Home & Garden

internet cable drilling

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2020 3:11 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 19, 2009
103 posts
6 upvotes
Markham

internet cable drilling

Recently moved into a place that has never had internet access. Rogers/Bell cables are on the side of the house. There doesn't appear to be a conduit(is this the right word?) to the basement electrical panel. In the past, I've simply drilled had the technician drill holes wherever to get me connected (since the wiring was already a mess).

Is my best solution to have a technician drill the brick to wire the cables through? What do I need to keep in mind when patching the hole (for insulation/integrity purposes)
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 21, 2003
4395 posts
1749 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Edward- wrote: Recently moved into a place that has never had internet access. Rogers/Bell cables are on the side of the house. There doesn't appear to be a conduit(is this the right word?) to the basement electrical panel. In the past, I've simply drilled had the technician drill holes wherever to get me connected (since the wiring was already a mess).

Is my best solution to have a technician drill the brick to wire the cables through? What do I need to keep in mind when patching the hole (for insulation/integrity purposes)
If you have the means to drill the hole yourself I highly recommend it. I am an electrician and used to work for a contractor that had a service contract with Bell. We fixed a lot of problems made from the Bell techs not checking both sides of a wall before drilling. I've seen them drill directly through breaker panels, service masts, numerous wires near panels, etc. They just try to be as quick as possible. They setup on one side of a wall, pick their spot and drill away.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5686 posts
3434 upvotes
So the house has never had any phone service or cable either? Seems unlikely?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4837 posts
1443 upvotes
0 downvotes
my house has never had any telephone or coax wires either, when the internet tech comes, they will run the coax outside the exterior of the house and posibly thru the basement if they need to run it to the other side, and up the exterior walls and then into the bedoom of your choice, if u dont like this method, then you can pay extra to your own cable technician to run the wires yourself., the free install by rogers or bell or whoever is messy and they dont fish wires thru your walls.
Hi
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 19, 2009
103 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
fdl wrote: So the house has never had any phone service or cable either? Seems unlikely?
It is a new construction
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5686 posts
3434 upvotes
Edward- wrote: It is a new construction
Ok but usually new construction has Bell or Rogers hook phone/tv services. At least for tract housing in the GTA that’s what happens. I would expect my builder to take care of this conduit. Is this some sort of custom build ?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
11352 posts
3097 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Best would be for you to do it yourself so you can put it wherever you want and you know its done properly. You can also run Conduit so you can run new cables in the future as needed, for example if you change to bell from rogers or something similar this way you dont need to drill a new hole in the wall.
Edward- wrote: Recently moved into a place that has never had internet access. Rogers/Bell cables are on the side of the house. There doesn't appear to be a conduit(is this the right word?) to the basement electrical panel. In the past, I've simply drilled had the technician drill holes wherever to get me connected (since the wiring was already a mess).

Is my best solution to have a technician drill the brick to wire the cables through? What do I need to keep in mind when patching the hole (for insulation/integrity purposes)
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 19, 2009
103 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
This place has coaxial/cat5 outlets throughout the house but the actual bell/rogers lines have not been installed inside

I was hoping for a conduit to the basement but that isn't available (maybe I had to pay for it as an option?)
[OP]
Jr. Member
Oct 19, 2009
103 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
sickcars wrote: Best would be for you to do it yourself so you can put it wherever you want and you know its done properly. You can also run Conduit so you can run new cables in the future as needed, for example if you change to bell from rogers or something similar this way you dont need to drill a new hole in the wall.
Will look into this, thank you
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10275 posts
2872 upvotes
Edward- wrote: It is a new construction
my new construction had Telus and Shaw pulled under the ground to the house, full fiber into the basement with Telus
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3292 posts
2272 upvotes
Toronto
Decide which service provider you want, schedule an install and let them take care of it. Decide where in the basement you want your modem to live, or where the 'demarcation' point would be conveniently located. This is where the SP's wiring ends, and yours begins. Ideally you have unfinished basement between the box on the outside of the house and where the network cables terminate in your utility room or whatever they did.

They will bring the wire into your basement and install the modem etc. in the right place. You can then install your own router somewhere else in the house if you have ethernet runs already, or just use their modem. These days they have good range. I use Bell's 3000 modem in the basement of my 3 story brick house in Toronto and have decent connections all the way to the 3rd floor.
Member
Jul 21, 2005
371 posts
384 upvotes
Kitchener
My new build had Bell/Rogers pull fibre directly to the side of the house. They still had to run a fibre patch cable from the outside demarc into the house.
Something something dark side...

Top