46 am
I use IB for everything except RESPs and RRSPs.

I have mix of IB, QT, VB, TD and CIBC also in our family. But most of our assets are in IB.

An example - IB charges in cents per contract for US options . Yesterday, bought 5 contracts of 3M options and paid 58 cents per contract. You can imagine what other brokers would charge for this.

A minimum of $9 per contract is a norm. And there is also an assignment fee of $24 with QT for example.

At IB, if you get assigned, there is a zero fee.

What’s not to like?
@ruchir, thanks for posting that.

what a start to some sound weekend advice.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2009
1634 posts
580 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 8:19 am
@ruchir, thanks for posting that.

what a start to some sound weekend advice.
Hardly any advice from me! The OP has already figured it out. Just confirming for the fence sitters that I am a happy customer.
May 7, 2017
538 posts
229 upvotes
IB is a brokerage geared towards professional traders or large portfolios. If you can’t work with them, move out. They keep themselves profitable by catering to the specific clientele.

Bank brokerages are full service brokerages. Their fees are high because they keep customer service and support staff to cater to people who well at times can’t trade on their own or they need someone to take care of their investments. Hence the high commissions and fees.

Besides if you hold your portfolio with a bank, you get benefits from it too (hsbc premier).

There are no one-fits-all solution in the world. So it’s alright to look for other brokers.

PS: I am a happy IB customer too and I also trade enough that IB fees don’t matter as much to me. I wasn’t happy with TD and Hsbc invest direct.
Nov 18, 2008
191 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
yughred wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 6:56 pm
I switched from RBC DirectInvestment to Questrade, and recently switched again to IB. The only reason that I didn’t switch to IB sooner is that I never heard them before. When I was searching the lowest commission brokers in Canada (supporting TFSA of course), the best result I got was Questrade. Based on my experience, my average cost on Questrade is about 3% (I trade both equities and options). The primary hidden cost of Questrade is the currency conversion fee. It’s extremely hard to figure out the exact amount of conversion fee incurred as the currency value is so subtle and volatile. After switching to IB, I’m amazed by the fact that they treat FX transactions as part of your trading activities. They allow you to set your own price, just like trading every other assets. In general, IB has the following benefits over Questrade:

1) extremely low commissions. The minimum is $1, unlike $5 with Questrade. Option trading is also very cheap, especially they don’t charge option assignment fee. This means you can hold your options till expiration without worrying about the ding of $25 assignment fee per contract charged by Questrade.
2) low margin rate. They also have a “return enhancement” program you can opt in to lend out your stocks to short sellers, which gives you additional yield boost.
3) complex yet informative trading information.

There are also some downsides of IB. But to me they are negligible:

1) $10 per month account maintenance fee if account balance less than 100k, waivable if your trading cost is greater than $10. You don’t need to worry about this if you place at least two orders per month (or one order if you’re switching from RBC)
2) customer service is lacking. They feel somewhat cold when you call in, like they don’t care about your business. But I guess I can put up with this as There’s really no need to call in. Their Website and app functions are quite comprehensive.
3) no instant deposit method. Unlike Questrade which supports Interac, or RBC DI which you transfer funds directly from your checking account, the fastest way to deposit with IB takes 2-3 business days. If you are small traders who trade with their monthly salary like me, you will find this matters as Sometimes you probably will miss the best buying chances.

All in all, after switching to IB, I won’t look back.
Want to do some read up, is this the site: https://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/home.php
Nov 10, 2018
25 posts
20 upvotes
For the IB users here - in what instrument(s) (ie. HISA fund, money market ETF, etc) do you park your extra cash?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4662 posts
802 upvotes
Montreal
NinoSavatte wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 7:56 am
For the IB users here - in what instrument(s) (ie. HISA fund, money market ETF, etc) do you park your extra cash?
https://financefeeds.com/interactive-br ... obile-app/

I try to stay invested in quality companies paying dividends and simply my tax reporting as much as possible so I never bothered with any HISA unless it's a registered account. IB is still a no brainer for any non reg accounts IMHO.