Computers & Electronics

Internet is being extremely unreliable, is there something that can be done?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 7:18 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 10, 2015
41 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Internet is being extremely unreliable, is there something that can be done?

Hi guys, im with carytel with 50/10 dsl line, montreal quebec, i've never gotten these speeds and didnt mind it so much but recently its been extremely unreliable, might be because im working from home and notice it more, or because of the increased load on the network but im starting to get fed up. Is there something that i can do on my end to improve speeds and reliability (internet drops very often) or should i just jump ship and get cable with a different provider? If I were to call carytel would there be something they can do to fix the issue? Im trying to avoid getting dicked around by support staff for a week.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
SaveHisKing wrote: Hi guys, im with carytel with 50/10 dsl line, montreal quebec, i've never gotten these speeds and didnt mind it so much but recently its been extremely unreliable, might be because im working from home and notice it more, or because of the increased load on the network but im starting to get fed up. Is there something that i can do on my end to improve speeds and reliability (internet drops very often) or should i just jump ship and get cable with a different provider? If I were to call carytel would there be something they can do to fix the issue? Im trying to avoid getting dicked around by support staff for a week.
They knew everyone would be working from home weeks ago, but still have bw issues and isn't promising anything. Yes you should jump ship asap. Rogers or Fido still has some promos
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1358 posts
470 upvotes
Download Wireless Net View program. It will tell you all the wireless network in your neighborhood and their signal strength. Click on Average Signal strength on top and it will put all of them in ascending or descending order. Then look at Channel Number, you'll get a picture of which cannel is prominent in your area (most likely it is Channel Number 11, but it could be 1 ,6, or 11). Go into your router Internet setting and change it to that Channel. Write down what Primary DNS and Secondary DNS numbers on piece of paper so you don't forget. If your willing to experiment put these numbers in Primary DNS 8.8.8.8 Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_ ... _view.html

My internet is working up too. As mentioned earlier it could be everyone working from home, school student and children using internet.

I am trying original setting for Primary DNS 1.1.1.1 and Secondary DNS 1.0.0.1. It's doing better with little bit of Packet Loss

Primary DNS 4.2.2.1 and Secondary DNS 4.2.2.2 looks good too.
Nov 14, 2008
813 posts
280 upvotes
SaveHisKing wrote: Hi guys, im with carytel with 50/10 dsl line, montreal quebec, i've never gotten these speeds and didnt mind it so much but recently its been extremely unreliable, might be because im working from home and notice it more, or because of the increased load on the network but im starting to get fed up. Is there something that i can do on my end to improve speeds and reliability (internet drops very often) or should i just jump ship and get cable with a different provider? If I were to call carytel would there be something they can do to fix the issue? Im trying to avoid getting dicked around by support staff for a week.
1. whats the model of the router, how many devices do you have connecting to it, how far are you located from the router, is there anything in between eg floors , microwaves?
2. Connect directly to the router via an Ethernet cable, use it all day connected, do the disconnects occur?