• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 5:12 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2307 posts
941 upvotes

Interlocking stone work for patio

My wife wants to do Interlocking stones work for patio and steps in our backyard. Could anybody recommend some decent and not too pricey contactor?
Lift lockdowns! Let people live!
27 replies
Mar 14, 2018
499 posts
509 upvotes
I went with Avanti Landscaping. They were not cheap but did a superb job in a timely manner.
Feb 24, 2018
91 posts
23 upvotes
@clutch31 we are thinking of open a door con second floor with a stair to walk down to backyard like this. Do you think we need permit ? and Avanti Landscaping will process the permit for us ? we are in Vaughan.

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
dongta wrote: @clutch31 we are thinking of open a door con second floor with a stair to walk down to backyard like this. Do you think we need permit ?
Deck is more than 2 feet off the ground - permit required.

New door opening in the house - permit required.

Maybe some other stuff that requires it as well, but safe to assume a permit is required.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2307 posts
941 upvotes
My wife just wants stones at half of backyard (only convinced her not to do anything on par of backyard where I have greenhouse) + new steps on backyard and frontyard. Don't think we ned any permit, but company I contacted wants to charge 14K for it :(
Mar 14, 2018
499 posts
509 upvotes
dongta wrote: @clutch31 we are thinking of open a door con second floor with a stair to walk down to backyard like this. Do you think we need permit ? and Avanti Landscaping will process the permit for us ? we are in Vaughan.

I only did stones and sod with them. Better ask them directly.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17848 posts
15296 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: Image
Avoid this in the future …
Just go ahead and add some sort of location to your RFD Profile
Be it Vaughn - GTA - Southern Ontario
It will help you whenever you use the RFD FORUMS
Cuz no wasted back & forths
And the MILLIONS of RFDers from across Canada will always understand your perspective when you post
Smiling Face With Sunglasses

PS … Agree with the others
Interlock doesn’t usually require a Permit
But a deck attached to your house does
Or one built off the ground
Same if you modify or add a window or doorway
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13224 posts
10110 upvotes
GTA, ON
gibor365365 wrote: My wife just wants stones at half of backyard (only convinced her not to do anything on par of backyard where I have greenhouse) + new steps on backyard and frontyard. Don't think we ned any permit, but company I contacted wants to charge 14K for it :(
Depends on the type of work being done, sqft, type of stone, labour involved. Hard to say.

I'm getting quotes right now for both my driveway and backyard. Quotes are all over, but for the backyard, I was quoted anywhere between $8500 to $11000 depending on whether I want a retaining wall put in and other work done at the same time versus just a general installation of patio slabs.

The driveway quotes are roughly all the same (within a couple hundred dollars.)

So without knowing the details of your backyard and size, hard to know whether it's in the correct ballpark. How many quotes / estimates / contractors do you have? If they're all within the $14k range, then I'd say it is what it is.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9130 posts
798 upvotes
I heard quotes from $9/sq ft to someone told me $30+/sq ft. Believe or not, lot of people don't even know how much per square they are being charged and/or the square footage of their job. In most cases, those are the ones usually over pay the job.

Anyway, I think $15/sq ft would be fair price
chimaican wrote: Depends on the type of work being done, sqft, type of stone, labour involved. Hard to say.

I'm getting quotes right now for both my driveway and backyard. Quotes are all over, but for the backyard, I was quoted anywhere between $8500 to $11000 depending on whether I want a retaining wall put in and other work done at the same time versus just a general installation of patio slabs.

So without knowing the details of your backyard and size, hard to know whether it's in the correct ballpark. How many quotes / estimates / contractors do you have? If they're all within the $14k range, then I'd say it is what it is.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13224 posts
10110 upvotes
GTA, ON
rdx wrote: I heard quotes from $9/sq ft to someone told me $30+/sq ft. Believe or not, lot of people don't even know how much per square they are being charged and/or the square footage of their job. In most cases, those are the ones usually over pay the job.

Anyway, I think $15/sq ft would be fair price
My quotes are around $15/sqft (80mm pavers) for the driveway. The backyard I'm not sure of because I haven't decided what I'm doing yet, but both contractors said it would cost more.
Tis banana is IRIE

Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9130 posts
798 upvotes
chimaican wrote: My quotes are around $15/sqft (80mm pavers) for the driveway. The backyard I'm not sure of because I haven't decided what I'm doing yet, but both contractors said it would cost more.
$15/sq ft for 80mm stone sounds fair. They do not need 80mm for backyard, but the cost for 80mm or thinner stone does not have much material cost difference. I guess they say it costs more for backyard probably because of retaining wall (if needed) and the steps from the patio door.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13224 posts
10110 upvotes
GTA, ON
rdx wrote: $15/sq ft for 80mm stone sounds fair. They do not need 80mm for backyard, but the cost for 80mm or thinner stone does not have much material cost difference. I guess they say it costs more for backyard probably because of retaining wall (if needed) and the steps from the patio door.
Based on my quotes (backyard), it looks like anywhere between $20/sqft for thinner patio stones to as high as $28/sqft for them to put in a retaining wall. There would be no steps, but both said they'd have to prop up the existing builder grade deck there to do the stone work. Approx 400sqft in the back. It sounds pricey but since I personally don't have enough expertise, don't know whether the quote is fair or not. One guy recommends the retaining wall because the grading drops off on the side of house. But both had basically the same overall quote (non wall)

I'm going to get one more quote and if that guy comes back with similar numbers, I guess it is what it is?
Tis banana is IRIE

[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2307 posts
941 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Depends on the type of work being done, sqft, type of stone, labour involved. Hard to say.

I contacted a dozen of contractors via Homestars. Everyone except two declined right away. one came and said that they won't be able to bring their machine to our back yard as passaway is too narrow and also decline.
One contractor gave quote ....
- Back Interlocking Patio $8,100.00
Includes labour (excavation, disposal, base preparation, aggregates, stone installation, brick stops,
spikes and polymeric sand) and pavers (Best Way Stone Trevista or analogs). - more than $30 per sq feet
- Front Interlocking Landing $1,050.00
-Back/Front Steps (Blocks/copings) $2,160.00
Includes labour and material (Ortana blocks/copings)
- Demolition And Disposal Fee $750.00

Total with taxes is close to 14K

The problem that I cannot even compare as cannot find other contractors :(
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 27, 2015
2307 posts
941 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Based on my quotes (backyard), it looks like anywhere between $20/sqft for thinner patio stones to as high as $28/sqft for them to put in a retaining wall. There would be no steps, but both said they'd have to prop up the existing builder grade deck there to do the stone work. Approx 400sqft in the back. It sounds pricey but since I personally don't have enough expertise, don't know whether the quote is fair or not. One guy recommends the retaining wall because the grading drops off on the side of house. But both had basically the same overall quote (non wall)

I'm going to get one more quote and if that guy comes back with similar numbers, I guess it is what it is?
I also personally don't have enough expertise, don't know whether the quote is fair or not. I'd assume that because guys should do manual work (their machines wouldn't be able to get to backyard) , they charge more per feet?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9130 posts
798 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Based on my quotes (backyard), it looks like anywhere between $20/sqft for thinner patio stones to as high as $28/sqft for them to put in a retaining wall. There would be no steps, but both said they'd have to prop up the existing builder grade deck there to do the stone work. Approx 400sqft in the back. It sounds pricey but since I personally don't have enough expertise, don't know whether the quote is fair or not. One guy recommends the retaining wall because the grading drops off on the side of house. But both had basically the same overall quote (non wall)

The situation and grading could be different for different backyard. I don't have experience with retaining wall as my backyard does not require retaining wall. But I heard retaining walls can be expensive.

I think most interlocking stone laying contractors are busier and doing better business during COVID. It would be hard to negotiate price with them, and most of them probably have raised their prices due to demand. I am surprised you can even find a good ones now while most probably booked their appointment before this season started.

Before COVID, I was able to find contractors to do a basic job with the BWS stones for $10/sq ft or less. I doubt anyone can still find anyone who charges under $10/sq ft now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9130 posts
798 upvotes
dongta wrote: @clutch31 we are thinking of open a door con second floor with a stair to walk down to backyard like this. Do you think we need permit ? and Avanti Landscaping will process the permit for us ? we are in Vaughan.

Pretty sure structure like this will require a permit.
Feb 24, 2018
91 posts
23 upvotes
thanks all.. We need the permit for sure, just wonder they will process it for us we we have to do it on our own... anyway, they are coming this Friday.. I will ask and get the quote
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13224 posts
10110 upvotes
GTA, ON
rdx wrote: Before COVID, I was able to find contractors to do a basic job with the BWS stones for $10/sq ft or less. I doubt anyone can still find anyone who charges under $10/sq ft now.
I did find one Chinese contractor who quoted like $11/sqft, but TBH, thought his work looked okay but I feel that the overall workmanship might not be there, so he kind of off my list. I park my car on the driveway so I want to make sure nothing sinks. I see all these driveways around my area done by these quick turn around companies and after 2yrs the pavers look uneven.

And yes, I suppose the backyard would be more manual intensive labour.
Tis banana is IRIE