internet cafe & Pc Repair in 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2020 1:43 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes

internet cafe & Pc Repair in 2019

I got a Internet cafe / Pc repair / Print Centre but its been very slow these days ... just wondering if there anyways i could make more money.
I was thinking if there is a way to start renting mailbox but i need information how to.
Is there any other money making ideas I could try at my shop with 10pc with internet and lots of space.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7094 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
If you have space try putting in a VR system, that might bring customers in but that creates liability if someone falls and whatnot.

Fighting games like SF5/MK/etc... tends to play much better in a LAN than over the internet because of lag, you could try to organize a small fighting game tournament.

As far as PC repair goes, if you can repair high value items like phones, ipads, nintendo switch, etc... that might bring in alot of customers. Maybe try your hand at simple data recovery and progress from there, data recovery is a very lucrative business.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1155 upvotes
As cell phones get more powerful, and everybody getting a data plan (even your grandpa), it's natural that the need for internet café is reduced. The only places that seem to stick around are the PC game cafes. There's a market for top notch gaming computers as some gamers can't upfront the money for it. Or their family only has 1 computer or something and they feel the need to play outside of their home. Maybe you can turn it into a gaming store instead? Kind of what the above poster is suggesting.

As for PC repair...I think again with powerful cell phones, and increasingly companies providing a work laptop, less and less people are owning personal computers. Even then, a lot of younger people can DIY to fix problems. I don't know what it is but I find that my newer computers don't break down as much. It's a dying business.

A better option all together might be to exit the industry and do something else entirely.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
Am not sure about gaming because how much is the cost for a gaming system and I don't want spend $600 on each system and see 5 people come to my store and only 2 using it. It got to be better ideas. Staples got print shop and seems busy. Is there a business advisor that I could call and pay to come to my shop.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2327 posts
919 upvotes
Toronto
The problem I see is that most people have Internet at home. Some people have slow Internet but it's there at home still.

How about putting in some tables, chairs, and a sofa and start selling coffee? Like a coffee shop. Like, leave a few computers there with some tables and chairs to start with. Unfortunately, this idea does require to spend money up front.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1155 upvotes
str8star wrote: Am not sure about gaming because how much is the cost for a gaming system and I don't want spend $600 on each system and see 5 people come to my store and only 2 using it. It got to be better ideas. Staples got print shop and seems busy. Is there a business advisor that I could call and pay to come to my shop.
You cant shell out $$$ for capital equipment but ok to pay for a business advisor to come to your store and probably suggest you spend money anyways? What do you expect the advisor to do? You are in a dying business. Even print shop is dying as more and more people go paperless. If I were you, I would start looking at your exit options if you don't want to try gaming. Even if you want to try, I am not sure how feasible it is. Visit any PC gaming café and see if you even have enough space to compete with other stores.

Most gaming cafes also sell drinks like coffee and pop. You can invest in a small coffee machine. Pop and water should be easy to source.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4852 posts
1561 upvotes
toalan wrote: If you have space try putting in a VR system, that might bring customers in but that creates liability if someone falls and whatnot.

Fighting games like SF5/MK/etc... tends to play much better in a LAN than over the internet because of lag, you could try to organize a small fighting game tournament.

As far as PC repair goes, if you can repair high value items like phones, ipads, nintendo switch, etc... that might bring in alot of customers. Maybe try your hand at simple data recovery and progress from there, data recovery is a very lucrative business.
+1 for the VR Gaming setup.

I recently visited a place in Richmond Hill https://goo.gl/maps/reiy9Dr1nsaLHPmZ7
They do a lot of kids parties and team-building stuff too.
It was such an easy setup - just high-end gaming computers, HTC vibe VR goggles, and curtained-off spaces.
It would cost a bit for the computer hardware upfront though.
I forget the per-hour prices, but they were not cheap.
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
455 upvotes
You can tel immediately that most of the posters in this thread are not business savvy nor have any business experience.

Suggesting a costly switch to VR game setup when the guy owns a tiny shop in likely a less than stellar location shows how out of touch these posters are.

Op it’s going to be a challenge for you because you’re really in a niche industry that lost its appeal about 15 years ago.

The only people coming to an Internet cafe are likely the extremely poor or the homeless.... and even then they could just go to the library.
A dedicated game shop requires a lot of up front capital and I don’t think the return is there.
A “vr” Game Center would require even more capital and is a stupid idea. Let cineplex entertainment deal with those clientele.

With regards to PC repair I don’t know how big that market is and I don’t know where you’re located. The demographics are important.
If you want to stay in the repair business you need to repair technology that is relevant.

Laptops
Cell phones

Problem is that hardware issues are quite rare and most people (mass) buy Dell Hp MacBook etc and the warranties mean they just go back to the manufacturer.

Cell phones are also cheap enough to just replace....or again go to Apple .... android people likely just get a new one rather than find a “shady” repair shop.

That being said cell phone repair buy/sell will likely giving you the biggest opportunity.

Anyway any more advice and I’m more than happy to create a business plan for you/consultation .
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18653 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
If people need access to the internet, they go to a mall, Starbucks or any cafe with internet access. Worse case, if they don't have a computer they go to the library.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto
str8star wrote: I got a Internet cafe / Pc repair / Print Centre but its been very slow these days ... just wondering if there anyways i could make more money.
I was thinking if there is a way to start renting mailbox but i need information how to.
Is there any other money making ideas I could try at my shop with 10pc with internet and lots of space.

My advice:

Everyone at that minimum these days (not everyone, but 90% I would say) at least in Canada have a very low end computer or phone that can receive internet access. I may be wrong on the %, but in the end I'm saying shut it down.

As for repairing electronics like Nintendo Switches, etc like you mentioned... Is it profitable? DEFINITELY, I've been doing quite a few in the last month since just getting back into it. But the reason I was able to just jump right back into it was because I have the knowledge and experience of soldering and repairing electronics from when I started back when I was 15 (I'm 33 now). It's not as simple as many people think as just watching a youtube video and being able to pull an HDMI port off of a PS4 or XBOX One main board. It takes a lot of time, patience, breaking things, and money while learning.

There's also the problem with people doing this type of thing out of their home/apartment (like me). I charge $80-$100 to do an HDMI port on a PS4/XBOX One however there's the kijiji ads with people charging $40 (because they're idiots) that take business away (that said, it's not taking that much business away when I tell people that say "Well this guy charges $40" and all I have to do is respond with "There's a very good reason they're charging $40, they're either using very low quality parts and/or they're learning and practicing and just want business". I had a customer come to me a week or 2 ago that said he had a guy try to do the HDMI port on his PS4 but it wouldn't work so he wanted a second opinion. Know what I found? 3 ripped pads on the main board that the port connects to, that turned into a $120 repair for me and it worked fine after that.

As for the VR thing, if you do have the space required, but aren't willing to buy medium-high spec gaming PCs plus the VR units, then don't bother. These VR places seem to pop up and disappear every now and then.

So really my advice is that if you are going to do repairs, do it out of your home, if you can't do anything else with the space you have, sell the business.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21505 posts
2768 upvotes
Toronto
how about a marijuana lounge?

Have some of the PCs for surfing, gaming etc but have marijuana sales, set up some ventilation for smoking etc.....

Also sell edibles etc.....make sure place is clean, well light and not grungy\skunky.....can also sell coffee etc...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Oct 7, 2017
213 posts
392 upvotes
I would personally be interested in hiring staff for phone call answering, administrative, mailbox, business management services for multiple businesses. I would love to either join forces. pm if interested. Thanks.
Oct 7, 2017
213 posts
392 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: My advice:

Everyone at that minimum these days (not everyone, but 90% I would say) at least in Canada have a very low end computer or phone that can receive internet access. I may be wrong on the %, but in the end I'm saying shut it down.

As for repairing electronics like Nintendo Switches, etc like you mentioned... Is it profitable? DEFINITELY, I've been doing quite a few in the last month since just getting back into it. But the reason I was able to just jump right back into it was because I have the knowledge and experience of soldering and repairing electronics from when I started back when I was 15 (I'm 33 now). It's not as simple as many people think as just watching a youtube video and being able to pull an HDMI port off of a PS4 or XBOX One main board. It takes a lot of time, patience, breaking things, and money while learning.

There's also the problem with people doing this type of thing out of their home/apartment (like me). I charge $80-$100 to do an HDMI port on a PS4/XBOX One however there's the kijiji ads with people charging $40 (because they're idiots) that take business away (that said, it's not taking that much business away when I tell people that say "Well this guy charges $40" and all I have to do is respond with "There's a very good reason they're charging $40, they're either using very low quality parts and/or they're learning and practicing and just want business". I had a customer come to me a week or 2 ago that said he had a guy try to do the HDMI port on his PS4 but it wouldn't work so he wanted a second opinion. Know what I found? 3 ripped pads on the main board that the port connects to, that turned into a $120 repair for me and it worked fine after that.

As for the VR thing, if you do have the space required, but aren't willing to buy medium-high spec gaming PCs plus the VR units, then don't bother. These VR places seem to pop up and disappear every now and then.

So really my advice is that if you are going to do repairs, do it out of your home, if you can't do anything else with the space you have, sell the business.
Lol, I think there could be pretty strict regulations about smoking indoor but a good idea if possible.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto
Pupsik27 wrote: Lol, I think there could be pretty strict regulations about smoking indoor but a good idea if possible.
Smoking indoors?

I'm basically saying an Internet / pc cafe isn't a long term business idea in these days.

About 15 years ago one opened in my area, had PC's, xbox consoles, etc and it only lasted 2 months as literally no one went.
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
455 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Smoking indoors?

I'm basically saying an Internet / pc cafe isn't a long term business idea in these days.

About 15 years ago one opened in my area, had PC's, xbox consoles, etc and it only lasted 2 months as literally no one went.
I think a gaming place could work in 2019, but it would need a lot of marketing to work and would take a skillful event planner to run tournaments and solicit business.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2002 upvotes
Toronto
Doebird wrote: I think a gaming place could work in 2019, but it would need a lot of marketing to work and would take a skillful event planner to run tournaments and solicit business.
There's one near my gf's place called Hive (I think) that's an e-sports/bar I'm pretty sure that seems to be busy. But this is in Toronto. I can't possibly see a place like this lasting anywhere else except somewhere like Toronto that has a ton of foot traffic in the area. Gaming consoles are cheap enough these days that people just buy them or wait a year and buy them then.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
Pupsik27 wrote: I would personally be interested in hiring staff for phone call answering, administrative, mailbox, business management services for multiple businesses. I would love to either join forces. pm if interested. Thanks.
Could u PM me i am interested to know your ideas.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2019
13 posts
2 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: My advice:

Maybe we could work together, I could just bring u the ps4 or xbox system for u to fix as long the price is right. PM me please
Oct 7, 2017
213 posts
392 upvotes
str8star wrote: Could u PM me i am interested to know your ideas.
Hey there,

Yeah, I just met an obstacle in my business... which was inability to answer phone calls and incoming messages/emails. Hiring a full-time employee is not feasible at this moment. Turns out there are services, that offer to hire an administrative assistant. 600-800$/month.

Basically because you have already an infrastructure with computers and internet. I think best way for
You is to turn your internet care into business development and management service. Where you would have a staff of 5-6 receptionists, one receptionist oversee 4-6 businesses(incoming messages, emails, phonecalls), offering your address, marketing, digital marketing, printing, web development and everything else under this umbrella. Think of it as office space with staff that other businesses use on subscription basis. Let me know if you like that. I bring a ton of knowledge and have great contacts for design, web and app development abroad that cost a fraction of regular price in Canada. Not to mention that you can hire sales rep
Wo can make phonecalls or door to door visits for companies that you serve.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4221 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
I am not expert but if you are in Toronto, I don't see many options like this:

Nothing to see here...keep looking.