Interest only mortgage deferral

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2020 4:51 pm
Dec 26, 2015
880 posts
735 upvotes
Manitoba

Interest only mortgage deferral

So I was talking to my bank's mortgage advisor about options with regards to possible mortgage deferrals as my income has taken a hit.

They suggested since I don't feel like I need a full mortgage deferral that I could do a interest only payment for a couple of months to help ease the burden of current ongoings.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I understand I still owe the money and will either lump-sum once my work hours return to normal or I'll adjust future payments to make up the difference. And I'm also aware it'll increase the total cost of my mortgage because of carrying over these payments.

Just wondering if there are any other drawbacks I should look for?
3 replies
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
376 upvotes
If you need money to put food on the table and pay bills so your water, electricity and heat doesn't get turned off...the obvious choice is to defer your mortgage payments.

Do a 3 month budget and see how much you're short by and then make an educated decision afterwards.
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2546 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
If you can afford to make interest only payments, go for it. From what I've heard, if you defer the entire payment, you end up paying interest on the deferred interest.
Apr 5, 2017
117 posts
124 upvotes
I had a chat with a person at TD. They only defer the principal portion of the mortgage. You'll still pay the interest portion every month.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)