Automotive

Intermediate exhaust pipe rusted through- what should I expect at the muffler shop?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 11:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1163 posts
1701 upvotes
Hamilton

Intermediate exhaust pipe rusted through- what should I expect at the muffler shop?

Excuse my ignorance, I don’t have much background in automotive repair! My exhaust pipe exiting my 2007 Honda Fit’s catalytic converter rusted through - I’m planning on swinging by a muffler shop this week to have them have a look, but given this was basically my beater car for university (I graduated 4 years ago!), it would be nice to have an understanding of what this would likely cost to replace given the age of the vehicle.

I’ll be needing new(er?) winter tires this winter, the car’s driver side lock has failed (with the passenger probably on the way out), and there is obviously some growing frame rust, so I’m sure you can all appreciate the economic triage I’m doing! I’m actually a little embarrassed with the state of the vehicle, but with on street downtown parking, beyond changing a battery or an air filter, there wasn’t much I could do for the poor thing.

I’ve included a bonus picture of my temporary redneck engineering fibreglass fix for your laughs!
031D91F2-8358-44B5-89F9-DA3EA9FD961F.jpeg
9B0B557E-8637-4114-9B85-86749D13BE29.jpeg
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1070 posts
825 upvotes
Toronto
Your fix is RFD approved...Only if you bought that roll on sale.

I recently had the same thing happen. Exhaust pipe rusted and broke off just after the resonator. How does the other end look? On my car, it looked good with no damage up to and including the muffler. I brought it to a muffler shop. They cut off the rusted piece of pipe, put on a small connecting pipe with clamps on both sides and some sealant. It was the cheapest fix available @ $75. Your pipe looks much rustier than mine. Does it have holes or cracks? If the entire pipe needs replacing, I am guessing $150-250+tax as a ballpark?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2594 posts
1498 upvotes
Ontario
Easiest way to fix that would be to weld a short sleeve on the stub left and the pipe, but depending how thick it is it may not last long esp of that ct is thin on the backside.
Most shops would probably have you replace the cat with an aftermarket one and possibly the pipe too if its thin from rust.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15103 upvotes
Expect the muffler shop to either weld the existing pipe or weld a new piece of pipe, charge you some bucks, and you be one your way with your beater Fit. Don't think there's too much fanfare to be had here. If it can't be welded, sleeved, etc. there because too short a pipe left out of the converter, then maybe you'll have to get another one...might want to look on kijiji after that as probably isn't worth it to spend a lot of money here.

Usually I'd say it's probably time for a newer and nicer car. But, if you're parking downtown on the street then might as well just keep driving same beater until the wheels fall off lol. Once you move into a house with a driveway or garage (or condo with garage parking) or just come to your senses and move out of downtown, consider buying a nicer car then. Maybe even keep this thing as winter beater after that...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7821 posts
6296 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: Expect the muffler shop to either weld the existing pipe or weld a new piece of pipe, charge you some bucks, and you be one your way with your beater Fit. Don't think there's too much fanfare to be had here. If it can't be welded, sleeved, etc. there because too short a pipe left out of the converter, then maybe you'll have to get another one...might want to look on kijiji after that as probably isn't worth it to spend a lot of money here.

Usually I'd say it's probably time for a newer and nicer car. But, if you're parking downtown on the street then might as well just keep driving same beater until the wheels fall off lol. Once you move into a house with a driveway or garage (or condo with garage parking) or just come to your senses and move out of downtown, consider buying a nicer car then. Maybe even keep this thing as winter beater after that...
Can't add much if anything to this response. Pretty much covers it.

If you don't need a new cat, this repair alone should not be a factor in your keep/dump considerations. The car isn't worth much anyway but the costs of the items you cite are well below what you would have to pay to buy a replacement.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
ownthesky wrote: Excuse my ignorance, I don’t have much background in automotive repair! My exhaust pipe exiting my 2007 Honda Fit’s catalytic converter rusted through - I’m planning on swinging by a muffler shop this week to have them have a look, but given this was basically my beater car for university (I graduated 4 years ago!), it would be nice to have an understanding of what this would likely cost to replace given the age of the vehicle.

I’ll be needing new(er?) winter tires this winter, the car’s driver side lock has failed (with the passenger probably on the way out), and there is obviously some growing frame rust, so I’m sure you can all appreciate the economic triage I’m doing! I’m actually a little embarrassed with the state of the vehicle, but with on street downtown parking, beyond changing a battery or an air filter, there wasn’t much I could do for the poor thing.

I’ve included a bonus picture of my temporary redneck engineering fibreglass fix for your laughs!

031D91F2-8358-44B5-89F9-DA3EA9FD961F.jpeg
9B0B557E-8637-4114-9B85-86749D13BE29.jpeg
Option 1 Exhaust Shop
They will likely to remove a section of the aluminized pipe and weld in a new one. That would probably cost you $200.

Option 2 DIY with a friend
Find a friend who has a SMAW or FCAW machine. Buy some aluminized pipe from Canadian Tire / PartSource for $20. Get it done in 30 min in your garage. You might get burnt a few times.

Option 3 DIY with your own welding machine
Go buy a SMAW or FCAW machine + accessories for $300-500 on sale. Learn to do it yourself.
Feb 15, 2018
18 posts
4 upvotes
I've been known to wrap a tin can around the joint and fasten it in place with a couple of stainless hose clamps. Don't try an aluminum can, it'll burn through quickly. The old Foster's Lager steel cans were great.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1045 posts
1455 upvotes
Toronto
Keep the ride. Cars are extremely overpriced right now. New or used.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1163 posts
1701 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks for all the advice friends. Took it in to Zoro Muffler in Hamilton, they ended up needing to do a flange repair on the converter and the muffler was half-shot with a few rusty holes. It came out to about $500 for the repair and a new muffler with the intermediate pipe. The guys were super fast and very friendly, really impressed with their shop.

I had a look at the underbody when it was on the hoist and the rest of the frame seems to be in decent shape, so no need to send the Fit to the grave any time soon- from what I’ve read, that manual transmission and engine is fairly bulletproof.