intermittent internet connection

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2020 9:48 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes

intermittent internet connection

Some guys were asking about this in here.

I was having this problem too, I was toying around this and found some info that can be helpful.

I have tried it on Wifi

On my Dlink Router dir 655 I did following changes

Advanced>Firewall Settings> Firewall Settings Enable SP1 is OFF

QoS Engine> Enable Traffic Shaping is OFF

In Wireless Manual setting
Dynamic IP Setting
Primary DNS Server is set to 9.9.9.9
Secondary DNS Server is set to 149.112.112.112

The are relatively new numbers so I don't know anything about security.

**Oh, I forgot make sure to use Channel 11, depending on your neighborhood, it could be 1 6, or 11. Use WirelessNetView software to figure out which channel.

PingPlotter graphing came out pretty good. Virtually no packet loss (very slim) and time millisecond was good too.
Internet is pretty stable at the moment. I haven't tried it on Wired connection yet but should be good.

If any of you have fantastic setting numbers let us know.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
should get a new router. that N router is 11 years old. No longer being updated.
get an AC Router.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
For time being I will be running Dlink dir -655. I'm running Outpost Pro Firewall. Ran Shields Up, found all my port are in Stealth mode test passed. Ran common port too they are in stealth mode too. Passed test.

I did have drop connection once again. I was running one of the latest firmware 2.12NA, On Dlink website they have 2.11NA listed. So I changed the firmware 2.11NA everything is running good.

If people are having dropped connection on internet. They can go back to pervious firmware (back and fourth firmware to get it working). Maybe resetting a router is good idea too, but remember your setting or better yet save config file on router.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
MasterMK wrote: Some guys were asking about this in here.

I was having this problem too, I was toying around this and found some info that can be helpful.

I have tried it on Wifi

On my Dlink Router dir 655 I did following changes

Advanced>Firewall Settings> Firewall Settings Enable SP1 is OFF

QoS Engine> Enable Traffic Shaping is OFF

In Wireless Manual setting
Dynamic IP Setting
Primary DNS Server is set to 9.9.9.9
Secondary DNS Server is set to 149.112.112.112

The are relatively new numbers so I don't know anything about security.

**Oh, I forgot make sure to use Channel 11, depending on your neighborhood, it could be 1 6, or 11. Use WirelessNetView software to figure out which channel.

PingPlotter graphing came out pretty good. Virtually no packet loss (very slim) and time millisecond was good too.
Internet is pretty stable at the moment. I haven't tried it on Wired connection yet but should be good.

If any of you have fantastic setting numbers let us know.
I don't understand what your asking? all you did was show that your using Quad9 dns resolver addresses. Swapping to opendns or google or cloudfare are equal options even adguards.

Now how is this related to intermitten internet? sure an over loaded resolver could be an issue in these dark times of over use.

Dns resolvers can have better or worse latency but thats not normally the underlying reason for intermitten internet loss. That's determined by your router log files. You have to separate wifi disconnects from cord too. Honestly rebooting fixes most on old hardware with memory leaks. But the time between each flush gets smaller with more connections. Thats one plausible scenario.

But another problem was with win10 and a feb/mar update that has caused intermittent lan and wifi dropping that has not been resolved and if you update quarterly in packs like some do you can't fall back either easily.

Now your using a dir655, pretty decent when we were at the 50 mbps isp packages but its wan to lan was good 10 yrs ago but not tolerable anymore. Ii think my memory has it around 245 mbps max, the processor wasn't fast enough if especially if aadded more clients. I remember because I went back to it after my new tomato based ea3200 maxed at 180 mbps and chucked it out for being so pathetic. Many fell back to 1.20/1 because it performed the best and was the most stable for it.But that just open a wad of doors. Honestly I wouldn't merit using it as a dumb switch anymore as it uses too much power vs a real switch.

I thought outpost went under a few years ago? Plus thats mostly client firewall vs at router. Blocking ports at router lowers overall demands on the router too vs being wide open.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
Few years back, I was playing around with settings in router for PS3. Actually did couple of changes in router setting. Also was going through different firmware.

Quite recently started reading web for my disconnection problem. The internet would randomly disconnect and connect afterward.

They say do a ping test. Type in ping www.google.com -t. The numbers were flowing and they said to look at time ms millisecond. I did look at it, they were on high side. For WiFi it should be going up to 80 ms and wired connection it should be 20-40ms. Mine was going up to 200, 300, 400, 500 even 1000 and 2000ms. I also had interrupt or stops between readings.

I found WirelessNetView software that gives out spec of other people WiFi in your neighborhood. It gives out Channel Number they are on and their Signal Strength and their security setting etc. So I figured out people who had best Signal Strength were on Channel 11. So I set my router channel to number 11 from 6 and did the ping test over again. This time no interrupt or stop and time ms was much lower too.

Still I had internet stopping but not frequently once in awhile. I looked at my firmware version 2.12NA (latest I got it somewhere). But on DLink website they only have 2.11NA. So I installed that and everything is working fine on WiFi computer. I have to make some changes on Wired internet computer with my Outpost Pro firewall.

I found those Primary DNS Server numbers and Secondary DNS Server numbers work best for me in terms of time ms. Most of time it remains in green in PingPlotter with very little packet loss percentage.

Yes I am running outdated DLINK Dir- 655 router and Window 7 Ultimate and Outpost Pro firewall. Twenty or so people in my neighbourhood still have 802.11n one has g so I assume they are with old technology.

This is basically for high school kids who have old technology, find their internet stops and start. They should look into Router settings, make some modification. I usually don't tamper with fixed setting but why not learn something along the way.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4370 upvotes
Winnipeg
how many clients roughly and whats the isp package?

Why ask? honestly when pings get that high in latency there's too much going on. Its called bufferbloat at wifi and at wan(qos helps against this by setting limits for fairplay makes it worse if its simple qos where you give cart blanche to gaming like the ps4 and it downloads files at max speed and everyone else has to suffer).But qos...kills the cpu its way too taxing.Lets be honest. As an owner of that hardware.....it was great then...but...it can't negotiate wifi clients worth a beans and has horrid signal strength. Once I went to wifi clients and higher resolution demanding more bandwidth...she was maxed out. Plus the internet is far more demanding on uploads than the day this was built for. Uploading,clouds ads etc was not an issue then and uploading is the most taxing of chores for routers.

try the adguard dns. Its gonna cut back ads from hogging bandwidth and packets its not the quickest but its cleaner than everyone elses.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
It's Teksavvy Cable 30 Unlimited with tax and all comes out to $50.79
ping 17ms Download is 29.72 Mbps and Upload is 4.90 Mbps

I usually don't use Upload too much

I had one computer downstair and one computer upstair with Wifi. My daughter has tablet and two cell phones.
The Phone and tablet works pretty good.

In my neighborhood there are 20 or so Wifi signals. Mine comes out on top, first one with Signal Strength being 60-64%. Most of the other are below 50% in Signal Strength.

Some I tried that aren't good are
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

Primary DNS 4.2.2.1
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

Primary DNS 1.1.1.1
Secondary DNS 1.0.0.1

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

Maybe I didn't try them with Channel 11. When I have more time, I might try them again.

adguard dns might work. But I have a feeling it will cause havoc running system. But then again it could stop the attack coming in.

I finally got it running almost perfect (very minor glitch slight packet loss)

I was quite surprised to see these number works very well time wise ms. I didn't think they would work
Primary DNS 9.9.9.9
Secondary DNS 149.112.112.112
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
MasterMK wrote: It's Teksavvy Cable 30 Unlimited with tax and all comes out to $50.79
ping 17ms Download is 29.72 Mbps and Upload is 4.90 Mbps

I usually don't use Upload too much

I had one computer downstair and one computer upstair with Wifi. My daughter has tablet and two cell phones.
The Phone and tablet works pretty good.

In my neighborhood there are 20 or so Wifi signals. Mine comes out on top, first one with Signal Strength being 60-64%. Most of the other are below 50% in Signal Strength.

Some I tried that aren't good are
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

Primary DNS 4.2.2.1
Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2

Primary DNS 1.1.1.1
Secondary DNS 1.0.0.1

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

Maybe I didn't try them with Channel 11. When I have more time, I might try them again.

adguard dns might work. But I have a feeling it will cause havoc running system. But then again it could stop the attack coming in.

I finally got it running almost perfect (very minor glitch slight packet loss)

I was quite surprised to see these number works very well time wise ms. I didn't think they would work
Primary DNS 9.9.9.9
Secondary DNS 149.112.112.112
Base on a number of things you've said, and implied throughout this thread...I've concluded that you don't know a few things.
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
op. please pay attention
replace your router
1.security risk
2.probably the reason for disconnects
chatbox wrote: Base on a number of things you've said, and implied throughout this thread...I've concluded that you don't know a few things.
Feb 22, 2006
811 posts
509 upvotes
First and foremost, take the router out of equation to see if it's even the router causing the problem. Log into your modem and look at your connection stats.
ERROR
--------------------------------------------------------
You cannot vote on your own post.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
weales wrote: First and foremost, take the router out of equation to see if it's even the router causing the problem. Log into your modem and look at your connection stats.
This is a good idea.

I might even do a factory reset on router in the end. Or will get a new router. But right now everything is working fine so leave it as it is until something crops up. Ping time is within 20 ms on Wireless, it almost like Wired connection only thing is signal strength is 62%.

Some of thing I am doing is basically trial and error. Learning from youtube.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
MasterMK wrote: I found those Primary DNS Server numbers and Secondary DNS Server numbers work best for me in terms of time ms. Most of time it remains in green in PingPlotter with very little packet loss percentage.
All communication on the Internet is done by using IP addresses, and not names.

When you type the command "ping google,com", your computer needs the IP address of google,com before it can proceed with the ping.

In order to get this IP address your computer connects to the DOMAIN NAME SERVER (i.e. DNS) that you had previously setup, for example 8.8.8.8

The DNS send the IP for google.com (e.g. 172.217.1.14) back to your computer , and then your computer can begin pinging 172.217.1.14. After that initial connection to the DNS, the DNS is not involved with the ping process at all.

So changing the DNS address can not have any effect on your ping times.

The only advantage of changing DNS servers is that changing to one that responds to your query quicker will allow your ping command to start quicker. Another possibility to what you experienced is that large companies like Google will have multiple servers on-line in order to distribute the load. The DNS servers should provide you with a random IP from the list of available addresses. This is also useful if one of Googles servers should be failed, you still have a chance of connecting to a working machine. Perhaps during your testing one DNS server connected you to a slower or more distant machine.

In this image you can see that you can ping google.com by it's name, which uses DNS to provide the IP, or you can ping the IP directly and eliminate the brief use of DNS.

Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
In the beginning I was on Channel 6 and can't remember the DNS server but is probably the one of 5 or 6 I listed. The ping time was high then 200 -2000ms or so. Maybe changing to Channel 11 and changing the DNS server to 9.9.9.9 have some effect on time. because min looks much better.(12ms-30ms)

I still noticed that my internet would disconnect and reconnect by itself when few keys on keyboard were pressed too quickly. But frequency of disconnect has diminished considerably.

Right now, I have changed Dynamic setting to Static Setting to see if it still disconnect.
If someone is trying this, the info you don't get from ipconfig but from your router mine was DLINK WAN Ip address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway.

If it still disconnect , I'll try to get back
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
MasterMK wrote: Right now, I have changed Dynamic setting to Static Setting to see if it still disconnect.
If someone is trying this, the info you don't get from ipconfig but from your router mine was DLINK WAN Ip address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway.
I'm very confused. Did you switch your router or your PC to static settings.

Since you mentioned the ipconfig command, I assume you set the PC to static settings. In that case the default gateway should have been the LAN ip address of the router, and the subnet address should also match the setting on the LAN side of the router. The actual static IP would need to be an unused address within the subnet created.

For example if your router had a LAN address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, then your PC could have an IP anywhere from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254. Of course it must also be outside of the DHCP range that is reserved on the router, and you must be certain that the address is not already assigned to another device on your network,
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
Inside Dlink dir 655 firmware. I went to Setup and Internet or Wireless internet. There is setting you can put it in Dynamic (DHCP) or Static Setting. If you use the info from ipconfig such ip address, subnet mask and default gateway. It will not accept it. In goggle chorme it will say WAN and LAN IP address can't be set to the same subnet.

Then I tried the spec posted in Dlink dir 655 firmware Status area. The number their are different not same as ipconfig info. I think subnet mask was only same but the other two are different.

When disconnect reconnect happen
this error pops up
You're not connect to a network
-check that all network cable are plugged in.
-Verify that airplane mode is turned off

I went to MS site
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7b7149ab8b
Did the Reset IP address part
NETSH INT IP RESET
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
Restarted computer, hope this fixes the problem
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
You so need to read up on DHCP, DNS, subnet, routing, ping and wifi channels. (Notice there's a thing called DNS cache...locally...this invalidates all you perceived results, unless you did something that wasn't mentioned in your posts)

Either learn, or pay someone to do it properly.

There's a lesson here: [Correctly] Understand how something works, otherwise, you're not testing what you think you are.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1842 posts
575 upvotes
I adjusted my dlink router again to Dynamic DHCP Setting. Samething as post Number 1. Channel 11 Primary 9.9.9.9 etc.

What I changed however is my Outpost firewall setting to most of it Optimal, it went from blue to green.

The following might or might not work with intermittent internet.

people were saying sleep mode and hibernation wasn't working properly in win 7. So I put my computer to Never sleep and probably took it out of hibernation.

I Quite recently found this

Device Manager>Network Adapter and find Ethernet one.
Right click for Properties
Advanced
-Disable Energy Efficient Ethernet (and green energy)
-Disable Wake on magic packet

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron ... -p/6216566

Even though I am on wireless right now it might or might not work.

The key I think is CHANNEL 11. Even Dotto tech guy on youtube says to use channel 11. The other key part is obviously your Firewall setting (Outpost firewall)

If you put your router on automatic, let computer select channel, it might choose a wrong channel. Mine would automatically choose channel 6

I have the computer on for couple of hours no disconnect so far.

My guess is when attack come though the firewall when setting is not good. That disable internet.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)